The one bike...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: The one bike...

Post by reohn2 »

HPFlashman wrote:I gather I must order bits and bobs on some scale, from the UK - but the Surly LHT frame is firmly decided on. :wink:

As to wheels, I`ve seen mentioned in another tread, the XT tandem hub. Is this something to consider on a solo for the heavy rider ?

I havent been aware of such a hub before.

Tandem hubs are't neccesary,good quality MTB hubs such as 36 spoke Shimano LX hubs are more than good enough for the job.
A pair of wheels built with LX hubs, Sputnik rims and strong spokes would be bombproof.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

I'm 6' 5", 19 stone, and completed my custom-build Long Haul Trucker 62cm yesterday. It is the BEST. BIKE. EVER. It is so good I was in tears riding it and didn't eat last night because I was either riding it or staring at it. And hated the fact I couldn't do both.

I own five bikes - I know now I can sell the other four.

Pictures and full build spec and write-up to follow, but most of the ideas have been covered. (Spa built my wheels - Sputniks on Deore LX)

Acquiring knock-down end-of-line parts and with a modest staff discount from the LBS on some bits means it has cost me £870 for the basic build (sum of RRP £1,450) but will be £1,150 once Tubus racks, mudguards, computer, bell, bottle cages etc. etc. are fitted.
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

Malaconotus wrote:Pictures and full build spec and write-up to follow, but most of the ideas have been covered.

That write-up I`m looking seriously forward to... :D

Very happy to hear that you`re so taken with the machine. It gives a very good feeling, when a prosject is concluded with such results. Thumbs up and happy trails. :D :D

I found a complete Deore set on my wifes bike today, and have some, shall we say cunning plans for that group... :mrgreen:
Best regards

Harry
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

reohn2 wrote:Why? its only moving the caliper around the disc to the front of the frork blade.

But what are you going to bolt it to? Whether you have an ISO or post-mount brake, the mounting bolts are at the forward edge of the caliper.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

stewartpratt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Why? its only moving the caliper around the disc to the front of the frork blade.

But what are you going to bolt it to? Whether you have an ISO or post-mount brake, the mounting bolts are at the forward edge of the caliper.

Unless I'm missing something obvious I can't see the problem with a purpose made fitting similar to the one thats at the back of the fork blade which places the caliper in the correct position.
The braking effects make everything much safer as it makes the forces of the brake on the hub when applied similar to a rear one fitted to the chainstay and with no obstruction to m/guard stays either.Its just a matter of making the right bracket and brazing/welding it on.
The only problem would be one of cable routing which would exit the caliper downward and would have to loop up behind the fork leg,but I can't see that being a problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Disc mounts front right on these... http://www.cotic.co.uk/order/forks
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

reohn2 wrote:Unless I'm missing something obvious I can't see the problem...

Well one of us is missing something :)

You can't mount a standard caliper to the front of the fork on the left hand side. Try drawing it and see why it won't work - I'm evidently not explain it clearly. The only way you can do it is on the right hand side (which is effectively just the fork spun round 180 degrees and the rake reversed).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, you're not explaining very clearly.
I cannot for the life of me, understand why a standard disc calliper cannot be mounted front/left instead of rear/right on the front forks. The cable/hose would still exit from the top, the mounting boss would still be on the wheel-side, all that would happen, is that the wheel would in effect be rotating "backwards".
Mick F. Cornwall
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Mick F wrote:No, you're not explaining very clearly.
I cannot for the life of me, understand why a standard disc calliper cannot be mounted front/left instead of rear/right on the front forks. The cable/hose would still exit from the top, the mounting boss would still be on the wheel-side, all that would happen, is that the wheel would in effect be rotating "backwards".

Rear/right? You can't mount it there either (again, it's effectively just front/left spun round). The choices are rear-left (ie as normal) or front-right.

Here's a picture of a post-mount brake (which is just the first clear one I found - the issues with ISO are the same). If you move that caliper round the disc so that it's in front of the fork leg, the bolts are pointing into thin air, down towards the ground.

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

stewartpratt wrote:The choices are rear-left (ie as normal) or front-right.

Ah, got my knickers in a twist there!

So. Back to the question regarding mudguards and disc brakes.
If the calliper can be fitted on the front of the forks - (I thought they were generally fitted to the rear) - why do they foul a mudguard stay?
Mick F. Cornwall
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Mick F wrote:If the calliper can be fitted on the front of the forks - (I thought they were generally fitted to the rear) - why do they foul a mudguard stay?

This conversation is going in circles! :)

If fitted to the front of the fork (which can only be done on the right-hand leg, and there are few forks available with this arrangement) then they won't foul mudguard stays. No problems there. In the conventional position, ie at the rear of the left leg as used by the vast majority of forks, they'll generally (or at least have the potential to) get in the way.

The "why not just fit it to the front of the left leg?" (because you can't) business came out of the discussion of dyno hubs, not mudguards.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, circles! :D

I'd forgotten about the dyno hub thing - personally I would never bother with one. I was just thinking of myself and when I was planning on the refurbishment of my Mercian and considering discs.

I must pay more attention.
Mick F. Cornwall
aek

Post by aek »

+ 1 to Kelly Take offs, i've got them on my Surly LHT combined with Shimano Dura Ace down tube shifters, i wouldn't change them for anything.
Shifting is extremely accurate, i just can't see anything that can go wrong with this system!
I've got the 48cm Nitto noodle bars as i'm a big guy with wide shoulders, but i had them before on the Nitto Randonneur bars which are about 45 cm and you still have room for a Carradice Carradry 9L bar bag between them.

I'll post more pictures of them later this week.
aek

Post by aek »

Mick F wrote:
Valbrona wrote: ......Disc brakes usually suck because they often make the fitting of proper mudguards with stays not possible.
Why can't you fit mudguards on a bike with disc brakes?

When I had my Mercian frame refurbished a few years ago, I seriously considered disc brakes as an option. I could see no reason that normal mudguards would be precluded.

You can fit mudguards to any disc brake fork without any problems, i've done it even to forks that don't have any mudguard mounts.
There are various neat ways of avoiding the caliper, with my SKS chromoplastics, the mudguard struts were long enough to do some clever bending to avoid the brake caliper.
You can also use P clips of you really don't want interference, i have installed some with Pclips on a friend of mine's bike and he likes the way they look a lot more than the traditional method.

Disc brakes really do make your life a lot easier and your wheels last a lot longer. I know there's a lot of debate pro and con for them, but from my own experience, i would definitely go for a disc brakes specced frame if i were to buy a new frame now.
The Surly Disc Trucker will be the best looking disc brakes specced frame on the market.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

aek wrote:The Surly Disc Trucker will be the best looking disc brakes specced frame on the market.

Hm. I do love Surly bikes, but they're definitely - shall we say - function over form :)

The Kona Sutra was the most elegant disc-braked tourer I've seen, IMO.