The one bike...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JonMcD

Re: The one bike...

Post by JonMcD »

stewartpratt wrote: If you move that caliper round the disc so that it's in front of the fork leg, the bolts are pointing into thin air, down towards the ground.

Spot on!

The attached photos (if they gets past the mods) shows the position a disc brake caliper takes up if the pads are tightened to lock it to the rotor when in the conventional position, then the wheel is swung round to position the caliper to be in front of the forks. The black attachment bracket underneath the caliper isn't going to be able to be bolted to the front of the forks.
Attachments
Sardar Caliper Normal.JPG
Sardar Caliper Front.JPG
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I did a double take there - at first I assumed it was photoshopped and was suprised you'd made such a polished job of it :)
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

stewartpratt wrote:I did a double take there - at first I assumed it was photoshopped and was suprised you'd made such a polished job of it :)

I'm slowly building up a disc braked Dawes Sardar using an old Reynolds 631 frame that I had powder coated, so everything is suspiciously clean and shiny at the moment!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

But the point is - and you can see from the photographs - that disc calliper fitted to the left/rear, could be transferred to the right/front.
Mick F. Cornwall
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Mick F wrote:But the point is - and you can see from the photographs - that disc calliper fitted to the left/rear, could be transferred to the right/front.

Which no-one has ever denied, and which is clearly demonstrated by the existence of Cotic Roadrat fork as linked above.

But there were some claims that it would be possible to mount a caliper to the front of the left leg, and that's not the case.

Of course, you could do it, by making a totally non-standard caliper and a custom fork (or possibly by using a standard caliper and making an utterly bonkers fork); but since that arrangement would not only be extremely expensive to manufacture, but also only be of interest to people who had dynamo hubs and mudguards and refused to use P-clips to mount the stays above the caliper, no-one would ever sell any.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Got it. :D

Now, what about that dyno hub?
Can we have pictures in one syllable please! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I have no experience of dyno hubs and am happy to step out at this point :)
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

Mick F wrote:But the point is - and you can see from the photographs - that disc calliper fitted to the left/rear, could be transferred to the right/front.

Yes, as said before that's what the Cotic Roadrat does.
Attachments
Roadrat.JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

stewartpratt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Unless I'm missing something obvious I can't see the problem...

Well one of us is missing something :)

You can't mount a standard caliper to the front of the fork on the left hand side. Try drawing it and see why it won't work - I'm evidently not explain it clearly. The only way you can do it is on the right hand side (which is effectively just the fork spun round 180 degrees and the rake reversed).

Yep now I've seen the photo JonMcD has kindly taken you are spot on,I didn't think it would work out so far out :shock: so please accept my most humble apologies(bow,scrape,grovel :| )
It was the only way I could think of using a dynohub with a disc mounted to the front of the fork leg,I was aware of of the Cotic,and others,front right mounted one(s).
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

aek wrote:+ 1 to Kelly Take offs, i've got them on my Surly LHT combined with Shimano Dura Ace down tube shifters, i wouldn't change them for anything.

This sounds a bit intriguing, and a bit like belts&braces (in a positive way). Looking forward to the pictures. :)
Best regards

Harry
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

HPFlashman wrote:
aek wrote:+ 1 to Kelly Take offs, i've got them on my Surly LHT combined with Shimano Dura Ace down tube shifters, i wouldn't change them for anything.

This sounds a bit intriguing, and a bit like belts&braces (in a positive way). Looking forward to the pictures. :)

I think Aek means he has the D/ace D/Tube shifters fitted to the Kelly's,not as well as.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

reohn2 wrote:Yep now I've seen the photo JonMcD has kindly taken you are spot on,I didn't think it would work out so far out :shock:

Heh. I wanted to upload a drawing myself really, so I'm glad Jon stepped in :)
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

reohn2 wrote:
HPFlashman wrote:

I think Aek means he has the D/ace D/Tube shifters fitted to the Kelly's,not as well as.

I think we think of the same set-up, but I`m intrigued anyhow.

If I have the correct gist of it, he has the possibilty of either shifting on the DT or at the handlebars, both somehow on the same wiring. :) Anyhow - I`m looking forward to the photos, if its either mounting the DT shifters on the Kellys or if it both...
Best regards

Harry
aek

Post by aek »

reohn2 wrote:
HPFlashman wrote:

Exactly! The Dura Ace shifters are mounted on the Kelly Take Offs which are of course mounted on the Handlebars :)
The Kelly Take offs are just the mounts, they don't include shifters.
aek

Post by aek »

Here is a picture of my cockpit that shows the Kelly Take Off levers and Dura Ace shifters.

IMG_1642a.JPG

Edited to specify the Dura Ace shifters.
Last edited by aek on 4 Oct 2011, 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.