Balance Bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
karlt

Re: Balance Bikes

Postby karlt » 29 Sep 2011, 12:50pm

fatboy wrote:
Ash28 wrote:I took the chain wheel and chain off an ordinary childrens bike. Worked a treat and then I replaced them when she was able to pedal.

I didn't even take the chain wheel off (just the pedals) and taught my twins in a weekend.

Personally I think that balance bikes are unecessary and actually a bike with a chain is better and you can get one much cheaper.

Yeah, we tried that, he didn't like it. We're talking about a very nervous 4 year old who considers 3mph to be "going really fast!" when he's on his bike with stabilisers, who gets off to go down slight inclines, and is the sort of kid who can trip over just walking over a perfectly clear wooden floor - I'm borderline dyspraxic (couldn't independently ride a bike until I was 8 ) and he seems to take after me. It's 90% headology; he's cottoned on to the idea of a balance bike having seen someone on one, and engaging his enthusiasm is the most important thing here. That's why I'm asking about appropriate balance bikes; I'm not asking about alternative methods because we've been there.

meic

Postby meic » 29 Sep 2011, 6:36pm

Yma o Hyd

karlt

Postby karlt » 29 Sep 2011, 7:50pm

That's the one we're looking at; just a bit worried it's a tad small. Cheers everyone though; it's a toss up between that one and the one Vorpal suggested.

Ash28

Postby Ash28 » 1 Oct 2011, 6:41am

The Only Cyclist In The Village

WaitForPete

Postby WaitForPete » 4 Oct 2011, 9:20am

Look at Islabikes.

The wooden ones also get well used.