A4 size panniers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jackg

A4 size panniers

Postby jackg » 28 Oct 2011, 9:29pm

Any advice on which ones.
I have a pair of Karomoor or Caradice overlanders which scrunch the corners of thin A4 softback books such as piano grade books. I guess I might want to carry other gear in it as well but as I have not got any I don't know what carrying capacity they have, a bit chicken and egg really.
I have two quite heavy locks I carry as well, Kryptonite Fagetaboutit and Abus Granite 54, so I guess it will have to be robust. The rack I use is made of 8.2mm alum tube, kind of standard rear rack, 4 point fixing, I think it is German about 20 years old, modular screw together design.
There are different fixings on the panniers as well now, instead of a bungie and two clips the fixing are better now.

I have seen some Ortlieb and I know they are good quality.
But are these the best to buy?
Thanks for any advice.

snibgo

Re: A4 size panniers

Postby snibgo » 28 Oct 2011, 10:32pm

Most panniers are general-purpose baggy bags. They are plenty large enough for A4 soft-cover books, but will will shake them around somewhat. A briefcase style would be better. When I'm carrying papers I don't want squished (in conventional Altura Arc panniers), I clip them to a sheet of A4-size hardboard, or sandwich them between two sheets.

Few people have complaints about Ortliebs.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 28 Oct 2011, 11:15pm

http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/range/a4-pannier
I remember selling one of these to a vicar who wanted it to carry his "home communion set" - his words, not mine.
I found it refreshing and actually rather charming that he was happy to turn up on a bike for what some might regard as a rather solemn occasion.

drossall

Postby drossall » 29 Oct 2011, 1:06am

Doesn't have to be that solemn :D

They're used to take communion out to the house-bound and so on. If he normally "did the rounds" by bike, this would just be part of it.

jackg

Postby jackg » 29 Oct 2011, 7:57am

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

diapason0

Postby diapason0 » 29 Oct 2011, 9:35am

Carradice make a 'Bike Bureau' which is a useful pannier for carrying papers etc. But, any pannier will 'scrunch corners', especially if you are carrying other things. I carry a lot of sheet music and tend to put it into a laptop sleeve inside the pannier.

karlt

Postby karlt » 29 Oct 2011, 9:52am

531colin wrote:http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/range/a4-pannier
I remember selling one of these to a vicar who wanted it to carry his "home communion set" - his words, not mine.
I found it refreshing and actually rather charming that he was happy to turn up on a bike for what some might regard as a rather solemn occasion.

Vicars on bicycles are one of the sights that assures one that all is well in the world, and taking communion to the housebound would often be what they would be expected to be doing. However, they should be traditional frames, black for preference, with a SA 3-speed. Only third gear is every used, with a cadence of approximately 10 rpm. Hills are addressed by getting off and pushing. cf. little old ladies on bikes*.

*My father always used to comment that in his experience, women take bikes for walks. Not only do they** push them up hills, but ofttimes get off and walk them down hills.

**"they" being those women for whom this was true. I tried to point out that this was a bit of a circular argument, but you know what fathers are like.

Winkeladvokat

Postby Winkeladvokat » 29 Oct 2011, 10:15am

diapason0 wrote:Carradice make a 'Bike Bureau' which is a useful pannier for carrying papers etc. But, any pannier will 'scrunch corners', especially if you are carrying other things. I carry a lot of sheet music and tend to put it into a laptop sleeve inside the pannier.

This is an excellent bag for that purpose. Also has useful/well designed separate pockets/dividers so you can put e.g. a lock in the bag without it directly interfering with your papers. Also smart enough to carry around town without it obviously looking like you stepped off a bike. Also the double top flap which folds over the mounts stops your trousers getting dirty with the road spray that will have collected on the inside of your bag. A great bag!!!

Unlike Ortliebs, which are basically a sack with pannier mounts ;-).

diapason0

Postby diapason0 » 29 Oct 2011, 10:19am

Mine's the older version, but I don't think there's much difference. In fact, I'm going to pack it up with some music this morning for a practice in a cold church

vjosullivan

Postby vjosullivan » 29 Oct 2011, 11:16am

A cheaper alternative might simply to go to a stationers and get a plastic A4 box to put your books in. Music grade books are generally pretty thin, as I recall.
E23