Legal requirement for pedal reflectors - with SPD's???

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pmjt

Re: Legal requirement for pedal reflectors - with SPD's???

Post by pmjt »

cycloret wrote:Unless I'm mistaken I've not seen mentioned in this thread (though in others), SM-PD22 reflectors. I see they are available on eBay but as a link might not last long, this is what they look like.
http://www.starbike.com/php/product_inf ... &pid=10079

They clip to one side of double sided MTB pedals but in the process you are converting this side to a non-clipping flat pedal. They are so tough to remove I wouldn't expect people would be fitting and removing them frequently.

Just a note to say thank you for the advice :-) I got a pair of these SM-PD22's from eBay and fitted them before a 25 mile run yesterday. Full of worries they'd be like my SPD-SL's on another bike (i.e.: a nightmare to latch into) they turned out to me excellent - no problems at all.

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated :-)
alicej

Post by alicej »

I just got some orange reflective sticky tape to make my own pedal reflectors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270835123775? ... 1439.l2649

There's way more than I need, so if anyone else wants some just PM me and I'll put some in the post.
Ribblehead

Post by Ribblehead »

meic wrote:You can buy a platform that clips into the 540s making them into a single sided pedal with the reflectors in place.

I dont know where you can get them though.

Worth installing for the winter months or commuting.

I bought a pair from my LBS

The Shimano part no. is: SM-PD22

Just google it for a large number of vendors
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

cycloret wrote:SM-PD22 reflectors (SNIP) are so tough to remove I wouldn't expect people would be fitting and removing them frequently.

True: and if you want to use the platform they provide in order to pedal the bike in normal shoes, you have to increase the tension to maximum to stop them squirming about disconcertingly. But even on minimum tension they are hard to remove.

My technique, whilst holding the rear reflector to steady the pedal, is to insert a screwdriver into the back of the binding on the side nearest the crank, and twist it so as to pry open the hinged retainer. Then I pull the rear of this plastic item away from the crank and lift it upwards.
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
PW

Post by PW »

Time used to do a horseshoe shaped reflector which bolted on the outside of the old type ATAC. Difficult to damage, left both clips free and lasted years. Of course when mine went west they'd disappeared off the market. :cry:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

I may have a loophole for recumbent riders, or at least a largish subset of them.
We all know that in law a bicycle is a vehicle.
According to the Chronically Sick & Disabled Persons Act 1970,
“invalid carriage” means a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of one person, being a person suffering from some physical defect or disability;"

Invalid carriages are further covered in the 1988 Regulations thusly:

Class 1 invalid carriages are defined in the Regulations as invalid carriages which are not mechanically propelled.
Class 2 invalid carriages are defined as mechanically propelled invalid carriages with an upper speed limit of 4 mph. They are designed to be used on pavements.
Class 3 invalid carriages are defined as mechanically propelled invalid carriages with an upper speed limit of 8 mph and are equipped to be used on the road as well as the pavement. When being used on a footway, Class 3 invalid carriages must not be driven at a speed greater than 4 miles per hour.

It is clear that without power assistance, and if it is used by "a person suffering from some physical defect or disability", a bicycle (or tricycle) falls within the definition for a class 1 invalid carriage - which it should also be noted is the only class not subject to a speed restriction.

And an invalid carriage has no requirement for pedal reflectors.

So it's only the able bodied who need worry about pedal reflectors on recumbents or any other bicycle, unless it is a tandem or triplet (which are not "constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of one person").
I can't find any restriction on invalid carriages towing trailers though, so that should be ok.

The same Act (CSDPA 1970) exempts users from the ban on carriages on the footway:
Use of invalid carriages on highways.
— (1) In the case of a vehicle which is an invalid carriage complying with the prescribed requirements and which is being used in accordance with the prescribed conditions—
(a)
no statutory provision prohibiting or restricting the use of footways shall prohibit or restrict the use of that vehicle on a footway;

Clearly there is wide scope in the phrase "some physical defect or disability", which places no requirement that any such defect or disability be either permanent or mobility impairing, but I don't think it would be sensible to interpret it too broadly, as this may well be regarded as taking the micturate. But I don't think that a disability which requires the use of a modified bicycle or in particular prevents the use of an upright bicycle, would be particularly contentious.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Says nothing about the driver, only about the design of the vehicle.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PW wrote:Time used to do a horseshoe shaped reflector which bolted on the outside of the old type ATAC. Difficult to damage, left both clips free and lasted years. Of course when mine went west they'd disappeared off the market. :cry:

As far as I've been able to work out, they were never available on their own (apart from eBay). They either came with the pedals, or they didn't, and it wasn't generally possible to tell in advance who sold the pedals with reflectors, and who sold them without.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Legality aside, for what it is worth, pedal reflectors are incredibly effective on unlit country roads. Must be something to do with the up and down motion but I find when in the car it is often the first thing you see (if the rider isn't wearing major hi-vis or using one of those expensive front lights).
alicej

Post by alicej »

Garry Booth wrote:Legality aside, for what it is worth, pedal reflectors are incredibly effective on unlit country roads. Must be something to do with the up and down motion but I find when in the car it is often the first thing you see (if the rider isn't wearing major hi-vis or using one of those expensive front lights).

Yeah, plus they stick out a long way to each side, and there's nothing else that looks like them so they clearly say "bike" which means it's vulnerable, it's likely to be going slower than your car, etc.

I used to have pedals with flashing lights in the reflectors which were brilliant. Pity the bearings didn't last very long.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

alicej wrote:I just got some orange reflective sticky tape to make my own pedal reflectors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270835123775? ... 1439.l2649

There's way more than I need, so if anyone else wants some just PM me and I'll put some in the post.

Muchos gracias. I'll see what that does when I get a spare moment.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

pmjt wrote: I had no idea there were legal rulings on the requirements beyond a single front and rear light.

Me neither, I don't like the look of them, I've removed pedal reflectors from nearly all my bikes, usually soon as I get them, along with the spoke ones. :oops:
niggle

Post by niggle »

Rose bikes do the PD22 reflectors for £5.90 + £5.05 P+P: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:115758

I have also found the other reflectors for the pop-up SPD pedals like M424s here for 11.86 Euros plus 7.90 Euros P+P (about £17 in total): http://bicikli.de/shop/SHIMANO-spare-pa ... R-41J-9801 More expensive but with this set-up you retain clipping in on both sides of the pedal.
pmjt

Legal requirement for pedal reflectors - with SPD's???

Post by pmjt »

MarkF wrote:
pmjt wrote: I had no idea there were legal rulings on the requirements beyond a single front and rear light.

Me neither, I don't like the look of them, I've removed pedal reflectors from nearly all my bikes, usually soon as I get them, along with the spoke ones. :oops:

Ah yes, I removed the wheel ones too :oops: I've ordered a set of Cateye SLD 120s (I think that's the right part number), which are an led powered reflector which fit in the wheel :wink: Paranoid? Me?? :lol:
PW

Post by PW »

Wheel mounted reflectors I've always removed immediately, though I don't buy off the peg bikes anymore. The damn things used to be a menace, working loose on the move. A passing rider went over the bars with one as I was on my way home from work back in the late 80s. Even if they were safe, which they aren't, they're just extra weight exactly where you don't want it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!