Hub Gears and Trailers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Edwards

Hub Gears and Trailers

Post by Edwards »

I have inadvertently taken an others thread off topic after I suggested using a trailer with a bike that has hub gears fitted.
It was then posted that you should not use the two together. I am curious to know why this is and the reason behind this?
Where can I find any recommendations as to what types of hub is questioned?

I am in no way stating the above is right or wrong as I do not know, I just want a little more knowledge and understanding.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Andybg

Re: Hub Gears and Trailers

Post by Andybg »

The issue seems to be down to the attachment point on the bike for the trailer. It may require the replacment of the rear skewer but apart from that I can see no other issues.

I have a rohloff with a qr akewer and it has no issues
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thorn Nomad Mk1
Thorn Raven Sport Tour
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't see any specific reason why a hubgear and a trailer should not go together, although you might have to think about how the trailer fasted to the bike.

Eg, the Yak BoB uses special fittings - track nuts or q/r - with an extra element to accept the yoke of the trailer whose ends are shaped like front forkends. They wouldn't work with a Sturmey + toggle chain. Also, a hub brake, which might be combined with a hub gear, would have a reaction arm which might get in the way of a fiiting on the chainstay.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I've used a child trailer with a Rohloff - no problem.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I can think of two reasons if the trailer is heavy enough.

If you have horizontal dropouts to take up chain slack, there is a risk of the axle slipping under heavy brakes.
If your first gear is low enough there is a risk of stripping the gears in the hub due to the torque needed to climb steep hills.

Ps, Carry Freedom trailer and Rolhoff hub here.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I guess that generally some people comment on trailers when they have no experience of them.

I can assure everyone reading this thread, that MY trailer will go on any bike no matter what it's gearing or hub design.

Please search for "concrete blocks" on here to see the weight that can be safely towed.

We run the local Poppy Appeal, and recently - and last year - I took VERY heavy coin of the realm to the Post Office in the village to pay in. Have you ever tried to pick up £1,500 in £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, and copper? By the time I'd loaded up my trailer, I couldn't even lift it!!!

However, Barbarella with her 8sp Nexus and me managed to get it to the village half a mile away - some of it up hill in bottom gear and some of it down a 1in4 with the brakes hard on.
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I believe every body who tows trailers with hub geared bikes and have no question that the bike and gear system.
I was more wondering if there is any information from the hub manufactures also if there is something else I do not know about hub gears?
Keith Edwards
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hub gears have a minimum gear ratio, but I wonder if there's a maximum gradient or a maximum all-up bike weight stated?

What about fat riders?
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:Hub gears have a minimum gear ratio

they do, but it's a bit vague isn't it? it can't be the same for an 11 year old living on norfolk as it would be for jeff capes on his way over the hardknott pass can it? i suppose it's for most riders, most of the time

as for trailers and hub gears...here we are breaking the rules :wink:
PW

Post by PW »

There's also the matter of some hub gears being a LOT stronger than others.
That old SA bit of advice for instance, don't gear the direct drive below 2/1. It's a load of cobblers if you run an AW 3 speed. I used to have a winter iron with a 2X2 X 3 derailleur/hub compound system, low gear was something like 34 X 21 and back then I was a big strong lad with a habit of carrying the kitchen sink up a house side. I recall being warned not to try the same system with the early SA 5 speed though, apparently they were a good deal weaker.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can understand that some hub gears have limitations - even some derailleurs have limitations! - but what's wrong with trailers specifically?

Weight is weight when you go up hills. The OP is about trailers - specifically, and was brought about by someone saying that hubgeared bikes and trailers shouldn't be mixed.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

I was working on the principle that some will stand more load through the internals than others, either from mechanical advantage or overloading. I notice the original culprit's done a runner! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

PW wrote:I was working on the principle that some will stand more load through the internals than others, either from mechanical advantage or overloading. I notice the original culprit's done a runner

That is what I though as I had read some of the old Sturmy Archer hubs do not work that well with heavy loads. That got me wondering do different manufactures give different loads and weights that their hubs can move.

I would not use the term culprit but somebody that has provoked some thought. I hope to learn something from this.
I have noticed most of the Toglechain lot have done a runner though.
Keith Edwards
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Edwards wrote:I have noticed most of the Toglechain lot have done a runner though.

why - because they haven't replied in 6 hours? :roll:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Edwards wrote:
PW wrote:I have noticed most of the Toglechain lot have done a runner though.

I've just sidled into this thread :oops: I was hoping to have been able to confirm that a Sram 9sp i-motion hub would have no problem dragging (substantial) me and my Bob loaded Ibex around. I ordered a towing arm suitable for a 700c/28 inch wheeler from SJS last week. Unfortunately they sent me a 26 inch one :( Still waiting for a reply from them. In fairness it was bagged up as a 28 inch version, but still annoying :?
I intend to use the Ibex behind my GT 29er ( which was single speed when it was born but has since been developed in many ways :wink: ) and Raleigh Pioneer workbike.
Of course with that hub there are no toggle chains, which makes fitting the axle end nuts easier. These I'll make myself at a fraction of the cost of the Bob ones.
As the only other bike I have which will currently tow the trailer is a Dawes Sardar 26 inch wheeled trekker with 27 gears, I can't be of much help for the time being.
As previous posters have said, I wouldn't expect the load to be a problem at all - just the method of hitching up.

Steve