Ortlieb panniers, what racks?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
theviking

Ortlieb panniers, what racks?

Post by theviking »

Hi,
I am planning my first cycle tour in Norway this summer and want some advice on pannier racks.
I want to get some Ortlieb roller classic panniers for both the front and rear but I have read that the are not compatible with some racks due to some funny mounting bolt. What racks would you recomend to fit these panniers and which should I avoid?

Also will the rear rack on a Dawes Galaxy take the panniers I want?

Many thanks for any help. :D

Andy S
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I have a pair of Ortlieb Roller Classic rear Panniers. I think they are very good and I like them. They come with two sets of clip inserts for the top hanger hooks that attach to the carrier to make allowance for different tube diameters of the racks. I have an 06 Ultra Galaxy and they fit the standard supplied rack without any problems. I also use them on my mountain bike and recumbent trike which have different make of rear racks fitted with no problem at all. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the use of front panniers or racks as I don't find a need to use them. I prefer to use a Carry Freedom Trailer for heavy, bulky items and my rear panniers for lightweight items to keep my bike light and responsive. Hope this helps.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I've just got the Ortlieb Classic Rollers...rear and front. There come supplied with 2 sizes of clip inserts of 8 & 11 mm. I think there are the best, great for the shopping as well on tour. Can't understand about the mounting bolt, my front bags are attached to a low rider rack and fit ok. The rear is fitted by the Q2 clip and the hooks can be adjusted. Have a look at this diagram http://www.ortlieb.com/index2.php?lang=en
Cunobelin

Rack problem

Post by Cunobelin »

The problem with the front racks is because the Ortleib design has a small rotating insert to the clip which secures the pannier in place.

Some front racks have a plate that stops this happening such as the Blackburn:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Blackburn-FL1-STD-NON-Custom-Low-Rider--to-fit-frames-w-out-bosses--Silver-114.htm

The other design has two very close tubing rods which converge, this allows the rack to be secured on both inner and outer fork braze-ons, but again preventing the secure closing of the clip, such as the Nimrod rack:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Nimrod-Nimrod-Custom-Low-Rider-Silver--to-fit-frames-with-braze-ons-8325.htm

Any rack with a single strut such as the Tubus should work fine with an Ortlieb pannier set as the clip can engage:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Tubus-Nova-Low-Rider-Stainless-steel--Silver-finish-10181.htm

I hope this makes some sense.

Note - I chose SJS simply for examples, as always shop around for prices
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Rack problem

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Cunobelin wrote:The problem with the front racks is because the Ortleib design has a small rotating insert to the clip which secures the pannier in place.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Blackburn-FL1-STD-NON-Custom-Low-Rider--to-fit-frames-w-out-bosses--Silver-114.htm

If you have that type of rack you can with a bit of an adapation swap the sides so that the lip of the plate faces inwards and not outward as shown, that way the pannier clips still have something to hook around. Still not ideal it has to be said as the Ortlieb clips are designed to go the whole way around the pannier tube/bar so the others racks that "Cunobelin" mentioned were better.

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
andrew_s

Re: Rack problem

Post by andrew_s »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The problem with the front racks is because the Ortleib design has a small rotating insert to the clip which secures the pannier in place.

If you have that type of rack you can with a bit of an adapation swap the sides so that the lip of the plate faces inwards and not outward as shown, that way the pannier clips still have something to hook around. Still not ideal it has to be said as the Ortlieb clips are designed to go the whole way around the pannier tube/bar so the others racks that "Cunobelin" mentioned were better.

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

You can also just make a hole in the plate where the clip wants to go. It means that you can't change your mind on where to put the hooks, but that's a minor problem.
Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

I would certainly not trust the racks that Dawes supply unless they are known to be from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. blackburn or tubus). Both the front and rear ones supplied on my Galaxy snapped when I tried carrying camping kit, up to about two thirds the weight that they told me over the phone would be OK.

I have had a tubus cargo on my Galaxy for nearly a year now at CJ's recommendation and it has been excellent. Spa cycles do them relatively cheaply. I think that it actually helps to make the bike more stable even unladen, as it is so stiff. I can pile as much as I can fit on it and it still doesn't wiggle about like the other one did.

Andy :-)
LowPlainsDrifter

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

Tallis the Tortoise wrote:I would certainly not trust the racks that Dawes supply unless they are known to be from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. blackburn or tubus). Both the front and rear ones supplied on my Galaxy snapped when I tried carrying camping kit, up to about two thirds the weight that they told me over the phone would be OK.

Andy :-)

Just a matter of interest do you know what racks they were on your Dawes? was the rear a Bor Yueh? Thats whats on my (recently aquired used ) Dawes Sadar and I thought it seemed to be pretty tough.
cheers, Martin.