Longer mudguard stays...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
drsquirrel

Longer mudguard stays...

Post by drsquirrel »

I have some SKS Bluemels running on a single (fixed) gear - problem is when I moved back to 25c tyres the wheel sits too far back to run a 12t cog so i've had to put it on a 13t for now but is less than ideal.

I could take a link off but that will bring the wheel too far forward and there won't be enough room under the brake bridge.

I could do with longer mudguard stays - I've seen them on sale before but does anyone know where I could find some? (as im struggling now)
Smut Pedaller

Re: Longer mudguard stays...

Post by Smut Pedaller »

I'm not trying to make fun of you, but searching "sks spare stays" gives me plenty of sources?
http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=sks+spare+stays
smutpedaller.blogspot.com
drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel »

Spares yes, longer ones no...

ie. normal length kit here http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-mudguard ... -prod8043/

But I've seen in the past special long stay kits, yet cannot find any right yet :/

The rear has 2 stays, mounted on the lower stay mount. If you look at the Crud raceblades they only have 2 stay from the lower mount to high up on the mudguard with none to the rear - maybe I could try mounting mine with "half" of the stay... luckily I have a spare set of standard length stays that I could play with. That or some how extending the current one, if anyone has any ideas?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

How about a strip of metal with a hole each end?
One end mounts to the dropout, the other end holds the 'guard?
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

531colin wrote:How about a strip of metal with a hole each end?
One end mounts to the dropout, the other end holds the 'guard?

Yes, I have done the same years ago on an old winter hack with a couple of bits of 'meccano', by far the easiest and cheapest solution.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

When fitting new guards they often have to be cut down to fit. So the new spare stays may well be long enough. Perhaps you could measure the stays on a new (unfitted) set of SKS guards in a shop and estimate whether they would work on your bike. Then you could order the spares mentioned above. You might prefer to get your local shop to order the spares in specially, if they will do this.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel »

I haven't cut the stays on either of my SKS kits, so im not sure the purpose of measuring new ones again? Unless of course you mean another brand.

The front stays are the same length also, which have a slightly different mount point but doesn't help.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

drsquirrel wrote:I haven't cut the stays on either of my SKS kits, so im not sure the purpose of measuring new ones again? Unless of course you mean another brand.

The front stays are the same length also, which have a slightly different mount point but doesn't help.

I guess I jumped to conclusions again. I assumed the guards were already fitted and presumably cut to a snug fit, and because you were changing to larger tyres they were no longer long enough. As you were.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Smut Pedaller

Post by Smut Pedaller »

Ok that still sounds really odd to me because from what I remember fitting the SKS chromoplastics to a road frame with fatter tyres (700c x 32) also with horizontal dropouts, out of the box the stays still had an extra inch or two, that was with the rear wheel all the way back in the dropouts. I'm assuming you're running 700c wheels, with the mudguards and stays intended for a 700c wheel??? Maybe pics would help.

How about fitting a single half link? That should move the wheel forward a smidgin
smutpedaller.blogspot.com
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Although the secuclip is primarily for the front mudguard, the use of a pair at the back will extend the stays by about 10mm.
You can get them as individual spares from chainreaction, SJS or other major suppliers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil_Lee wrote:Although the secuclip is primarily for the front mudguard, the use of a pair at the back will extend the stays by about 10mm.
You can get them as individual spares from chainreaction, SJS or other major suppliers.

Or PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel »

My SKS Bluemels were both for 700c wheels in the narrowest model they have. 700x20-28 - Narrow

My first set broke because the brake bridge clip wasn't tight and the vibrations/movement wore through the guard and I lost the rear. For 6 months I rode with JUST the part of the mudguard from the BB up to the brake bridge (works pretty well at stopping your feet getting wet!).

Before I changed from 25 down to 23c I was using a 14t - after the mudguard broke I changed to 13t then 12t, and then changing to 23c. I've stolen the wheels (and tyres) running the 23c for my track build so back to the old original 25c etc... At no point did I cut any rear stays, but I did cut the front ones.

SKS Blumels come with 2 different stays, both the same size hole to end. The front one have some plastic ends like the Secu Clips but not the same. Apparently these are removable without using a tool but I have yet to get it out (or need to as it happens). So I never ended up cutting the wrong ones etc (and using the spare front set of stays won't be any longer either).

I checked my old stays against the new set and they are the same length etc.

Smut Pedaller wrote:Ok that still sounds really odd to me because from what I remember fitting the SKS chromoplastics to a road frame with fatter tyres (700c x 32) also with horizontal dropouts, out of the box the stays still had an extra inch or two, that was with the rear wheel all the way back in the dropouts. I'm assuming you're running 700c wheels, with the mudguards and stays intended for a 700c wheel??? Maybe pics would help.

How about fitting a single half link? That should move the wheel forward a smidgin

Ideally I don't want it any further forward as its very close to the brake bridge anyway, going from 13t to 12t will move it back then half link will omve it forward again. Id rather extend it to the rear and have the space behind and in front.

reohn2 wrote:
Phil_Lee wrote:Although the secuclip is primarily for the front mudguard, the use of a pair at the back will extend the stays by about 10mm.

Or PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple :)

SecuClips seems an idea, I assume the old stay just pops in the end, would be handy as well as I need to remove the rear mudguard nuts to remove the rear wheel (horizonal drop outs).

I'll take you up on that offer thanks :)

btw what is the difference between 3 and 4mm ones, thickness? whole diameter?

This is the bike when I first installed them...

I run it slightly differently now, I did use these wheels for a while but now reverting to the old ones (you can also see my old half mudguard on the rear).

I don't understand how they fit originally, I was able to use the black tops on them before, but currently I have removed the black ends of the stays so I could mount the stay in the nut as close to the end as possible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Your problem stems for the position of the m/guard eyes on the frame,they are much further forward than a frame with horizontal d/outs,which tend to be either just above the wheel axle or to the rear of it slightly.
Either way it would give you far more rear clearance for wheel removal and tyre to guard clearance with the wheel fitted.
I don't know the difference between 3 and 4mm securclips but suspect its stay diameter.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I got so fed-up shortening stays with a hacksaw that I bought a small boltcropper to do it, so I was a bit baffled until I saw your pic. I have a vague memory of something for frames without eyes which consisted of a U-shaped metal plate which fitted over the axle like a washer (one on either side of the wheel) with and the stay fitted to that. Potentially a faff because the mudguard has to be repositioned every time the wheel is removed or even moved in the frame. but with rear-opening fork ends it might make things easier because it would be possible to remove the back wheel without having to remove the screws holding the stays in place.
rootes

Post by rootes »

Spares yes, longer ones no...

On my single speed Pearson I use the SKS Secu-Clip Kit...(normally used only for the front guards) at the rear as well

useful as it lengthens the stays (which you need)

and for bikes with Track/rear facing dropouts you can quickly unpop the stays to make getting the rear wheel out easier