Rigida rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Malaconotus

Re: Rigida rims

Post by Malaconotus »

26" Sputniks here; no issues fitting Marathon HS368 1.6, Marathon XR 2.0, or Marathon Winter 1.75. All went on and came off easily, but 26" tyres are usually easier IME.
neila

Post by neila »

In defence of the Chrina rims, I tried a marathon on an open pro & found it too loose a fit, it wouldn't stay on. Its fine on a Chrina though..
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gbnz wrote:
The rim I'm replacing is a Mavic open sport, ..............................

Which gave you the most miles - a Mavic rim or a cheap tyre?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I've heard that Rigida rims are British Made. Is that right? - does anyone know?

I can't find a website for Rigida - plenty sites from people selling them but I can't find details about the company.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rigida do not exist as a company any more.

The UK factory closed and moved to Holland, and now the whole concern has moved to China.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Rigida rims are now made by (and sometimes sold as) 'Ryde'

see the Chicken website http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thanks for that everyone. I wasn't asking about the range or quality - I have only heard good reports.

There is another thread on the forum on which someone has posted the information that Rigida rims come with a decal or engraving saying "Made in England". Is that right? - are they made in England - or Britain - or is it just the "Made in England" sticker thats made in England?

The facts won't make me change my intention that the next rims I shall buy will be Rigida - I'm just curious to find something British made.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Never been made in the UK. Older Rigida rims with a Made in the EU sticker might still be available, but I think it is the case that all their stuff is now made in the Far East.

I'll be jiggered if I can find the Weinmann/Rigida/whatever they are called nowadays website.
I should coco.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Valbrona wrote:Never been made in the UK. Older Rigida rims with a Made in the EU sticker might still be available, but I think it is the case that all their stuff is now made in the Far East.

I'll be jiggered if I can find the Weinmann/Rigida/whatever they are called nowadays website.

Try WWW.chicken.co.uk
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Valbrona wrote:Never been made in the UK..

see http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62914
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

JohnW wrote:
There is another thread on the forum on which someone has posted the information that Rigida rims come with a decal or engraving saying "Made in England". Is that right? - are they made in England - or Britain - or is it just the "Made in England" sticker thats made in England?

That's me. For those of you that are interested, further details as follows;

Raleigh Pioneer 140. 2002, cost about £160.
Rims do not have stickers/labels, but both are "stamped" or engraved with the following information in a continuous line along the rim.

"RIGIDA MADE IN ENGLAND DIN AS26F 20 X 622 214331D"

Edit to include hub info: Alloy hubs are engraved as "Joytech" - whatever that is?

Happy cycling.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Never been made in the UK..

see http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62914

That's what I was referring to. The thick plottens, doesn't it?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW wrote:Thanks for that everyone. I wasn't asking about the range or quality - I have only heard good
You obviously didn't read my comments then. Or Ferrit Worrier's comments either.

FW's rims were too great a diameter for him to get his tyres on, and I had two different diameters. One of my wheels had variable width enough to create a rhythmic judder when I braked.

I will not be buying Rigida again. When these wear out, I'll be looking for a completely different make.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:........................You obviously didn't read my comments then. Or Ferrit Worrier's comments either...............

I'd forgotten them to be honest. There is certainly a range of experiences on this thread, now I come to go back to the beginning.

I had some Rigidas many, many years ago - when your dad was a lad - and they were fine. They seemed identical with a pair of Milremo rims that I'd had on another bike - so that dates them, doesn't it?

In recent times, consequent upon Mavics' low mileage, several cyclists of my acquaintance have turned to Rigida, and apart from them being a bit heavier and less responsive than open pros, no-one has had any problems. They are starting to show higher mileages now.

Anyway Mick - if I was contradicting you, I'm sorry.