Chain Catcher

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: MickFangStop (patents pending)

Post by Mick F »

Ferrit Worrier sent me a short length of tough nylon tube. Thanks FW! :D

With a Stanley Knife - I still have all my fingers! - I cut it to length, then using a small vice to hold if firmly, I cut a slit along it.

The tube was too tough to open out to slip onto the clamp, so I immersed it in a cup of very hot water. Trouble was, by the time I was trying to slip it on, the tube had cooled again! So I then immersed the clamp as well.

Trouble with that though, was the clamp was too hot to hold! :oops: Consequently, it was trial and error to get the clamp hot enough - but not too hot, and the tube as hot as possible to get it on.

Eventually, I made it, and TBH it looks good. I was worried that the nylon would be permanently distorted and not hold tight, but it seems solid enough.

I had intended to go for a ride today, but the temp was -8c this morning! I'll wait until the weather warms a little for a test ride.
Mk2.1 1.jpg
Mk2.1 1.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
Mk2.1 2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Not wishing to discourage all your invention but the N-Gear Jump Stop does exactly what you want. I had the same problem on our tandem and (very common problem on tandems) and cured it completely by fitting one.

It is one of the "existing solutions" you highlighted at the start, but it is not the case that it can only be obtained from the USA. JD Tandems, in Gargrave, stock them http://www.tandems.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s16p27.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Well, thanks to Mick's experimentation and R2's persistence, I think the N-gear Jumpstop has received more free advertising than it could ever have achieved through traditional advertising alone. But I hope the home made alternatives have been shown to be cheap and viable as well. And better than the Dogfang.

But I still want to see someone produce a home made dangler style stop.

However, do we honestly know why the chain over-shifts past the granny ring? In particular, what has changed in Mick's set up that meant that for years there was no problem and yet now it has become a persistent problem?
Similarly, the drivetrain off my old Galaxy has been fitted to my new workhorse (which I'm pretty certain is a new style Galaxy frameset of some description). Where as I never had a problem in the bike's previous incarnation, in the new set up it persistently unshipped. Until I fitted the Chain Check-mate (TM :wink: ). The chain is different however (although both have been HG93's).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You're not discouraging me, so don't worry.
I want to sort this invention myself. Other than brain power and FW's postage of the nylon tube, this has cost nowt to do.

Plus it's keeping me amused.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:You're not discouraging me, so don't worry.
I want to sort this invention myself. Other than brain power and FW's postage of the nylon tube, this has cost nowt to do.

Plus it's keeping me amused.

No but we've both worn three fingers out typing and its cost FW postage :?
You're easily pleased

Goatwarden
The Ngear isn't new,its been on the market for some 15years.Its also cheaper here:-

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick F wrote:Plus it's keeping me amused.

Me Too :D :D :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well thats three of us having a laugh :mrgreen:
W H Auden
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

reohn2 wrote:Well thats three of us having a laugh :mrgreen:

And I'm still enjoying this thread..... :lol:

David
(Proud Dog Fang owner)
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

I find the Jump Stop to be effective but setting it up can be a bit awkward. There's not lots of space to get in a hex key and there's a tendency for the position to change as you tighten the screw. As mentioned before, most modern carbon frames seem to come with a square-ish downtube so something like a Token, Rotor or K-Edge chain catcher is what fits.
rjb

Post by rjb »

You could also use an old clamp on front mech from your scrap bin. Cut the outer cage plate and horizontal connecting sections off and you have a readily adjustable jump stop. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:You could also use an old clamp on front mech from your scrap bin. Cut the outer cage plate and horizontal connecting sections off and you have a readily adjustable jump stop. :D

It'd be no good if it were black though :roll:
W H Auden
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

How about using a zip tie, cheap as chips. :wink: Courtesy of http://weightweenies.starbike.com

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent idea except for one thing.

With an over-sized down tube and a close fitting double chainset, a zip-tie head would reach ok. However, with a traditional steel DT, the head would be an inch away.
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I wasn't being serious. It's just that the weightweenies website WOULD have to have
an item that weighs about as much as a fingernail.
Last edited by De Sisti on 5 Feb 2012, 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
....... and good luck to them!
Mick F. Cornwall