Chain Catcher

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: MickFangStop (patents pending)

Post by Mick F »

PS.
They'd save a bit of weight if they cleaned their chains .............
Mick F. Cornwall
g00se

Post by g00se »

Just fitted a dog fang yesterday. On Ebay, you can get them for about 4.50 - though that's still about 4.49 more then your cost :-) .

Just for info, the dog fang is adjustable, you twist it around it's axis until the curved tooth is the right distance from the chain/ring.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

This is the clamp half of a Halfords rear lamp bracket. I bet it weighs less than the aluminium jobbie.

Distance adjustable.
If the inner ring is really close, just chop off the pertruberance and use the clamp band boss as the chain guide.

Its plastic, silent, slightly flexible and does not damage the chain. It has a curved guide just like a commercial Dog fang.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Wow ayesha - where's the big ring, do you live in an exceptionally hilly area :shock:
Those old lamp bracket clamps come in useful for all sorts of fixes.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

rjb wrote:Wow ayesha - where's the big ring, do you live in an exceptionally hilly area :shock:
Those old lamp bracket clamps come in useful for all sorts of fixes.

Its a 36/22 chainset. I've got a 12 - 27 cassette now, so that's 21 to 81 inches.

I rode round California on a Spesh Allez sport which was set up similar. 32/22 with 11 - 25.

When I came back to England, I stopped using the 52 ring on this bike's OE chainset, so fitted the Californian set-up with a slightly higher top and a lower basement.

When I fitted the 36 ring in place of the 32 ring on a MTB chainset, that's when the chain unshipping problems started.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Fabulous invention, MickF.

You'll be telling us that you've toed your brakes in to stop squeaky brakes next! :wink:
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

stoobs wrote:Fabulous invention, MickF.

You'll be telling us that you've toed your brakes in to stop squeaky brakes next! :wink:

Next week we'll learn the correct way to fold our trouser legs before tucking them into socks. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a quick update.

The Mk2.1 version with the nylon tube is ACE! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Just a quick update.

The Mk2.1 version with the nylon tube is ACE! :D

Are they available in black?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Chain catcher

Post by rjb »

Took the tandem chainset off today to turn around a worn middle chainring. When it was off I noticed a dig in the chain stay probably caused by the chain having been unshipped from the inner chainring. Carefully radiused the gouge with a needle file then added a chain catcher made from a £1 shop led lamp bracket. It's a perfect fit. :mrgreen:

Led lamp bracket clamp
Led lamp bracket clamp
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DaveP

Re: Chain catcher

Post by DaveP »

Top prize for creativity, but you must realise that this is going to wear away quite quickly if its ever needed.
http://n-gear.com/index.html for the fit and forget version :)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
BigG

Post by BigG »

If it wears away quickly, then you have a front mech adjustment issue. It should only be needed rarely. I have used Jump-stop devices for many years with some very large drops from middle to small ring - up to 26 teeth. Judging from the dirt on the Jump-stop, it has seldom been used. Prior to using these devices I only once had a chain unship and jam between the frame and the crank. It took me upwards of 30 minutes in the cold and wet to free it. Once was enough and it has not happened since.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

We had a thread on DIY chain catchers a while back (Seems like only last year :shock: ), which included the MickFangStop and my own Chain Check Mate..

[ Graham : Now merged and "Too good to lose" ]
Last edited by Graham on 1 Mar 2016, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: post-merge
rjb

Post by rjb »

Wow posted 4 years previous. I tried a search before posting but there were too many posts and I only checked back a couple of years. One of the mods was looking at an indexing system a while ago. Did it prove too difficult ?
Perhaps these 2 threads could be merged and moved to the technical too good to lose section as it comes up regularly.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think a decent engineering plastic ought to be good enough for this kind of job, but I'm not at all sure that the kind of plastic used in the average pound shop lamp bracket falls into that category... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~