Chain Catcher

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Re: Chain catcher

Post by rjb »

I must have been lucky with this one. I had to trim it with a file and was pleasantly surprised at how hard the plastic was. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

CREPELLO wrote:We had a thread on DIY chain catchers a while back (Seems like only last year :shock: ), which included the MickFangStop and my own Chain Check Mate.. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59793

I think the subject must have come up between then and now, as well.....because these are old photos, that chainset is no longer on that frame.....
but this is my development of Crepello's device, what I have done is to silver solder a stainless penny washer to an M5 countersunk machine screw, and added a locknut so it can be precisely positioned. As somebody else said, the chain hardly ever touches the device.

and another vote for "too good to lose"
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

531colin wrote:but this is my development of Crepello's device, what I have done is to silver solder a stainless penny washer to an M5 countersunk machine screw, and added a locknut so it can be precisely positioned. As somebody else said, the chain hardly ever touches the device.
That looks better. I always meant to do something similar. As I don't have silver solder, I was going to do it by using a counter sunk screw and drill out the penny washer, but this probably requires a bench drill, also something I don't have. Fortunately, I'm not having unshipping problems on any bikes at present.
rjb wrote:Wow posted 4 years previous. I tried a search before posting but there were too many posts and I only checked back a couple of years. One of the mods was looking at an indexing system a while ago. Did it prove too difficult ?
Perhaps these 2 threads could be merged and moved to the technical too good to lose section as it comes up regularly.
I always use Google to search the forum, rather than our own search facility. Google knows everything :twisted:
Graham

Re: Chain Catcher

Post by Graham »

Topics merged and loaded into "Too good to lose"
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I'd love to know how to do this on a carbon MTB where the seat tube starts flaring bigger than 34.9mm about 3cm above where the 22t granny ring is. Its not even remotely close to being able to fit one there.

This means a cable tie is not possible (can't get low enough on the seat tube, nowhere near) and the dog fang thing thats £7 is out, for the same reason.

It seems the only one available is a clamp on K-Edge and those are £40. :shock:

I'd rather drop my chain than drop £40 on that. :lol:

Its not like my chain drops every time, I can live with it. I will just have to remember to push my shifter in a tiny bit when shifting down to the granny ring. On 44-32-22 it was fine but on 48-36-22 this does happen. You can't have it all - the universe said so.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a lot of chain catchers/deflectors are somehow integrated into the front mech, and anyway are at risk of fouling it when fitted. Without details of the front mech etc it is impossible to advise you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Manc33 wrote:.........I'd rather drop my chain than drop £40 on that. :lol: .......

But it's cheaper than a new CF frame ruined by a chain.
Metal frames would suffer paint loss whereas a CF could be chewed up pretty badly by a dropped chain,which is one of a few reasons I don't like CF framesets.

I dont know how many times my Ngear Jumpstops have prevented a dropped chain,but I do know from painful experience in the middle of a Portugese desert in 35c+ heat with skinned knuckles and sweat dripping of me like a tap,why I fitted them,and that I'd gladly have given £40 not to have to put up with the experience
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

There is a (nearly three times) cheaper alternative clamp version of the triple chain catcher thats £13 called KREX.

I knew one had to exist, its just finding it.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Manc33 wrote:There is a (nearly three times) cheaper alternative clamp version of the triple chain catcher thats £13 called KREX.

I knew one had to exist, its just finding it.

I've used Krex in the past but modified it so the logo wasn't showing with a black marker pen.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I still have that clamp and the plastic tube, but haven't used it for some years. Meanwhile, my chain has never unshipped since taking it off.

Why?
I don't know, but it co-incided with changing my inner ring from 30t down to 28t. Going from middle 42t to inner 28t seems to give perfect shifting.
Mick F. Cornwall
aljohn

Post by aljohn »

About 8 years ago I bought a Ribble Audax frame and fitted nearly all the rest of the bike from a Decathlon I'd bought as spares or repairs.It came with a dog fang which I fitted, and it works a treat. I've only unshipped the chain about 4 times, but the chainstay has not been marked 'cos of the dog fang. Building my Dolan I found in my "spares-if-I-must" box of rubbish a couple of plastic clamps that were to hold a full size pump. I fitted one of these to the seat tube and that seems to be working fine too. Also from the Decathlon was a clamp that fitted below the spacers on the steerer tube. You leave this loose until you've adjusted the bearings via the top cap. Then tighten the lower clamp, you can then dismantle topcap, spacers, stem, leaving the bearingsintact and correctly adjusted. I think it's brilliant (I don't get out much), but I've never seen another one fitted to a bike.......
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Redvee wrote:I've used Krex in the past but modified it so the logo wasn't showing with a black marker pen.

Even though it must be a few grams heavier? The shame. :lol:

The one on mine is holding up. Its nice changing gear not having to cringe.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

I''d like to fit a chain catcher, but I have a problem and not being technically minded don't know the correct language for it. The front changer has 3 chain rings and the gear mechanism that enables me to change from one to another is only about an inch from the bottom of the tube, now the tube that runs from the headstock to the crank is triangular in shape and the seat tube is round, to make matters worse I have had the chain come off when changing from the outer to the middle one. So what can I do?
Peter
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Rusty Rider wrote:I''d like to fit a chain catcher, but I have a problem and not being technically minded don't know the correct language for it. The front changer has 3 chain rings and the gear mechanism that enables me to change from one to another is only about an inch from the bottom of the tube, now the tube that runs from the headstock to the crank is triangular in shape and the seat tube is round, to make matters worse I have had the chain come off when changing from the outer to the middle one. So what can I do?

If its a factory/shop bought bike and you never touched the front changer or swapped any bigger/smaller chainrings onto it in the past (or had anyone else do it) then the front changer won't be in the wrong place.

If you still have an inch of space under your front mech/changer then you can fit either of those chain catchers, but be aware one is £13 (KREX) and one is £40 (K-Edge) and as far as I can tell they are the same thing. I wouldn't spend £40 on such an item but when i saw there's £13 ones I bought one instantly. Maybe K-Edge could take something from that, like reduce it to £19.99 or something I dunno. I can't be the only guy scoffing (and flat out not buying it) at £40.

The band clamp on them is quite thin and an inch spare is enough. My frame tapers quite dramatically quite soon and it was still OK.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

Manc33 wrote:
Rusty Rider wrote:I''d like to fit a chain catcher, but I have a problem and not being technically minded don't know the correct language for it. The front changer has 3 chain rings and the gear mechanism that enables me to change from one to another is only about an inch from the bottom of the tube, now the tube that runs from the headstock to the crank is triangular in shape and the seat tube is round, to make matters worse I have had the chain come off when changing from the outer to the middle one. So what can I do?

If its a factory/shop bought bike and you never touched the front changer or swapped any bigger/smaller chainrings onto it in the past (or had anyone else do it) then the front changer won't be in the wrong place.

If you still have an inch of space under your front mech/changer then you can fit either of those chain catchers, but be aware one is £13 (KREX) and one is £40 (K-Edge) and as far as I can tell they are the same thing. I wouldn't spend £40 on such an item but when i saw there's £13 ones I bought one instantly. Maybe K-Edge could take something from that, like reduce it to £19.99 or something I dunno. I can't be the only guy scoffing (and flat out not buying it) at £40.

The band clamp on them is quite thin and an inch spare is enough. My frame tapers quite dramatically quite soon and it was still OK.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look and measure it, but will it cause problems going from the middle ring to the lower or would that be higher up? I've not had it come off the smallest ring just the middle one. Or maybe I should just change them and go for a 2 ring setup? If that makes sense.
Peter