CO2 Pump advice needed.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Justin

CO2 Pump advice needed.

Post by Justin »

Does anyone use the C02 pump's and do you recommend them? Is it something that you find invaluable or something that's more likely to be confined to the back of the drawer in favour of the more conventional type pumps?

I've spent ages reading various threads here on general pump recommendations and whilst I can appreciate that popular choices seem to be models such as the Topeak Road Morph, Zefal HPX, etc, etc. I'm really after something that's as small and light as possible, for general everyday riding, road and mtb and possibly for touring also.

The extreme small size, minimal weight and convenience are pointing me towards THIS ONE. Would this be as good a choice as any or are there better models available? I was told that the only slight disadvantage to C02 pumps is that it can be quite tricky putting just a very small bit of air in to initially shape the inner tube prior to fitting. Are there any other issues to take into consideration when choosing, and using, a pump of this type?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: CO2 Pump advice needed.

Post by Mick F »

Hi Justin,
I have an Innovations Air Chuck.

Superb!
Why have anything else on a day ride?

I carry two inner tubes and two CO2 canisters normally, but if I was going away for a few days, I'd take a pump too. The CO2 inflators are quick and easy - FAR easier than pumping especially if you're tired and hungry and it's raining etc. Pump up your tyres with a pump when you have chance later, but the CO2 is great for getting you going again with little fuss and bother.

PS.
You had a duplicate post, so I deleted it for you.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, not answered your other questions.
Yes, you can squirt a little bit of air, and then completely inflate afterwards. There's enough CO2 in a cyclinder to do two tyres.

You fit the inflator to the valve - it does Schreader and Presta - and no doubt Woods as well - and push up against the valve. The CO2 rushes in quite quickly so keep an eye on the hardness of the tyre. After inflation and you may have put too much in or not enough, you can release the pressure or re attach the inflator as required.

It's easy to do, but it is worth your while - and a couple of quid - to practice first before you need it in anger.
Mick F. Cornwall
Justin

Post by Justin »

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it will be a good purchase then :)

I had never even given them a second thought until last weekend.
I was off on a short touring/camping trip last weekend on the South Coast. Riding down a flint-strewn bridleway, I got a puncture just as I reached my camping spot :roll: . No problem I thought, I'll fix it in the morning. Morning arrives, minus 2 degrees but beautiful Winter sunshine. Out comes my £2.99 Lidl pump for it's first ever use. What a piece of junk :( (unlike some other excellent Lidl bargains I've had), it wouldn't even grip the valve, let alone pass any air.
The thought of being stranded wasn't an attractive one in freezing temperatures, so I had no choice but to start pushing my very heavily laden bike to the nearest town a good few miles away. The walk wasn't an issue, nor was the weather, but what I was most concerned about was my brand new rear wheel getting trashed and my tyre becoming shredded as it bounced and thudded back up the stony track. :( . Thankfully one of the first persons I encountered was an extremely friendly and helpful chap who kindly lent me his Joe Blow track pump, which enabled me to at least undertake my 25 mile journey home :D

Anyway, the point being, that I don't wish to find myself in that situation again or to rely on untested kit. I promptly bought a Topeak Race Rocket Master Blaster Pump the following day but began thinking that a C02 wouldn't be a bad idea, in addition to the Race Rocket, just in case. In fact, it'll probably end up as the main pump with the other one as the back up :)

My road tyres take up to 120 psi. Is it crucial not to exceed that do you know, or is it a non issue if I accidently put a bit too much in, whilst getting the hang of it?

Also, one other question if you don't mind. Any idea if the cartridges are allowed in the hold on most airlines travelling in Europe?
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Have you got a specific bike in mind to use it with? Fat MTB tyres are easier to add a pulse of CO2 to shape, but the downside is that a single CO2 cartridge is often not enough to raise the pressure to what you want. I also find the contents of a partially used cannister leak away over a short time, but other inflators may be better in this respect.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Have you got a specific bike in mind to use it with?

I actually use three. I've got an old steel mtb which is my main touring bike. An aluminium mtb for any off-roading and also a road bike. I tend to use all three equally all year round and would envisage carrying the CO2 pump all the time for use with both road tyres and mtb ones. I guess it would be wise to also carry the Race Rocket, not only as a back-up, but it could be used for the initial burst of air to 'shape' the tube.
That's a good point about a single cartridge being insufficient for a 'hard' mtb tyre, as I usually put 65 psi in my touring mtb's tyres. I guess it'll be worth stocking up and carrying a few spare cartridges.
Is it only after the cartridges have been partially used that they'll leak away. I'm assuming unused cartridges will remain sealed and hold their contents ok, at least I hope so at £2-£3 a time :o :wink:
robgul

Post by robgul »

This subject has been "aired" before ....

.... don't forget that CO2 will not stay inflated for any length of time (reasons and thoughts why are inconclusive, relating to molecules and the tube materials) - best I get if using a CO2 is that the tube will deflate within about 3 days ... so use the CO2 as a quick fix - when you can, deflate the tyre and re-fill with real air from, ideally 'cos it's easier, a track pump.

... numerous people will be along with theories and "I used a CO2 in 1976 and the tyre's still hard" any minute now ...

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Justin

Post by Justin »

This subject has been "aired" before ....

Any chance of a link to the discussion. I tried numerous searches prior to starting the thread but unfortunately I couldn't find anything, at least not under a search for CO2.

.... don't forget that CO2 will not stay inflated for any length of time (reasons and thoughts why are inconclusive, relating to molecules and the tube materials) - best I get if using a CO2 is that the tube will deflate within about 3 days ... so use the CO2 as a quick fix - when you can, deflate the tyre and re-fill with real air from, ideally 'cos it's easier, a track pump.

That's very interesting, I had no idea. Not an issue for day rides but could certainly be an issue if touring, where a track pump isn't available.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It needs at least 4 characters for a search. (I can usually think of an alternative word that probably occurred in earlier discussion but it has to be something that I find remotely interesting. If nobody else comes up with a suggestion, try latex, butyl, or porous.)

edit

Found one of the shorter threads.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20855&p=170047&hilit=

There is one somewhere that runs to a few pages, IIRC
Last edited by thirdcrank on 5 Feb 2012, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Post by Justin »

It needs at least 4 characters for a search.

That explains it. I wondered why there was 0 results. I'll try a new search using the words suggested. Thanks
Justin

Post by Justin »

Found one of the shorter threads.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20855&p=170047&hilit=

Thanks for the link. I've found the other thread HERE (in case it's of use to anyone else).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

One CO2 cartridge will inflate a tyre to get you going.
One CO2 cartridge will fill a "normal" tyre to very hard, with more CO2 to spare - my tyres can be filled twice!
CO2 will deflate over a day or two because of the gas escaping through the rubber - CO2 is thin and "air" is thicker and doesn't escape so easily. (Thin and Thicker are expressions that are incorrect, but they will do to explain the phenomenon.)
CO2 inflators are simple to use, and light and stowable.
Use a real pump when you get home.

I don't want to carry a pump when I ride out for 3 or 4 hours. I never get punctures anyway, but if I do, I have a couple of tubes and a couple of CO2 canisters so I can get home without any hassle.

What do you want?
Pump and faff and effort, or CO2 and simplicity?
Mick F. Cornwall
Justin

Post by Justin »

Thanks for your help Mick. I managed to dig out some older threads on the subject and found your info very useful there also :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
Super!
Mick F. Cornwall
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

I used to carry CO2 but on two occasions, the piercing needle (2 different makes of pumps) somehow blunted itself and the cartridge didn't work. I then started carrying a back-up pump and of course, finally realised that this was a bit silly.

Sold all my CO2 cartridges and now use nice Lezyne Road Warriors on all my bikes.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.