BANG!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PW

BANG!

Post by PW »

Regulars may be aware of my dislike for Mavic rims :evil:
Some may have noted that I picked up a pair of X618s just cheap enough to be considered disposable :roll:
2,715.11 miles later I was intending to re-rim the wheels - honest! when pumping the tyre to 6 bar split the brake track a good 1/2 way around the rim circumference. The bang was impressive, wife, daughter & latter's boyfriend dashed up in a mad panic from the bottom of the back garden a good 30 yards away.
Now my ears have stopped ringing I'll get the old Viscount out of the shed for tomorrow & start looking for some cheap rims for a double re-rim! :cry:
And the next lot won't be Mavics!!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

I agree about Mavic being less than durable. Under 3000 miles surprises even me though :roll:. At least you have evudence that you were right about them :wink:.

I've done over 6000 hilly and often heavily laden miles on £15 each alesa endeavours from Spa cycles and the rear is just about noticably concave.

I did wear through a Mavic open pro in 6000 miles though: not cheap at £35 each and the expensive wheel building service.

Andy :-)
PW

Post by PW »

They were used on a canal towpath 100+ miles /wk but I made a point of rinsing the grit off in the cut whenever I could hear it in the brakes & the bike probably gets a proper wash every 20 miles. Crap! :(
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!