slime tubes mending thereof

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
QUIST

slime tubes mending thereof

Postby QUIST » 20 Feb 2012, 12:51pm

Just got home with the aid of slime tube but had enormous probs getting tube out to mend it - is this typical with mending slime tubes?

Odd Gloves

rjb

Re: slime tubes mending thereof

Postby rjb » 20 Feb 2012, 1:34pm

I tried to mend a tube after it had been filled with something similar to slime tube. It proved impossible to get the patch to stick. I concluded that the slime acted as a very good lubricant between patch and tube. :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 20 Feb 2012, 1:46pm

I manged to get the puncture to mend it just took so damn long to get the tube out,

OG

fenderbender

Postby fenderbender » 25 Feb 2012, 11:14am

It's been many years since I worked as a bike messenger and put slime in my tubes. But I do remember that temperature had to be above 10-15 degrees C for it to work fast enough to mend anything larger than the hole from a thorn. Stopped using it after I hit the head of a roofing nail. Once removed and the tire inflated slime would start spraying all over every time I started pedaling. With slime all over my face, hands and clothes, frustrated and pressed for time I gave up and changed the tube. But passers by probably enjoyed the show... :wink:
A furore normannorum libera nos domine!