Snap..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Redvee

Snap..

Post by Redvee »

...went my LH crank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGWN2IwBzk

Luckily I was going slow, 10-12 mph max. Biggest injury is from my mobile phone which was in a pocket of my jacket.
johnb

Re: Snap..

Post by johnb »

You were fortunate to have escaped without more damage.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
fenderbender

Post by fenderbender »

Hope you ok and the bike not to beaten up! Have to ask if there's a version with sound? Because I'd love to hear if your reaction was the same as when it happened to me a few years back.
A furore normannorum libera nos domine!
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Love how all the cars just drive past... Where is that by the way, feel like I recognise it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why did is snap?
What make was it?

Glad you're ok to tell the tale!
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

fenderbender wrote:Hope you ok and the bike not to beaten up! Have to ask if there's a version with sound? Because I'd love to hear if your reaction was the same as when it happened to me a few years back.

Aside from the obvious knackered crank, the only other damage is the front wheel needed truing, I guess from the lateral force when it came back down to earth. It seems the original audio was lost in the fancy pants edit. New basic upload.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLOsn8HGjMI

Alex L wrote:Love how all the cars just drive past... Where is that by the way, feel like I recognise it.

The car that paused, black honda, was driven by a nurse of some description. I guess she seen I was OK and drove off. This happened at the junction of Fishponds Road and Royate Hill by Eastville Park, 2 miles from home with one pedal.

Mick F wrote:Why did is snap?
What make was it?

Glad you're ok to tell the tale!

The crankset is a Sugino Messenger, looking at the remains of the crank it would appear to be a stress fracture. Can't really start complaining at the LBS as I've had it 2.5 years.
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

The Shimano Altus CT90 crankset was recalled in 1994 due to cranks snapping. I got mine replaced by Madison for free in 2011.

If it's a design fault or manufacturing defect then it was present from day 1 so you have a right to a replacement.

Definitely worth sending it back to manufacturer with a covering letter about how disappointed you were with their product.

2.5 years isn't a lot, I'm riding a 20 year old Shimano Deore M550 chainset.
Last edited by Brian73 on 25 Feb 2012, 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Thought I recognised it. Was cycling past thursday night coming back from a friends house. Glad to hear you're okay.

Always was interested to see your bike though, just from the handlebars I've seen in your other videos. Not so good it was on the floor though.

I had an off near castle park recently, somehow managed to get away with just a bent bottle cage, though my handlebars are already bent out of shape :(
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

be there, done that...

Any make you care to mention from williams to campag in both steel and alloy.

Even when I held a 2nd cat road race licence I weighed 14 1/2 stone plus and although I am a fairly smooth pedaler I wasn't scared of big gears.
However I only broke one crank racing, in a 73mile hilly time trial, the rest had been passed down from machine to machine eventually ending up on the fixed hack bike. As I became older and wiser and perhaps a little richer I would buy new cranks from time to time. I do like nice new shiny things
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Stronglight S2000 now adorn the bike along with a Miche chainring, took it out for a little spin this afternoon. Shame my body can't be repaired as quick. :(

These are the pretty colours on my inner thigh where it met the top tube

IMAG0957-2.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

At least you had spds. When my left crank fell off I had 6 miles to go to get to work. That's fun one legged (again, spds make it possible. Then another two to get to a bike shop at lunch :)

Nice colouring by the way. Hope you're OK.

PS, this should be used to inform motorists why 3" isn't sufficient passing distance...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.