bicycle stand for garage/shed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alicej

Re: bicycle stand for garage/shed

Post by alicej »

Might be worth thinking about security, even if the door is reasonably secure. Loads of bikes get stolen from sheds and garages, and it'd be a pity to construct something now and then decide later that you'd prefer to lock the bikes, e.g. if you hear of a spate of garage break-ins locally. Maybe a good idea to choose something now that at least gives you the option of locking to it?
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I have a similar stand to the one above which I made from bits of old pallets. In fact I got the idea from seeing a pallet laid flat and I have mine on the floor and the wheels slot in. You need to decide which bike is going where as the slots need to suit the tyre.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Does anyone use something like this one? Apparently it fits using the rear axle I believe but I can't see how from the pic and I can't find a pic with one in it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

My bike shop uses them
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I would hang the bikes vertically from a wheel with hooks. You can hang them from the ceiling, or from a horizontal batten fixed high on a wall. For the latter, screw the hooks straight into it so they are protruding horizontally, then you can hook a wheel and the bike hangs down and 'stands' vertically against the wall, saving space. This way of hanging puts a bit of strain on a spoke at the nipple, but I don't think it's much, and has never caused me any problems.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not used one, but drop the axle into it so that the stand is between the wheel and the frame.

It can be an advantage to store bikes high, because the space near the ceiling is used less, so you can get "free" space. I've got bikes stored vertically on the wall of the shed, which takes less space than in the old shed simply because I'm using that "free" space. I'm using this hook, which is widely available.
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

Mick F wrote:I bought one of these some years ago. Wonderful thing.
I can store the bike in the bike shed - spare bedroom! without leaning it on anything.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/min ... d-ec019056

I bought a Minoura DS-520 folding stand 2 or 3 years ago but found it a bit flimsy. The two bits of sheet steel that connects the post to the feet were easily bent so the post wouldn't stay vertical. Perhaps the stand has had a bit of "Value Engineering" since you bought yours. Chucked mine out and got an Xtreme bike stand Free Stopp from Rose Bikes which was much stronger.

thirdcrank wrote:
malverncyclist wrote:
In the language of cycle stands, those are butterflies, a style recognised by even the ministry of transport as being in chocolate teapot territory.

so in my language that means they are no good??? :shock:

Martin

They are very popular with architects (or their underlings) who provide "cycle parking" to quotas because they are cheap and each takes up little space. There is a Traffic Advisory Leaflet about cycle parking which makes the point that cyclists will ignore them, preferring instead to use informal parking like railings. The reason that cyclists tend to ignore them is that there is a real risk of spoke damage.

I'm not clear whether security or storing the bikes out of the way is your priority. If it's security, there are various ground anchors available. I use plastic-coated hooks screwed directly into the garage ceiling joists - as recommended by Brucey above - but I repend on the garage door for my security (it's an integral garage.)

I wouldn't use a public butterfly stand but in your own shed or garage the chance of a damaged wheel has got to be pretty low. (Mind you, in a Halfords store I saw a bike in a butterfly stand with a wrecked front wheel - nice customers they get, or maybe staff :shock: ). In my garage I've got two types of wall hooks but this has got me thinking that for the sheer convenience maybe a butterfly stand is worth a try. (OK I'm lazy, and tend to lean bikes with panniers against things in the garage rather than lift them onto the hooks).
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Got a BiciSupport Stand With Wheels from Planet X today, it's good quality, stable and easy to reposition the bike due to the wheels.
Attachments
IMG_1861 (600 x 450).jpg
Last edited by Erudin on 19 Feb 2015, 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I'm moving sheds around and moving bikes from a wooden one to a large tin shed. I used to hang them from the rafters but it's not going to be possible in the tin shed.
I tried making something yesterday but all attempts, for four bikes, were too bulky.
So I'm looking for something neat.
Is the Tobsart50r ok with skinny as well as fat wheels?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

might be possible to install a 2x4" in the tin shed specifically to hang bikes from?

-I've had to do this before now and it worked fine.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Several years ago I constructed a bike hanging beam from a couple od 2.4m 100x50mm timbers stuck together with small spacers at 30cm centres. I place this across 2 builders trestles and alternated log and short steel hooks on the spacers. I can hang 9 bikes from this. It's portable (I've used it in 3 locations). If you bolt the trestles to the floor then you can chain the bikes to the trestles and have some extra internal security.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Photo needed, I think :D
Fex54

Post by Fex54 »

FEX54
drossall

Post by drossall »

On the whole, it looks like an unnecessarily complicated (and probably expensive) version of thing I posted. The one I'm using deals easily with mudguards because it secures the wheel by (what would normally be) the bottom few inches of it, rather than try to grab the wheel near the guards.

I'm interested in the 180 degree pivot bit though. That would put the bike upside down. Do they mean 90 degrees so that it's parallel to the wall? Then the bars would foul the wall of course.