Rim question.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: Rim question.

Post by RickH »

Of course the only one of the bikes in this house with wear indicator grooves on the rims has Disk brakes! :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

531colin wrote:Of course theres a gauge.....

Suitable gauge £7.50, which may or may not be the same as colin531's (flickr blocked)

rims fail at something like 0.7mm, so get a new rim once it goes below 1.0 anywhere round the rim.

In the absence of indicators or measuring gauges, the first sign of imminent failure is generally a pulsing in the brakes, similar to but not a abrupt as what you'd get from a pothole-dented rim flange. If you let the tyre down to "fairly soft" and avoid the use of the brake on that wheel, you'll probably get home OK.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

The rims belong to Fulcrum Racer wheels, which came with Enid when she was purchased, made of aluminium alloy, no model number or other word to suggest model. She has done about 7,000 miles on these.

I took a metal ruler out with me today and there is a clear cresent moon shape staring back at me. No sign of groove on rim if there was ever one, I cant remember it.

Boy oh boy, its going to be an expensive year! :(

I went on the website where Enid was purchased (Ive also emailed them regarding hilly miles ridden and to get an idea on usual wear distance - only emailed today, so no reply just yet).

If these need replacing, do I need to replace the entire wheel (both of em...)? Hubby has already fixed the sticky bearings for me.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Fulcrum wheels..http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collection/road/cx/products/racing-7-cx

A couple of them I've found on their site have wear indicators like this one
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Manx Cat wrote:..................

If these need replacing, do I need to replace the entire wheel (both of em...)? Hubby has already fixed the sticky bearings for me.

You can re-use the hubs if they are in good condition, and if you can get suitable rims....easier with conventional 36 or 32 spoke
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

andrew_s wrote:In the absence of indicators or measuring gauges, the first sign of imminent failure is generally a pulsing in the brakes, similar to but not a abrupt as what you'd get from a pothole-dented rim flange. If you let the tyre down to "fairly soft" and avoid the use of the brake on that wheel, you'll probably get home OK.
My emphasis.

Have you read this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61367
My front brake is still "pulsing".
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Colin, I looked at the pic of the Fulcrum Racing 7, (Im sure they are this one, the 7 is the cheapest in the range). Please assume correctly, that I know nothing... So...Not sure what the wear indicator is. There is a black dot on the image is that what Im supposed to find on the rims?

As to building my own.... sorry, but putting the Summer bike back together having tried to replace the chainset is putting years on me, the very thought of scrolling for more hours online looking at this rim and that spoke just leaves me cold right now. The words ... 'oh no...' were emitted once I started on this worn rim stuff...the week started out so well too. Far more interested in peddlin' than fiddlin' Ive discovered.

Phew... Im off to bed. With any luck BBs last a bit longer as its the only part not getting replaced this year it seems...
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Mick, I get an 'Your not authorised to view this...' sort of message from that link, is it still linked to your Moderator Hat?

MC
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I think their wear indicator is a little dent in the braking surface.....when the surface wears down so the dent disappears, its worn out.......

Brucey wrote:newish rims have a groove or small dimples in the rim braking face. When these disappear the rim should be due for replacement...............

The Fulcrum 7 wheels on the site have radial front spokes and at the rear crossed driveside, radial non driveside, twice as many spokes on the driveside. I don't know where you would get similar replacement rims. See Brucey's comments here http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61376