Nice un-known fairly high quality bike enquiry. PAVONE !!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ian Raleigh

Re: Nice un-known fairly high quality bike enquiry.

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Brucey wrote:see the retrobike posting I linked to; it includes an address etc for the shop.

Spotted :oops: and to give em' a bell tomorrow.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Ian Raleigh wrote:
Brucey wrote:see the retrobike posting I linked to; it includes an address etc for the shop.

Spotted :oops: and to give em' a bell tomorrow.

If they have info, any relating to frame number '151' would be of interest too, but don't worry if it is going to cause any kind of a problem for you. Pot luck job really...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Brucey wrote:If they have info, any relating to frame number '151' would be of interest too, but don't worry if it is going to cause any kind of a problem for you. Pot luck job really...cheers

i'll see what they say :wink:
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Pavone ! :? .......Its a PAVONE :shock: :shock: :shock: ........ What is a PAVONE :roll: and don't say a bike neither :lol:
scotsmanincumbria

Post by scotsmanincumbria »

Ian Raleigh wrote:Pavone ! :? .......Its a PAVONE :shock: :shock: :shock: ........ What is a PAVONE :roll: and don't say a bike neither :lol:

A Pavone is Italian for Peacock
http://scotsmanincumbria.blogspot.com
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

scotsmanincumbria wrote: A Pavone is Italian for Peacock

You read this other thread i've dragged up......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=969

So glad we've found out what it is 8)

**NOW THEN GUYS ANYONE KNOW WHO OWNS A PAVONE ** :roll:

Cheers.
daveg

Re: Nice un-known fairly high quality bike enquiry. PAVONE !

Post by daveg »

To the best of my knowledge the pavone badge says that the bike was put together at Chevin Cycles in Otley.
If it wasn't for cars, there wouldn't be the amount of tarmac that there is.
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

daveg wrote:To the best of my knowledge the pavone badge says that the bike was put together at Chevin Cycles in Otley.

Now it would be nice to see of any and i mean 'any' Pavone bikes 8) There is nothing regarding a google search
and i've emailed the company and also sent them a 'facebook' message and phoned them too....no reply :oops:

Yes we've found out its a Pavone but that is were it ends :cry: I might go and find some nettles and put my face in them :x
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ian Raleigh wrote: .... i've emailed the company and also sent them a 'facebook' message and phoned them too....no reply ...

There's no excuse for their not replying, of course, but I doubt if the present Chevin Cycles has anything to do with the Pavone marque.

The firm used to have a smaller shop further along Gay Lane when I first knew it (ie nearer the Chevin). That shop was an outdoor gear / running shop the last time I looked. Chevin Cycles moved to the corner of Bondgate and took over what used to be a car showroom with loads more space some years ago. It's never been the type of place I'd associate with that sort of "classic lightweight" bike.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ian Raleigh wrote:Now it would be nice to see of any and i mean 'any' Pavone ...
HPIM0442.JPG
HPIM0441.JPG

:mrgreen:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

gaz wrote: :mrgreen:

Daft lad :lol: and i thought the pic' would be a bike, nice pheasant though :mrgreen:

This bike is an head-ache :(

Ian.
Last edited by Ian Raleigh on 23 Mar 2012, 9:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

As soon as I read Pavone I knew that name sounded familiar.
I've known Chevin cycles for many years. In the 1970s they were situated on the corner of Gay Lane and Cambridge Street where Chevin Trek is now situated. The previous owner sold the shop to the current owner who shortly afterwards relocated the cycle shop down Gay Lane to where they are now. My understanding was that the new owner's wife started Chevin Trek outdoor clothing in the original cycle shop. The new owner was ambitious and positioned themselves as a serious bike shop. They were responsible in part anyway for inaugurating the Otley Town Centre Races.

http://www.otleycycleraces.co.uk/index.html

The Pavone was one of their models though them not putting their own name on the frame was probably a disadvantage. More people today know of Chevin Cyles than of Pavone cycles. At the time I bought a Holdsworth Mistral instead. My understanding is that Chevin cycles didn't make frames themselves though I know at least one workshop member of staff who did.

I think the same person still owns Chevin cycles and my guess is that some of the staff will be able to help you with some info about your Pavone.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Great thread, reads like a 'whodunnit' detective novel :D

The thought just occurred to me; if Chevin cycles don't have any records, and is it made from Reynolds 753, isn't the list of approved 753 builders limited, which might help narrow the search a little?

Good luck with the search, and enjoy the new bike.

Cheers,

Luke
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

LuckyLuke wrote: The thought just occurred to me; if Chevin cycles don't have any records, and is it made from Reynolds 753, isn't the list of approved 753 builders limited, which might help narrow the search a little? Cheers, Luke

The front forks are stamped Reynolds and the frame when tapped/flicked with the finger it really 'tings'
and my local frame builder says it is 753 so all i can say i've got myself a bit of a bargin me thinks, can't
remember if i put it up on the beginning of the thread but i got the complete bike for just £100.

Anyone know of the list of approved 753 builders past or present ?

I was to have the frame/forks sand blasted but being the frame is 753 i was a bit scared of our local
sand blaster removing some of the steel too so instead i set upon the frame/forks and stripped it
myself ! only took 2 days, what a ball ache that was.

No reply from Chevin Cycles :?

On the bare frame it had Pavone on both sides of the down tube and seat tube with a roundish head badge, will upload a few pictures of the naked frame.

Partially stripped the down tube which showed the name and for it to be in the steel tubing is strange any answered as to why ? I'm all ears !
Would the name have been painted on first then the frame sprayed or did they have tubing with acid etched names on the tubes.

Cheers.
Ian.
Last edited by Ian Raleigh on 19 Apr 2012, 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

I'm slightly surprised you've had no answer from Chevin Cycles yet. The shop can get busy at times, particularly at the weekends. By the way, they are open on Sundays 10am-4pm