Protecting your trouser

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PJ520

Re: Protecting your trouser

Post by PJ520 »

To be fair even the OP mentioned chainguards
What's the OP? 'Orrible Person?
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

OP = original poster
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 65s18p3766
they are available inthe UK looks like a damn fine bike for the money
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

er... chainguard here;

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hebie-chainguard-for-triple-ring-systems-with-a-48t-outer-ring-prod19993/?src=froogle

never used one on a derailleur geared bike myself; but as noted previously a fully enclosed chain on a utlity bike is a really useful item.

CJ's 'dale looks like a nice bike. I can't help thinking it would be even more practical with a hub gear and chaincase... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

SKS have chainguards.

But chainguards don't stop the trouser hem catching on the cotter pin nut. BOTH SIDES !! :cry:
CJ

Post by CJ »

NUKe wrote:http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b65s18p3766
they are available inthe UK looks like a damn fine bike for the money

It is, and they're not. Look closely and you'll find that is one lonely remaining 2010 bike they're selling off half-price. But thanks for the tip-off, I know a man who's seen my bike and wants one like it - and this is probably his only chance of getting that in Little Blighty!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Yael

Post by Yael »

CJ wrote:Chaingaurds that fit around a triple chainset and associated gear mech are ubiquitous on the continent. Hebie is one manufacturer, SKS also do a version of their Chainboard for derailleurs, but there are many others.
And for the inevitable sceptics, I rode 12 miles to work today as I generally do two or three times a week, on this bike, in normal clothes, without any clips or faff, and my trousers are as clean as when I left home.

Is this a Hebie chainguard on your bike, CJ? Does it happen to be the model which doesn't require removing the chainset and BB to fit it?
Does anyone have any experience with that particular chainguard or know of a similar one?

Thanks
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Yael wrote:
CJ wrote:Chaingaurds that fit around a triple chainset and associated gear mech are ubiquitous on the continent. Hebie is one manufacturer, SKS also do a version of their Chainboard for derailleurs, but there are many others.
And for the inevitable sceptics, I rode 12 miles to work today as I generally do two or three times a week, on this bike, in normal clothes, without any clips or faff, and my trousers are as clean as when I left home.

Is this a Hebie chainguard on your bike, CJ? Does it happen to be the model which doesn't require removing the chainset and BB to fit it?
Does anyone have any experience with that particular chainguard or know of a similar one?

Thanks

see the SJS link posted earlier

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CJ

Post by CJ »

Yael wrote:Is this a Hebie chainguard on your bike, CJ? Does it happen to be the model which doesn't require removing the chainset and BB to fit it?

It is a Hebie chainguard, possibly an OE (original equipment for bike manufacturers only) or discontinued model as it doesn't appear identical to any in their current retail catalogue, but models 360 and 368 are functionally similar. Mounting will be via a 'propellor' sandwiched between the right-hand bottom-bracket fitting and the frame. So yes: you will have to dismantle the chainset and bottom-bracket to retro-fit such a device.

An easy-fit alternative is the Hebie Chainwing 320, in conjunction with one of their 'Chain Rings' - if your crankset does not already have a disc-type chainguard.
Hebie Chainwing and model 325/6 'Chain Ring'
Hebie Chainwing and model 325/6 'Chain Ring'
Chainwing.jpg (15.57 KiB) Viewed 752 times

I have not searched for UK suppliers, but it's a product that ought to sell easily here.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Yael

Post by Yael »

CJ wrote:... models 360 and 368 are functionally similar. Mounting will be via a 'propellor' sandwiched between the right-hand bottom-bracket fitting and the frame. So yes: you will have to dismantle the chainset and bottom-bracket to retro-fit such a device.

Actually, from what information I have now managed to gather, they now come with an easy-mount clip (presumably easy-loosen-and-get-in-the-way, too, but you can't have everything) which doesn't require chainset and BB removal, I think it clips around the BB shell. It's a shame that Hebie's website design is so clean and minimal, I'd have liked to see the fitting instructions or at least a photo of the fittings that come with it. Fortunately SJS provide a photo on their website and AMBA Marketing (UK dealer) were very helpful, someone actually went to fetch one and did his best to describe it over the phone. I might buy one to test it, if I do I'll report back. Thanks for the information.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

You need plenty of space between the chainring, the front derailleur and the crank to fit any of these chainguards. That might make a retrofit expensive, and it will blow your Q factor!