Cleaning a cassette?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iow

Re: Cleaning a cassette?

Postby iow » 19 Mar 2012, 8:51am

leaf blower is a vital part of my cleanig kit - it means bike or motorcycle can be put away dry.
mark

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 Mar 2012, 8:51am

I repeat ......

Never ever ever use a pressure washer on a bike!

Hot soapy water and a brush, then a gentle sprinkle with a hose pipe is all that is needed.

Pressure washers WILL get water in through seals. Just coz you don't direct the jet at hubs/bearings/pivots/cables etc, the fine fast-moving water droplets will still get in.

If they don't, and you are very careful, you may be lucky. More luck than judgement??? :wink:

It ain't worth the effort or risk. Refer to para 3 above.
Mick F. Cornwall

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 19 Mar 2012, 9:13am

Not convinced about the leaf blower argument. I always put the leaves in my garden on the shrub borders. Since I got a leaf blower, the job takes me about 20% of the time it took with a rake and I get rid of more leaves off the lawn.

PS As coincidence would have it, I cleaned my cassette and chain last night. Both cleaned with paint brush cleaner (all I had in stock) and they are looking shiny and new. I used a small brush and an ice cream tub. (sans ice cream). wash under hot water afterwards.

I use a hose pipe but never a pressure washer.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Mar 2012, 9:25am

OK,leaf blowers.
Why not use the same petrol/energy to suck them up and compost them?
I get tired of riding past rich peoples driveways,four in particular,but there are others,who's gardeners blow all the cuttings/leaves and general debris into the road for me to ride through :evil: and on a windy day all the "blowing" is undone when the wind blows in back again.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 19 Mar 2012, 9:26am

when I say my chain and cogs were clean, I mean as clean as if they had been removed and subjected to the most thorough clean imaginable by any means. Can't do this with a hosepipe. Can't do it and clean the rest of the bike in the time by any other means... pressure washer shifts sticky clay etc in less than half the time and uses less water etc. I have my outside tap plumbed in so I can use hot water if necessary.

Fair point, I may well have been better off with a chaincase but such a beast wasn't readily available with any suspension then and I'm not quite sure how I'd do it now TBH. I was using my ride to work to develop and prove some new designs for various components including suspension parts at the time. Anyway the bike would still need washing throughly, as well as the dirt there was enough road work that the winter salt was a problem too. I might still have used the pressure washer just because it is faster.

BTW I use a rotary mower with a grass box in my garden; the grass usually needs a trim anyway, and it picks up and mulches the leaves very efficiently ready for compost.

Lots of ways of keeping bikes clean and gardens tidy come to that; different strokes suit different folks....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 19 Mar 2012, 9:33am

Why not set up a leaf blower in front of your turbo trainer/roller indoors for an altogether more realistic stationary training experience?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 Mar 2012, 10:24am

Just come in from the front drive after using the PW on the parrot ................................... cage! :lol:

It doesn't half shift the caked on "guano".

BTW, parrot is in her spare cage. Actually, she's perched on top of it whilst I'm here with a cuppa - main cage is drying outside in the sunshine.

Pressure washers are great, and I wouldn't be without ours - we're on our third now. The first one was a cheapo and wasn't up to the job. The second was left in the shed over winter with water still in the pump - it cracked from the frost. This one - a decent powerful Karcher is a semi-pro version with loadsa gusto! It stays in the kitchen behind the back door in the winter months.

I never was the car with it, nor wash the bikes, but the driveway, the patios, the parrot cage, and wooden outside furniture and decking are fare game. Mechanical bits and bobs certainly NOT.
Mick F. Cornwall

Raph

Postby Raph » 19 Mar 2012, 11:35am

Sorry haven't read the whole thread, just noticed a couple of things on a skim-read though...

I've used a pressure washer on the bike lots of times over the years, no damage yet - if it's luck then that's a hell of a lot of luck so far. I am very careful as to where I'm pointing it though - I get it on the cassette from behind the bike, just below the axle, where it'll get it spinning backwards as if the invisible man were on it, back-pedalling furiously. I usually get a face-full of muck as it sprays off the chain in all directions. I generally avoid pressure washing from the side of the bike, and it's worth avoiding the drop-outs even from a supposedly harmless angle, as water hitting the drop-out under pressure will deflect sideways with a fair amount of force. As long as as you're aiming at the cassette this isn't a problem, anything bouncing off will be going away from bearings. This is borne out by the fact that I have bearings still smooth after 30,000 miles over 12 years.

It's better to remove the cassette though, then you can blast it in all directions without regard to bearing seals.

If you don't have a pressure washer, or have a hosepipe ban in place, as we have here, Park tools and others do a long stiff brush for cleaning cassettes, works well, and you can use it with the cassette on the bike, though taking it off (and the chain if you can be bothered) and dropping it in a jar of petrol is the business, as long as you have somewhere safe to keep the petrol afterwards with a tight lid on.

That kind of "flossing" method, with the edge of an old towel, is ok but tends to shift the muck around more than remove it. Cleans it eventually but takes a while. Easier done on the wheel as you can spin the cassette with it, going all the way round.

I wondered about making a rotary brush that could go on a drill - something like a chimney sweep brush but small, then you could do the job in a few seconds. At the moment all I can find of roughly the right scale is wire brushes for stripping paint - a nylon version of that would be great! Definitely not an indoor job, unless I'm redecoration in Jackson Pollock style.

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 19 Mar 2012, 1:44pm

reohn2 wrote:OK,leaf blowers.
I get tired of riding past rich peoples driveways,four in particular,but there are others,who's gardeners blow all the cuttings/leaves and general debris into the road for me to ride through :evil: and on a windy day all the "blowing" is undone when the wind blows in back again.

You shouldn't be riding past rich peoples driveways. Stick to your own neibourhood :evil:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Mar 2012, 7:53pm

The Mechanic wrote:
reohn2 wrote:OK,leaf blowers.

You shouldn't be riding past rich peoples driveways. Stick to your own neibourhood :evil:

That is my neighbourhood :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 20 Mar 2012, 10:22am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 20 Mar 2012, 10:38am

I'm lucky with my pressure washer as it has an adjustable pressure lance. This is turned down near bearings.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Mar 2012, 10:53am

reohn2 wrote: I'm with MickF,I've never needed a pressure washer for anything I own,I can have the bike cleaned,no matter how mucky,in the time takes to set one up.
I had those words in my ears yesterday when I got ours out to clean the parrot cage.

In order to use the PW, I have to wear overalls and wellies, the PW has to be carried out of the shed, the HP hose unfurled - stiff and unwieldy - the lance connected, the lecky cable plugged in, the garden hose unfurled and connected then purged/bled to get the water running, then switched on.

At the end of the job, all this has to be reversed. Total time 15mins. That doesn't include the job itself.
Mick F. Cornwall

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Mar 2012, 1:12pm

when I use mine I'm usually wet and filthy too; no dressing up required. (Although I will use mine without dressing up because I believe that I'm not going to spray myself; :shock: my lance is about 5' long and that makes a difference). Its plugged in already, jut click the hose on the tap, pull the lance off the wall, push the button....

splish-splash-splosh-bish-bash-bosh.... :D

whole job done in five mins :shock:

just need to be organised. :wink:

I might plumb my water in to cut another 10s off the job..... :mrgreen:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Mar 2012, 4:00pm

Frost?

Dunno about where you live, but I said before that frost ruined my last PW. £200 worth of PW should not be left outside unprotected.
Mick F. Cornwall