Shoes and pedals!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
beano

Shoes and pedals!

Postby beano » 21 Mar 2012, 3:45pm

I'm after some shoes and cleats for touring.

Could anybody recommend anything reasonably priced and a recommended stockist I could buy from?

Been looking but just so much choice??

Many thanks

Beano :D

Swallow

Re: Shoes and pedals!

Postby Swallow » 21 Mar 2012, 4:18pm

Bit like saddles, every one has their own favorites. I use these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m424-spd-pedals/ they can be used with ordinary shoes for short distances. For shoes I use these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec010934 very comfortable and don't look too odd off the bike. Recently had to wade through mud up to my ankles in these shoes, quick wash down and brush up and they came up like new.
'Kernow bys Vyken'

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 21 Mar 2012, 4:21pm

do you wish to walk in the same shoes, far or not at all?

Do you wish to be able to ride the bike in ordinary shoes, far or not at all?

Do you have any views on clipless pedals?

These things tend to shape your choice somewhat.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 21 Mar 2012, 4:24pm

Lidl are selling these tomorrow. (22/03/2012). Very good value for money. (I have 2 pairs.)
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _29736.htm

These take SPD style cleats so there are a fair pedals that they will fit.

I have Shimano pedals on most of my bikes such as:
M520: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMPEDM160
A520: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000
A530: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMPEDA732

I like the A520 as it gives a good platform area and have these on 3 of the bikes. It is only "single sided" but I don't have trouble clipping in or out.
The M520 is O.K. if you have a really stiff sole to spread the load. Some people complain of a "hot spot" on their foot possibly because it's a small "platform". (I don't use these at the moment but they are a good few old.).
The A530 is fine for ordinary shoes or SPD but the flat side could be slippy when wet. I have these on one of my bikes.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

hufty

Postby hufty » 21 Mar 2012, 5:28pm

Touring set up for me after a saturated tour in Norway is ordinary Keen sandals and toe straps. I would prefer to be cleated, but I haven't found a better sandal with an enclosed toe, and there's a width "problem" on the current Keen cycle-specific sandals.

Anyway, you don't have to go for shimano SPD pedals and cleats that's all I was going to say. Time ATAC pedals and cleats get my vote because there's nothing to adjust and little to go wrong. You can wear the front edge of the cleat down to practically nothing and you can still clip in, which is not the case with SPDs I understand.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

alicej

Postby alicej » 21 Mar 2012, 7:32pm

I've fancied some of those Keen sandals for ages, but they seem really expensive. Is there anywhere they can be got for less than £76.50? (http://www.purekit.com/Keen_Womens_Comm ... terSandals)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 21 Mar 2012, 7:37pm

they look nice; I got some shimano SPD sandals cheap in a sale ages ago, but I confess I've not used them much, it is usually too cool early mornings for sandals. The shimano ones are open-toed BTW; the Keen ones look a better idea.....

A thought.. I wonder if you could cut up a set of Lidl shoes to make 'sandals'...? :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

johnb

Postby johnb » 21 Mar 2012, 8:50pm

Do a search on amazon.fr for some reason a lot of gear is cheaper there and is at your door in two to three days.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.

peterh11

Postby peterh11 » 21 Mar 2012, 9:24pm

If you are touring then you probably want shoes which will be OK off the bike as well as comfortable on. I'd start here and try your local shops to find something you are comfortable in and fits!

I have relatively wide, flat feet and find many (especially Shimano) shoes too narrow. I have been using Specialized Taho shoes (widely available around £60-65 online and in bike shops, eg Evans if you are in London) for several years, both with toe clips + straps and more recently with SPD pedals, and I like them because they are reasonably firm as well as wide enough and supportive in the right way for me, while being OK to walk in - without SPD cleats they are basically stiff trainers, and the SPD cleats are somewhat recessed so you don't notice them on soft ground and just get some clattering on paving.

Pedals - I have some which seem to be a copy of the Shimano M324 (I think they are Wellgo WPD-M17C, not sure, but the picture of these online looks right, about £30-35 online). Easy to use, give you decent float if you don't adjust them too tight, and you can turn them over when you don't want to be clipped in (offroad, or heavy traffic). I like them and have ridden lots of miles on them. Not fancy but they work.

(Edit: I figured out these pedals are actually Genetic Chimera. I'm starting to have problems with them after about 3000 miles, and I haven't figured out if I can service them yet. See my new topic "Genetic Chimera pedals - worth servicing?" so I'm back off actively recommending them for now!)

I also have some Shimano M424 pedals which have clips both sides and big plastic surrounds. These are easier to use as you might guess but you really can't ride far unclipped, and I hear from friends that the plastic surrounds are a bit easily broken.

Hope this helps!

Peter H
Last edited by peterh11 on 24 Mar 2012, 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

steady eddy

Postby steady eddy » 22 Mar 2012, 8:55am

What size feet have you got - I have a pair of Northwave mission shoes in a 46 very lightly used plus a set of Shimano 520 one sided pedals I would be happy to part with. £60 the lot posted. I suppose I should put them on the for sale board.

beano

Postby beano » 23 Mar 2012, 7:53am

steady eddy wrote:What size feet have you got - I have a pair of Northwave mission shoes in a 46 very lightly used plus a set of Shimano 520 one sided pedals I would be happy to part with. £60 the lot posted. I suppose I should put them on the for sale board.

Size 8 so a bit big for me! Thank you for the offer.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 23 Mar 2012, 9:32pm

+1 for the Lidl shoes. They are very cumfy and last a-g-e-s. I still have mine from about 3 years ago.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

patpalloon

Postby patpalloon » 26 Mar 2012, 12:41pm

I recently got a Dawes Super Galaxy touring bike which comes with single-sided SPD pedals.
I got these specific Specialized touring shoes:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025555

They are great, very comfortable. Not really suitable for lots of walking, but very good on the bike.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.