Disc built wheels on a non disc bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bealer

Disc built wheels on a non disc bike

Postby bealer » 4 Apr 2012, 4:23pm

I've got two sets of road wheels, both built with hubs that take disc rotors. I know the general make-up for a disc built wheel is slightly different in terms of spoke arrangement.

I'm looking at getting a new frame (maybe a Mercian). I was just wondering if I could use one of these sets of wheels with it (obviously with the rotors removed). I can't see why it wouldn't work, but wanted to double check. Anyone know?

meic

Re: Disc built wheels on a non disc bike

Postby meic » 4 Apr 2012, 4:49pm

Yes they are fine.

There is the possibility of a real hair splitting difference about the trailing spokes being on the inside or outside but that is splitting hairs of the most extreme kind. :lol:

Oops sorry that is fine for the hubs, obviously it isnt fine if they have disk-only rims fitted.
Yma o Hyd

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 4 Apr 2012, 5:10pm

Hubs will be fine the dishing will be slightly different, not so that you're going to notice.

The rims need to have a braking surface, not all do as they can be sold as disc specific...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 4 Apr 2012, 6:02pm

Why not get the frame with disc mounts? Even if you don't use them at first, they're not so big as to hinder until you do.

I will say though, as good looking as Mercians are, their disc mounts are rather, errrm, plain.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 4 Apr 2012, 6:25pm

mrjemm wrote:Why not get the frame with disc mounts?

well the fork could be considerably more heavily built in order to take disc brakes; the bending loads at the fork tip are about x10 more with a disc brake. Handbuilt frames can have nice twangy forks if they are for rim-brakes only, but are unlikely to do so if they are for disc brakes.

With fat enough tyres maybe it doesn't make much difference...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

531colin

Postby 531colin » 4 Apr 2012, 6:52pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Hubs will be fine the dishing will be slightly different, not so that you're going to notice.

The rims need to have a braking surface, not all do as they can be sold as disc specific...

To be extra pedantic, the rear is the same.....the disc fits in the "empty" space on the left.
Ideally the over locknut dimension should be exactly the same on frame and wheel, although many people are happy if its +/- 5mm. on a steel frame

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 4 Apr 2012, 8:57pm

My hybrid has disc wheels (centre-lock with covers over them) but I use V-brakes - no problems at all providing that the rims have a braking surface as well. :mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

bealer

Postby bealer » 5 Apr 2012, 11:40pm

Cool cheers for the feedback. One set of wheels are a hand built set of Rigida Synpers so will be fine for brake pads on the rims. So it sounds like I'll be fine.

I could consider a frame with disc mounts. I do actually really like mechanical disc brakes. But, at current, I think with a custom build I'd go for rim brakes.