Pannier suggestions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Pannier suggestions

Post by mattsccm »

Apart from the obvious, Carradice, Ortlieb etc can anyone suggest any particular brand that is shall we say, less extravagant. Once a year use just doesn't justify Ortlieb etc prices, nice that they may be. Equally I am avoiding the 25 quid bay specials.Little appears 2nd hand so the middle ground is my area of choice.Things like Barberi (sp?) come up. ny experiences or suggestions.
julk

Re: Pannier suggestions

Post by julk »

Edinburgh Coop Revolution pannier bags are 'mid price', to my mind.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I can suggest the Altura Arran panniers. They come in 16, 36 or 46ltr sizes and coloured black. The reflective trim is really good and actually works. There is one main compartment and one hood compartment, with the exception of the 46's which have an additional side pocket and is the reason I chose the 36's. Fewer pockets to tear.
They've been out in some light rain and coped ok for 2-3 hours, but I'd suggest getting hold of pannier rain covers or wrapping everything you want kept dry in plastic bags if conditions worsen.
The fixing mounts are very stable but also very easy to remove.
Personally, I love'em :)
They're going for about £40 at Evans and have a full list of spare parts for the mounting clips.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ta. Both seem good options.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I have ortlieb, Altura Arran and Altura Fusion panniers. The Arrans are Ok but they aren't fully waterproof. easily solved by packing your kit in binbags. The Fusions are waterproof and cheaper than the Ortliebs, about £70 per pair. The Ortliebs are very good and fully waterproof (more so than the Fusions) but they are expensive. I tend to use the Arrans or Fusions day to day and the Ortliebs for fully loaded touring.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Ortlieb City Line are rather cheaper and lighter and yet just as good.
Willem
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

+1 for the Arrans, they do come with waterproof covers but never had to use them, so don't know how effective they are
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Bowland Rider

Post by Bowland Rider »

I know you've already mentioned them, but i'd still go for Carradice panniers - they come up on Ebay all the time and are nigh on indestructible. I've got Vaude aqua rears panniers (like ortliebs) and carridice Super C fronts and i prefer the Super C's every time.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

The excessively complicated spreadsheet I did when choosing my panniers strongly suggests Altura Arrans are the best value quality panniers. I chose Vaude Discover Pro, for quite a lot more money. Had I not had access to a staff discount to make the cost more reasonable, I'd have got the Arrans.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Sorted thanks. Arrans via classifieds here!
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Malaconotus wrote:The excessively complicated spreadsheet I did when choosing my panniers strongly suggests Altura Arrans are the best value quality panniers. I chose Vaude Discover Pro, for quite a lot more money. Had I not had access to a staff discount to make the cost more reasonable, I'd have got the Arrans.

Would you mind sharing this spreadsheet? I'm in the market too and trying to weight up cost vs weight vs waterproofness. My current Alturas are coming to the end of their life after 7 years of nearly daily use and many thousands of kilometres of touring.

Also, anyone know how much the Altura fusion panniers weigh for a pair? I've seen conflicting reports on the web.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Arrans are the biggest ones 46 Ltrs?. They weigh exactly 1kg each. I always pack everything in plastic bags, and I do have the yellow covers which are quite effective and quite prominent on the road. I really like the outer pockets because they are an ideal place for tools, stove etc. So you can easily get to them whilst on the road. The other nice thing is the lids. Inside there is a sort of duffle bag top, but its easy to carry a fleece or rainproof top just roughly stuffed under the lids which are secured with two plastic catches. They always go on and off the bike seemingly quicker and easier than any of my companions panniers.
Great panniers.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m60b139s74p ... 2012/RS_GB

as waterproof as ortliebs, 60 litres and excellent value at £55