will i need a new chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cols3064

will i need a new chain

Post by cols3064 »

a tooth as broke on my cassette,causing gear slip on that ring,will i need to put a new chain on when i replace the cassette,the chain as had not much weare
Brucey

Re: will i need a new chain

Post by Brucey »

the chain should be 1/2" pitch. If you measure a 12" length, you should be able to see if it is 'stretched' (its really wear, not stretch) at all... if it is more than about 1.5mm 'stretched' in a 12" length (sorry for the mixed units...) then the chain usually needs to be replaced for use with a new cassette.

BTW It is very unusual to lose a tooth without the chain being damaged in some way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Your best bet is probably to get a new chain. Chains are cheap, and cassettes are expensive. Worn chains destroy cassettes, so I would not risk it.
Willem
meic

Post by meic »

I find it is the other way around nowadays and that chains are expensive and cassettes are cheap.

Either are available from around £8 up. I am now paying more for chains than cassettes, others will be spending differently.
Yma o Hyd
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

cols3064 wrote:a tooth as broke on my cassette,causing gear slip on that ring,will i need to put a new chain on when i replace the cassette,the chain as had not much weare

Only if the chain is worn - if you have a chain wear measuring tool you can check if that is the case. If not then you don't need a new chain.