Tyre problem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crazydavid

Tyre problem

Post by crazydavid »

Hi All

Picked up a p*******e a couple of nights ago. I was at a busy junction and could not stop, so I had to cycle about 100 metres with the tyre deflated to get to a safe place.

To cut a long story short, once I got home and fixed the tube and removed the glass, I could not get the tyre to seat on the rim. Every time that I went to inflat it, the tyre popped of the rim. It looks as if the wire bead is distorted. Is it time to throw the tyre away? It is a Cityjet, 26 X 1.50, about 3 years old and it's done about 4000 miles.

I have tried it on another rim and it still won't seat properly, so I don't think that it is the rim.

Thanks

David
Brucey

Re: Tyre problem

Post by Brucey »

the edge of the tyre has a wire bead in it. I would say it is likely that it is either bent or broken. If the latter, bin the tyre. If the former, try to straighten any kink there might be in it. You can normally do this by hand.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crazydavid

Post by crazydavid »

Thank you Brucey, I will give that a go!!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

crazydavid wrote:Hi All

Picked up a p*******e a couple of nights ago. I was at a busy junction and could not stop, so I had to cycle about 100 metres with the tyre deflated to get to a safe place.

To cut a long story short, once I got home and fixed the tube and removed the glass, I could not get the tyre to seat on the rim. Every time that I went to inflat it, the tyre popped of the rim. It looks as if the wire bead is distorted. Is it time to throw the tyre away? It is a Cityjet, 26 X 1.50, about 3 years old and it's done about 4000 miles.

I have tried it on another rim and it still won't seat properly, so I don't think that it is the rim.

Thanks

David

4000m! Blimey you've had your use out of it.