Discs or canti's on a new tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Discs or canti's on a new tourer

Post by 531colin »

CREPELLO wrote:
531colin wrote:Mini Vees with road STI are better than most cantis, fullsize Vees with appropriate levers are better again.

I have been pondering swapping to mini v's on the tourer, but two things concern me:
*What's the gap between the brake blocks and the wheel rim? What gap can be considered acceptable if the bike is going to used in muddy condition?
*Will the top part of the brake clear the top of the mudgaurd to leave good mud clearance for 32mm tyres?

If both these clearances are acceptable, then I would consider mini v's.

bealer wrote:Does anyone use mini-v's?

Was just looking at them as an option (brake lever dependent) but googling around can't find clear info on clearace. I ride up to 32C with 45mm wide SKS Chromoplastics. Would they be able to clear them?

Mini Vees are now a "standard option" on our tourers, as are 32mm Marathons. I'll take some photos at work.
Goodwith "road" drop levers, eg STI
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

mrjemm wrote:They look really good to me, and I like that he's willing to try such different things and come out with something that works. I have been having these thoughts about succumbing to temptation, but it's more about self-justification than affordability; my riding doesn't deserve something so nice, but when I consider other forms of transport, that price is not so bad- teenagers have scooters and cars that cost more than a Ti frame, but it's bespoke, fitted and very very nice.

I see there are eyes on the forks, but do you need an adapted rack for the front?

Sorry for the hijack, OP, but maybe some useful things come up!

Dunno about an adapted rack, only front rack I've ever had is a Gilles Berthoud adjustable that I had to do some 'work' on to get it to fit the way i wanted.

As for your riding not deserving anything nice, you don't need to justify. If it will make you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, then do it.

We didn't 'need' the Ti bikes for our riding, but there was nothing suitable at the time (2 years ago) that was compatible with disks, that was small enough for my wife and was Ti.

Custom was the best solution, and possibly the cheapest, to get what we wanted.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
bealer

Post by bealer »

In the end I decided on canti mounts on the frame, just waiting on the supplier now. I already have a disc touring bike, which will now become my all weather training bike. And I'm very much a fair weather tourer, so rim brakes should be fine.

The next decision which I have sort of made, is v-brakes or canti's.

I think I'll opt for downtube shifters, and brake levers with enough pull, so that I can fit some standard sized XT v-brakes.
The other alternative is Campag Ergo's (Shimergo style) with CR720 canti's.

Bike should weigh in at around 10kg, or 11kg with mudguards and rack. That's 2.6kg lighter than my Croix De Fer in touring trim.

Now I just need to ditch the netbook for a tablet and I'll be another 800g lighter!
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

bealer wrote:
I think I'll opt for downtube shifters, ...

I've just swapped from downtube shifters to STI's, I got fedd up of being in the wrong gear around devon and cornwall last year, found it difficult to shift safely on the steep descents to get the right gear for the climb out of the valley.

I liked the idea of the downtube shifters, but safety is more paramount now.
--
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrewjoseph wrote:
bealer wrote:
I think I'll opt for downtube shifters, ...

I've just swapped from downtube shifters to STI's, I got fedd up of being in the wrong gear around devon and cornwall last year, found it difficult to shift safely on the steep descents to get the right gear for the climb out of the valley.

I liked the idea of the downtube shifters, but safety is more paramount now.

Kelly's are the only other reasonable and very competent answer to STI's IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Kinda random thread drift going on here.

You need to make sure it's a non Apple tablet... See if I can swerve this off in another one. :wink:
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

reohn2 wrote:...

dunno what those, off to do an an alta vista ('cos i'm old skool!)

Well! I don't know who that kelly is, but her mother should be ashamed of herself!!

as for the shifters, interseting, but i don't think I'll be going back, unless my STI's break, (has been known to happen).
--
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

mrjemm wrote:Kinda random thread drift going on here.

You need to make sure it's a non Apple tablet... See if I can swerve this off in another one. :wink:

yeah, you can get Ti cases for android tablets.

(Back on track... sort of...)
--
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrewjoseph wrote:
reohn2 wrote:...

dunno what those, off to do an an alta vista ('cos i'm old skool!)

Well! I don't know who that kelly is, but her mother should be ashamed of herself!!

as for the shifters, interseting, but i don't think I'll be going back, unless my STI's break, (has been known to happen).

http://kellybike.com/2nd_xtra_takeoff.html
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Yeah, I did actually see them. but the first iteration of the search parameter 'kelly take off', surprised me. :twisted:
--
531colin

Post by 531colin »

531colin wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:
531colin wrote:Mini Vees with road STI are better than most cantis, fullsize Vees with appropriate levers are better again.

I have been pondering swapping to mini v's on the tourer, but two things concern me:
*What's the gap between the brake blocks and the wheel rim? What gap can be considered acceptable if the bike is going to used in muddy condition?
*Will the top part of the brake clear the top of the mudgaurd to leave good mud clearance for 32mm tyres?

If both these clearances are acceptable, then I would consider mini v's.

bealer wrote:Does anyone use mini-v's?

Was just looking at them as an option (brake lever dependent) but googling around can't find clear info on clearace. I ride up to 32C with 45mm wide SKS Chromoplastics. Would they be able to clear them?

Mini Vees are now a "standard option" on our tourers, as are 32mm Marathons. I'll take some photos at work.
Goodwith "road" drop levers, eg STI

Photos....

700x30 marathon racer, a glimmer of daylight under the guard, ie the edges of the guard are about level with the top of the tyre.

Plenty of daylight under the brake cable. (Tektro mini Vee...it says Tektro on it, just as well, I'd forgotten!)

1.5 or 2mm daylight between pad and rim, and a fair gap under a surprisingly clean mudguard.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Nice one, thanks for the pics!

Those look like the Tektro RX5's. I'll either be going for those then (with Ergo's) or XT v-brakes with brakes with better pull (Tektro's).

My Soma frame is on order. Went for the disc version. The imported forks were stupidly expensive, so opted for a set of Surly Cross Check forks to go with it (canti mounts)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Yes, thanks for the pic's Colin. They show that the mini v's are well suited to the Spa Tourer.

My Hewitt Cheviot appears to have greater clearance at the fork crown. That means that the mudguards are relatively higher but are set at the maximum drop already. In this case it is much more marginal as to whether mini v's, even with 90mm arms would clear the mudguard.

But I have just remembered that the fork comes with a direct mudguard fitting (a boss on the underside of the crown) which could make lowering the mudguard easier than I thought.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

has anyone run sums on the geometry? I confess I have not, through sloth....

Just wondering if the brakes compare well with cantis both in theory and practice.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:has anyone run sums on the geometry? I confess I have not, through sloth....

Just wondering if the brakes compare well with cantis both in theory and practice.

cheers

In practice they are clearly better than CR720, and at least as good as my favourite mid-profile canti....