Axle slides in bottom bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ericonabike

Axle slides in bottom bracket

Post by ericonabike »

Doing some fettleing on my son's Kona Dr Dew. Replacing chain and cassette, but when holding cranks once chain removed, realised the axle is fee to slide in the BB. By about 5mm - a really noticeable slide! There is no 'play' in the BB at all, but I am flummoxed by the sideways movement. Is this built-in and if so why? Have to say son has seen no shifting difficulties etc.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
james01

Re: Axle slides in bottom bracket

Post by james01 »

If there's no side play we can assume it's not a traditional cup and cone design. Could be it's a cassette with pressed in bearing outers where the pressings have come loose but are still tight enough not to allow side-play. The cure may be a simple tightening of the left-hand shell. Alternatively a previous dismantler may have omitted to replace a spacer.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Looking at this bike on Kona's website it seems to be an external bottom bracket. Shimano diagram shows the arrangement and how to adjust it. I've never done one of these so don't know but it looks like a spacer is missing or there might be something to tighten up. See http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque for more details. Looks like you need a special tool but that adjustment is rather like an ahead headset
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it is an outboard BB system it could be a missing spacer or even just a loose LH crank.

If you can post photos this might help.

BTW it is a very good idea to use a torque wrench on this assy; too loose or too tight can be equally bad.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Doh! when I said 'no discernible play' it was after tugging at the drive side crank. When I tugged at the left hand crank it nearly came off in my hand! Retightening the crank on the axle solved the problem. [slinks away shamefacedly]
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.