Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crg

Re: Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability

Post by crg »

CXRAndy wrote: 4 Apr 2020, 11:58am Ive just modified my Alfine drain plug to a magnetic version

I acquired a batch of 3 mm Neodymium magnets 0.29 kg pull

I set the drain plug in a piece of alloy to hold it whilst I drilled the required hole. By the way the thread for the drain plug is 6mm by 1mm pitch

I drilled a couple of millimetres into the plug applied Araldite steel epoxy adhesive. Its oil, chemical resistant.

Set magnet in hole left to cure for a couple of hours
See bold phrase ... how does one set in a piece of alloy?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Drill and tap some other material (ally in this instance) to support the threads and hold the piece in a vice
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JB (or anyone else)

What would cause excess drag in gears 7-11?

My understanding is that these are the same as 1-6, but without the initial reduction gear. My intuition therefore says they should be less draggy, not more.
Currently driving the hub without an output connected, so whilst it is spinning faster that doesn’t account for the extra drag I am feeling.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jb

Post by jb »

Well it probably does the same in 1-6 but the reduction gear hides it. But also, when in 7-11 it is spinning the reduction wheel round at a fast rate and it's dragging slightly on the roller clutch. Perhaps that's the reason?
Cheers
J Bro
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There might also have been an aspect to which… the thing was basically bone dry inside.

It was very noticeable, 6 was substantially easier than 7… which I don’t think it should have been.
Helps slightly when you drop back to a 38tooth chainring from the 95 I had been inadvertently using - that’s always going to make things harder.

I managed to get three drops of oil when I removed the shell… there was some on the shell itself (no metal fragments, but some oil) and some on the internals, but no free oil at all.
I’ve added 25ml of the special sauce and it’s unsurprisingly somewhat happier.
jb

Post by jb »

Well as long as there was some on the internals, they don't need a lot but if there was no free oil some parts may become dry before others.
Best to check for leaks out the shaft seals or the plastic cap.
The NDS seal is easy to replace the other side involves a strip down & the special tool to Knock the cone off. If the plastic cap leaks it may need a new one.
Cheers
J Bro
crg

Post by crg »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 12:50pm Drill and tap some other material (ally in this instance) to support the threads and hold the piece in a vice
Makes sense. Thanks Bob.
drodrig

Post by drodrig »

Hi,

Does anybody know where to buy the hose for the oil replacement?
I find them absurdly expensive. I have plenty of syringes at home, I just need the hose with the two connectors
In Aliexpress I couldn't find anything, just for the brakes

cheers,
jb

Post by jb »

I use the blunt needle you get with a cartridge filling set, maybe their available on eBay.
Then you just inject oil into the filling hole in the hub.
To remove the oil it's best to remove the innards then you can wipe the hub shell clean.
Cheers
J Bro
RJC

Post by RJC »

I think the Rohloff oil change fitting is compatible - maybe that gives some cheaper options?

E.g. (£1.49)
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohlo ... ctor-8502/
A reviewer said it fits Alfine 11.
drodrig

Post by drodrig »

In Germany, where I am, not that cheap either

But I found a good price in Rose bikes

thanks all!
crossy

Post by crossy »

I’ve read you can use Rohloff oil in a Shimano 11 hub. I found a litre of Shimano oil for £46. Can you use SHimano oil in a Rohloff hub instead of their own. Would you need the Rohloff flushing oil to flush out the hub or would the Shimano oil do the flushing out as well.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
jb

Post by jb »

Shimano oil will damage a Rolloff hub because there are plastic/nylon bits in the hub
Cheers
J Bro
crossy

Post by crossy »

Ok thanks didn’t think it would be that easy.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
drodrig

Post by drodrig »

Hi

I have a trekking bike with the Alfine 11 and a belt.

It seems to me it is not rotating as freely as it should be. It looks that there are lots of friction.

Here a video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aoXw8acetfFYD1HM6

Pushing with the hand I can get just half of a turn (backwards)

Is this normal with the Alfine 11? Maybe the belt has something to do?

cheers,