Frame-bag / Salsa Anything Cage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DougieB

Frame-bag / Salsa Anything Cage

Post by DougieB »

Hi,

Is anyone using these cages ? http://salsacycles.com/components/anything_cage/

I want to switch from panniers to frame-bags (surly troll), but that would mean moving where I store water. with the Anything Cages it looks like 1.5 litres of water either side would be possible. but I'd be interested to know if someone's already gone down this route.

I'm also looking at frame-bags, and outside of the US the choice seems pretty limited. Maybe Carradice will offer something at some point, but in the mean time this is all I find : http://wildcatgear.co.uk/products/frame-bags/# In the US Porcelain Rocket look pretty tasty, but $$ and a 10 week lead time. Similarly, anyone using frame-bags ?

NOTE: this is for slow/long off-road touring, I'm not racing; so adverse handling isn't really a concern.

thanks,
Doug
garibeet

Re: Frame-bag / Salsa Anything Cage

Post by garibeet »

Hi Doug, I have just done the exact same thing myself. I was hankering for some Revelate bags but he is almost constantly out of stock of what I wanted, also the VAT and customs would be a killer. I finally ordered a full set from Veloista in Switzerland, as they are a stockist they had it posted the following day. I expect it to arrive sometime early this week, I shall let you know how it works out.
Cheers
Gari
bealer

Post by bealer »

I've been looking at those cages too.

I still want my panniers, but it would be nice to move some of the weight forward by mounting a few things on the forks or inside the frame. I think I'd still like my water bottles inside the frame, well at least one, for drinking. But I've been wondering about using such a cage for holding my sleeping mat, or sleeping bag (wrapped up in dry bags).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Light weight in the description - one thing water isn't!

4lb weight limit

That's 1.8kg - or 1.8 litres (assuming your bottle weighs nothing)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
JosephCallard

Post by JosephCallard »

Hi,
I recently made a framebag myself, in all cost about £25-30, if you have access to a sewing machine then its not too hard, there's a few tutorials on bikepacking.net.

As for anything cages I've heard of a few breaking, definitely for light and bulky items. For water lots of people go with a bottle cage strapped on each fork leg and a camelback or platypus inside the framebag if more capacity is needed.

Joe
RickH

Post by RickH »

Salsafargo - the OP of this topic - has some (& a link to some pics on Flickr there too).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

i use the anything cages and a rear rack with ortlieb front panniers on the rear,anything cages fit my 1 man tent and sleeping mat each cage will take a 5 litre dry bag i only use light bullky things.
i have a friend who makes frame bags all you do is send a template of your front triangle to him. http://www.buggybags.co.uk/pages/BikeBagOptions.htm
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

thanks for the replies. garibeet, did it turn up ?

I normally pick up 1.5 litre bottles of water when touring, and ram them into standard bottle cages. the cages always brake at the joining weld (because the bottle is too big, rather than too heavy). the salsa anything cage looked to be a better design, to cope with the size of 1.5 litre bottles. isn't the (rough) weight of 1.5 litres of water 3.3 pounds ?

another option is some sturdier standard bottle cages, maybe of a more suitable shape, clamped onto the fork legs (I've only one suitable rack-boss).

cheers
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

i use a toepeak modula xl bottle cage to carry 1.5 litre bottles of water
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I've got the mk 3. version of this - http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/index.asp
It's been really good - very secure over rough terrain and easily holds a 2 litre water bottle. Made of stainless steel. The only disadantages are that you can't easily use it while riding as it's a bit fiddly locating the holes on the underside to hook it back on the frame, and the steel bands that go round the bottle can wear through the bottle (if it's a 2l coke/mineral water bottle, for example) some tape or inner tube could sort the latter out though. I also wouldn't want to put something like a tent in it without padding round the metal too.