Bike for a small woman

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
redmazzy

Bike for a small woman

Post by redmazzy »

I'm currently investing in my first bike, well I have a Brompton but I want a bike for going longer distances, training for my cycling holiday and having weekends away cycling and camping.

I also have arthritis in my spine so comfort and a good fit is important. Cycling is one of the few sports I can do to help myself keep fit because it's low impact. It's something I want to do more of, I currently commute to work every day on my Brompton.

I was advised to buy a tourer, so I've tried the Jamis Bosa Nova tourer, firstly it was strange riding a bike with big wheels as I've been riding only my Brompton for the last 3 years. Secondly I felt even at 48cm frame it feels too big (I'm 5 1"), I can just about reach the ground if I'm right on my tip toes from the seat, The seat is in it's lowest position and right next to the cross bar, which feels dangerously close to my crotch too. I feel apprehensive about spending the best part of £800 on a bike I'm not sure about. Evans were pretty useless in terms of helping me, they ordered the bike in specially, but then I was just handed it to test ride with no advice on whether it was the right size. After I spoke to another assistant and he suggested an entry level women's road bike as the geometry is a bit less severe and more built for comfort. Trouble is I don't like the way most of the models I've been shown look, I like steel framed bikes but there doesn't seem much choice for that. I think a 46cm is probably the right fit for me, I tried my friends Specialized hybrid which is an extra small frame, it felt a better fit than the bosa nova and helped me see it was the wheel size that felt weird and that I would get used to that.

Evans are also ordering a Ridgeback Voyager in for me which is a 47cm frame.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I live in London so the bike shop needs to be near me.
willem jongman

Re: Bike for a small woman

Post by willem jongman »

At your size, any 700 c bike will either be too large or have an awkward geometry. So the starting point should be a small bike with 26 inch wheels. Next, because (like me) you have arthritic problems, I suggest wide tyres. The 50 mm Schwalbe Big Apple is a good allround choice for a fast, comfy and reliable touring tyre. The 26x1.75 Panaracer Pasela is a slightly narrower and faster tyre that is also very comfortable. If you have money to spare, the Compass 26x1.75 version of the same tyre is much smoother again. Anyway, the bike must have clearance for such tyres. I like drop handlebars for their comfort.
Willem
lisap

Post by lisap »

Have you considered the Islabike Luath 700 Large. I know it is advertised as a childs bike but everything on it is petite which might suit you better than trying to fit an adult sized bike that is just uncomfortable. They are very well built and sutable for commuting, touring, racing etc. They also have a sizing chart on the website which might give you an indication of the size of bike you actually need.
Another good website which will allow you to work out your sizing needs is the Van Nicholas site.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have seen a rather beautifully made Mercian with 24" wheels for a petite lady, and as others have pointed out, 26" wheels free up some space too.

Steel frames are nice, but if you are running fat tyres (41mm +, say) their benefits are somewhat less necessary.

As a compromise/stopgap/starting point, might I suggest a rigid MTB-based machine? Perhaps with an adjustable stem? This should let you get used to the idea of a touring bike, and identify what position will suit you in the long run. This may help you avoid making an expensive mistake with your next 'proper' purchase.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I bought a Cube women's hardtail mtb for my daughter. It has a short geometry designed for women in particular. It comes in pretty small sizes, and is great value for money. Fit 50 mm Big Apple tyres and a sturdy rear rack like by Old Man Mountain and you are all set for light touring. The frame is very light, so not the best idea for really heavy touring.
Willem
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

My wife (4'10") has a 700C wheeled Dawes Sonoran. It has a low step through light alloy frame and Jean loves it!

The only modification we needed was to remove the supplied suspension seat post (which didn't let the saddle go low enough) and replace it with a 'fits into the seat tube' type (from cycological in US - but I think you can get them more easily now). The bike comes with rack, mudguards etc and has seen many years of trouble free service, well worth the £400 asking price.

Cheers

Stradageek (and wife)
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

I recently did a Specialized 'BG Fit' session - ok it's expensive, but so is several visits to a physiotherapist to sort out strains/tears and pulls.

Highly recommended if you have bent/sore/long term issues. Pop into one of the stores and have a chat - there's a few in London, dotted around. Alternatively, quite a few shops other shops do fitting sessions that are cheaper and probably just as good. I'm certainly noticing the difference. And no, I didn't get fitted to my Brompton, in case anyone wondered.
georgew

Post by georgew »

My friend who is shorter than 5'1" bought a Thorn Sherpa with 26" wheels. Thorn was able to supply a chain-set with shorter cranks and the frame was chosen by them in order to have the Top tube the correct size. She loves the bike and is very comfortable.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Short cranks is indeed very relevant. My wife is short and now has 160 mm cranks. Her riding style has much improved.
Willem
anwar.rhm

Post by anwar.rhm »

How about a Birdy with comfort stem? Very expensive but with it’s low step over and dual suspension it’ll be well comfortable. It folds too (could sell the Brompton to help fund it...). Bikefix in London have them http://www.bikefix.co.uk/shop/index.php ... gl_id=2#a2

Anwar
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I wouldn't get too hung up on whether you can touch the ground sitting in the saddle. I have never been able to do this on any bike I have had. I am a bloke but only 5' 7" with shortish legs. If I could touch the ground with both feet then the bike would be seriously too small for me.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.