Expanding my Tool Kit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MacBludgeon

Expanding my Tool Kit

Post by MacBludgeon »

So, I've been gradually adding to my tools and trying to follow a method of buying quality first rather than bike specific tools, which seem to be very expensive for what they are. I have still ended up with a fair smattering of Park stuff and some Rohloff specific bits but I have accumulated another little want list. What I'm not sure on is whether or not I need to pay bike specific prices for these or if there are generic cheaper alternatives:-

1. having recently invested in both the TW1 and TW2 Park beam style torque wrenches I was looking at fittings for them. Park do this one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36853
which I think is an ok buy as it covers the main cycling bits

2. rubber mallet for headset removal and general bashing - I've seen these as cheap as £2 on e-bay but £20ish for a cycling branded one - does it matter and if so what should I look for?

3. headset press - I seriously balk at the fancy ones but have seen this on e-bay, is it good enough?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110898892769? ... 1423.l2649
Would that model will be a bit too shot at 250mm of threaded rod as I have 200mm head tubes but maybe if I only inserted one cup at a time?

4. headset removal tool - these split rod things seem to range from about £5 to £20+, any recommendations?

5. Hollowtech 2 BB tool - I already have the little plastic bit for preloading it's the actual wrench. There's the big sort of handled version and then there are ones that are just a fitting for a socket wrench. The latter are cheaper and claimed to fit all external BBs, again any recommendations?

Any help, tips, ideas warmly welcomed....thanks....Al
nuns, no sense of humour
rich100

Re: Expanding my Tool Kit

Post by rich100 »

I bought one of those headset tools. Never fitted a headset before but wanted to be more independent of the lbs.
It's cheap and cheerful and fine for the price, however the handle thing is a waste of time as you can't get enough force on it, I ended up with an adjustable at either end, as you tighten it the rod and washer invariably ends up moving towards the edge at either end, it doesn't stay centred. One of the plastic washers has split into pieces after two headsets, need a replacement from DIY shop. You can make one yourself but for the price you might as well just buy it. I think I will end up getting a proper one at some point, maybe I was too heavy handed with mine.

As for the mallet, surely they are taking the pee with it being cycle specific?
johnb

Post by johnb »

I can recommend the Cyclus headset press and removal tool not expensive and good quality.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Thor hammers are brilliant.

http://www.thorhammer.com/index.php

Never needed a headset press, (that is what the soft hammer is for) but if I did I'd make one from M12 studding and big sockets.

Fat Spanner HII tool looks pretty good. It has a handle on, but has a 1/2" square drive as well for tough ones and/or torque wrenches.

http://www.fatspanneruk.com/product_details.aspx?Product=X-Type-Socket-BB-Tool

For headset removal a length of brass rod and some shaped pieces (round but with flats on so they can be dropped down the head tube) works fine.

You can spend a lot of money on tools that you don't really need. By contrast some tools are virtually impossible to buy strong enough at any price. I'm thinking of chain whips and so forth....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
meic

Post by meic »

For the external BBs I bought this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26744

Did I really pay that much? No choice really they are all expensive. :cry:

I agree with the reviews on that page, it is very secure on the BBs and it will not slip unless the cups are so tight that they break.
I have tested it on FSA and Shimano road BBs, it has 16 "teeth" inside and I believe that some BBs only have 8 notches so it will not fit them.

A cast solid item like this seems much better to me than a pressed steel one with an open end. The other type being far more likely to flex open and/or slip off the notches.
Yma o Hyd
MacBludgeon

Post by MacBludgeon »

well just ordered that Fatspanner BB tool thanks Bruce, also had a look at Thor hammers and I'm clueless....I've never bought a rubber mallet before. Do I want the soft rubber option and which of the 3 sizes is best suited?
nuns, no sense of humour
MacBludgeon

Post by MacBludgeon »

Just ordered the Park Tools set of bits and a Cyclus rubber mallet together so just the headset press and removal tool to go...they may have to wait til next month
nuns, no sense of humour
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Headset Press:
Long threaded bar and washers plus blocks of wood.

Removing Headset Races:
Long rod bent at the end and filed to a nice curved shape, then hardened.
Can be used for removing bearings, and hub bearing cups too.

Rubber Mallet:
Pound Shop.

Chain Whips:
Length of steel bar and old bits of chain. Even 6sp chain will work with 10sp.

Cassette removal without a chain whip:
Push pencils through the spokes into the rear of the cassette to lock it off.

Don't buy something that you can make yourself.
Mick F. Cornwall
MacBludgeon

Post by MacBludgeon »

Ah, but Mick my tool wall wouldn't look as snazzy with cobbled together stuff
nuns, no sense of humour
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D

I love tools.
I can spend ages in a tool shop drooling over the lovely lovely tools. I can appreciate a good tool - it makes the job so easy and when you get the right tool, you wonder how the heck you managed before!

However, for the bike owner only maintaining his own bike(s), paying out for headset presses, chain whips, wheel dishing tools, BB facing tools etc etc etc seems a bit OTT to me.

Proper workshop as a business is a different matter of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mick F wrote: I can appreciate a good tool - it makes the job so easy and when you get the right tool, you wonder how the heck you managed before!

I had a conversation with my wife about tools and she said almost the same thing.

She also agreed that old tools do last longer. But for occasional use newer cheaper ones although not as long lasting are useful. You just use until worn or not wanted, then throw away and get a new one.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
johnb

Post by johnb »

Mick F wrote::D

I love tools.
I can spend ages in a tool shop drooling over the lovely lovely tools. I can appreciate a good tool - it makes the job so easy and when you get the right tool, you wonder how the heck you managed before!

However, for the bike owner only maintaining his own bike(s), paying out for headset presses, chain whips, wheel dishing tools, BB facing tools etc etc etc seems a bit OTT to me.

Proper workshop as a business is a different matter of course.

Each to their own I suppose. Personally I don't see a bike owner acquiring and using good tools as OTT.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

johnb wrote:

Each to their own I suppose. Personally I don't see a bike owner acquiring and using good tools as OTT.

nor do I, up to a point.

However I think Mick and myself have both found the same thing; that a lot of tools sold for bikes are not good.

I own and use some tools which cost more than some of the bikes I own. Worth every penny.

But there are other tools where I could have made (and subsequently had to make) something far better in my shed, for peanuts.

Knowing the difference betwen overpriced, pointless, shoddily made rubbish and stuff that is worth having is the point here. Price and prettiness are not reliable indicators of quality and utility, far from it...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
johnb

Post by johnb »

Brucey wrote:
johnb wrote:

nor do I, up to a point.

However I think Mick and myself have both found the same thing; that a lot of tools sold for bikes are not good.

I own and use some tools which cost more than some of the bikes I own. Worth every penny.

But there are other tools where I could have made (and subsequently had to make) something far better in my shed, for peanuts.

Knowing the difference betwen overpriced, pointless, shoddily made rubbish and stuff that is worth having is the point here. Price and prettiness are not reliable indicators of quality and utility, far from it...

cheers

I agree with you, that's where judicious research before purchase is required.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OTT for me are headset installation tools, chain whips, pedal spanners, wheel dishing tools. Other things like BB tool, a cassette lockring tool, crank remover, and a chain rivet tool are very important indeed and cannot be done without. Also decent spoke key and Allen keys, and Torx if you need them.

I bought a Lifeline pedal spanner some time ago and the jaws are dented. I have a perfectly good Britool spanner that fits, I only bought the pedal spanner to make up an order.

Best bike specific tool I've ever bought is a cable cutter.
Second best is a Third Hand Tool to hold brake callipers tight whilst you do up the cable clamp.
Mick F. Cornwall