Lightweight lock for touring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Reigncloud

Lightweight lock for touring

Post by Reigncloud »

Can anyone suggest a good lightweight lock for touring? Yes, I understand the security risks of a lightweight lock! :) I've been using an alarmed cable lock up to now and it's been great, but unfortunately it got water into it last year and needs replacing. I'm inclined to go the same way, as the alarm function provides that little bit extra security without the weight penalty. I've read through the other threads on the alarm locks.

Weight is important to me, so that will be first priority (given a reasonable minimum level of security e.g. something with a cable/shackle at least about 5mm. Also no combination locks as they're so easy to crack). The use will be mostly for locking our two bikes and mostly just in campsites, with the very occasional city use when we stop for lunch.

Any suggestions?
Brucey

Re: Lightweight lock for touring

Post by Brucey »

I've used a micro-citadel for years, together with a variety of cable extenders. When camping, an alarm would be as good or better.

It isn't super-light, but it is a good deal more compact than some other locks.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You have got to decide what level of security you want and need.

For me, I just take a standard cheapo combination (no key to carry/loose) lock. I just use this to stop the bike being stolen when I am not actually holding it - eg eating, shopping, etc.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I recently took the alarmed lock that Mick F mentions on a camping tour to France altho I had a cable lock as well. It certainly made me confident that strange noises outside my tent in the middle of the night weren't caused by someone trying to steal my bike. Neither did it go off accidentally and wake the whole campsite as I had feared it might!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The light weight lock question prompts me to ask something I often wondered - why has no one made a titanium "D" (or "U") lock yet? If there are worries about the 2 halves cold welding them selves (as in Ti treads), then at least 1 half could be titanium.
Having once been asked to replace the "cheap" BB axle (axle nuts, not bolts) some Campag cranks were on (in fact it was an early campag titanuim BB axle), I can certainly say that solid lumps of titanium are seriously light - the Campag Ti BB axle felt (weightwise) as though it was made of plastic!
By the way, I refitted said axle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Titanium is a wonderful metal but I don't think it is especially good for making locks out of.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

when it gets properly certified I'll maybe eat my hat...?

cheers