Helmet sizing annoying!!!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
lackofgrip

Helmet sizing annoying!!!

Post by lackofgrip »

I'm a big lad and currently use a Specialized Max helmet - http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/he ... elmets/max

Im after something more sporty but everything seems to just be like a pea on a drum

I've recently tried

Lazer 02 XXL 62-64cm

Bontrager Circuit Large 58-64cm

Both just seemed to perch on top of my head and be miles away from the top of my ears? they just don't seem to sit right!!

How are road helmets supposed to look as I cant find anything and its really annoying me now!!

I cant be the only cyclist with a big head!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :shock:
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
Current :- CUBE Peloton Race, Planet X Kaffenback 2
drossall

Re: Helmet sizing annoying!!!

Post by drossall »

You aren't. My head is 66cm, and unusually long and narrow to boot. My LBS spent 10 years looking for a helmet for me. The one I have is a tight fit even now.

This may not be up to date, but is at least comforting.
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

I measured my head according to Bontrager and it measures 63cm but they still don't fit right!!!
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

The only one I like is the Louis Garneu one, but I'm sick of having to send them back when they don't fit
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this any use to you?

http://www.bhsi.org/bighead.htm [edit; cross post with earlier one, sorry]

you could always do what Jeremy Clarkson and James May did when they went to Vietnam...

(I'm ~56cm BTW, so you have my sympathies)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

I think that look is out, it's just really frustrating!!
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

My helmet used to fit fine till the pads wore out - i tried fitting some new ones but couldn't exactly the same pads so now it slips a bit and ends up slightly resting on my glasses putting pressure on the nose pads. This Sunday I tried just about every helmet on the shelf in my local Halfords and none seemed any better. The worse part of all the helmets I looked at was the chin straps not routing comfortably of being easy to adjust. Just have to keep looking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Metric sizing is circumference.
Imperial sizing is diameter.
Just thought I'd put that one into the mix. :D

I'm six and threequarters BTW ............ and Small for a cycling helmet coz they come in Small, Medium and Large, not in head measurement.
Mick F. Cornwall
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

Which part of head do I measure for the diameter?
Circumference is 63-64cm
I'm thinking of a last ditch to try this one

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... 4#features
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would go to a shop and try them on and ask questions.

Head sizes are one thing, but head shape is another. You need a good comfortable fit with enough adjustment in and out to cope with hair growth - or lack of it.

You also need to make sure you can get spare parts easily - pads, straps, clips etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

I've took a punt on the Garneau

Watch this space. Hoping this fits as it says size wise it's a cm bigger than the others I've tried, let's keep those fingers crossed people!!! :mrgreen: