Dolan Road Bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bearonabike

Dolan Road Bikes

Postby bearonabike » 29 Jun 2012, 10:49pm

Hi all,

Considering one of these as my new steed, but comparatively few reviews out there.

Has anyone got any experience or opinions on them?

I'm looking at either the Mythos or more probably the Hercules SE, which I think is a lovely looking bit of kit.

Any comments welcome

Thanks

David Cox

Re: Dolan Road Bikes

Postby David Cox » 30 Jun 2012, 7:14am

I dont know these models but a friend has a Dolan carbon road bike which he is pleased with. I'd regard them as a very respected manufacturer of racing (including track) frames. Sore a restored steel one in a classy retro shop in Vienna. Fred Williams stocks them locally (Wolverhampton) and builds bikes around them and I've always trusted their builds and judgement.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 30 Jun 2012, 8:05am

Partner has an aluminium framed Dolan, low end frame, he bought a few years ago... it probably is a bought in frame with Dolan on it,,,, but has not given us any problems, and did a 3 week tour in Spain and is used for commuting.
Never heard any complaints from anyone who has one.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 30 Jun 2012, 9:45am

The Mythos frame has had a slight redesign. The rear seat stays now have a slight curve similar to the Hercules.
dolan1 (Large).JPG
Click on image to expand.

Dolan have a special offer on the old design (straight seat stays) in a couple of sizes.
I don't know what's under the skin of either frame or any real differences except the colour. The Mythos comes in any colour as long as it's black. :wink:
Give Dolan a ring as they are very helpful.

review:
http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news ... -ride.html
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 30 Jun 2012, 10:54am

David Cox wrote:I dont know these models but a friend has a Dolan carbon road bike which he is pleased with. I'd regard them as a very respected manufacturer of racing (including track) frames. Sore a restored steel one in a classy retro shop in Vienna. Fred Williams stocks them locally (Wolverhampton) and builds bikes around them and I've always trusted their builds and judgement.

I'll second that. Andy Tennant rides them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolan_bikes/4612831514/

rickwiggans

Postby rickwiggans » 2 Jul 2012, 5:01pm

I have three Dolans. Excellent pieces of kit. Great people to deal with. I have a Hercules SL, a Dual and a Prefissio. My wife has a Mythos.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 3 Jul 2012, 8:19pm

Rode the Mythos for the first time today.
I was surprised at how "comfy" the ride is.
I was expecting a fairly harsh ride but it soaked up the general road buzz and small pot holes.
(using 23mm tires pumped to 7 bar rear & 6 front. 44 miles @ 16 mph average speed.)
Weighs about 18.5 lbs - but that will depend on the running gear etc.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

bearonabike

Postby bearonabike » 12 Sep 2012, 8:29pm

Thanks all. I'll be in Liverpool on business in November & will pop in to Dolan to have a look at the bikes then. Had a couple of very helpful & prompt email exchanges with them already - instinctively they feel like people I'd like to do business with.

The new Tuono SL looks stunning, but I'm not quite sure if the budget will stretch to the spec I want. I would need to be very nice to Mrs Bearonabike to be in with shout of that!

rickwiggans - have you any pics of your Hercules SL? I've only seen marketing pics & can't make up my mind what I think about it.....I'd be interested in some "real" pics. With regard to your wife's Mythos, how prominent is the carbon weave pattern? In some pics it looks overwhelming, in others virtually invisible - what's the reality?

Many thanks.

rickwiggans

Postby rickwiggans » 13 Sep 2012, 2:55pm

On way home from 3 weeks in alps with the bikes. I'll pm you later. Mythos carbon weave nicely discreet I'd say.