Possibly stupid question on breaking a chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Orangey

Possibly stupid question on breaking a chain

Post by Orangey »

Hi, I'm trying to replace the chain on my bike, however I'm having serious trouble getting the original one off. I've two tools for pushing pins out of chains (although this is the first time I've actually had to use one) and neither makes any impression on my chain. The chain is an SRAM PC10. I've wiped it down and checked all the pins, they all seem identical and there's no powerlink or similar (fortunately I do have one for the new chain).

I've watched a couple of videos on the internet and the pins just seem to come out fairly easily so I'm wondering whether I'm missing anything really obvious, or my chain tools are substandard - the one on my multi tool certainly doesn't look up to much, but the other one is at least entirely metal and fairly solid looking.

I've tried a number of different pins on the chain and tightened the tool to the point where I felt the point of the tool might be in danger of bending but no luck.

I would like to be able to remove the chain properly, but if all else fails I do have a hacksaw...

Any suggestions?
meic

Re: Possibly stupid question on breaking a chain

Post by meic »

Have you made sure that the point of the tool is lined up perfectly with the pin.
Otherwise it could be pushing on the plate as well, preventing it from working.

Apologies if this is obvious to you already.
Yma o Hyd
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

A hacksaw works fine. (I speak from experience.)

A chain tool has two slots for the chain. One is for pushing the pin out; the other is for pushing it in. If you put the chain in the wrong slot and try to push the pin out, you'll just press it against the backstop and break the tool. (Again, I speak from experience.)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

check again for a powerlink; this is the way SRAM chains are designed to be joined, and they usually supply a link with the chain.

if not, the hacksaw will be fine... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Orangey

Post by Orangey »

Thanks everyone, I'm going to claim a victory for brute force and ignorance :) I had one last go with the metal chain tool on the basis that if it broke it probably wasn't any good anyway. I managed to get the pin out "properly" but I also bent the side plate of the chain in the process so I'm glad that I'm not putting it back on again. There were two very definite clicks at the start and end of the pin where it was hardest to get it moving.

The tool always started off lined up with the pin, but the pins on this chain (and the replacement) are shaped such getting it to stay there was tricky. I can see why people use powerlinks with them. I guess at the factory they have better tools that can push these pins through without breaking anything - the chain I was taking off was the original that came with the bike.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Orangey wrote: I can see why people use powerlinks with them. I guess at the factory they have better tools that can push these pins through without breaking anything .

in the factory, the rivets are swaged over after the chain is assembled. Chains made thus are not designed to be rejoined by pushing standard rivets in and out.

Hence these chains are joined with 'special pins' or joining links; anything else is likely to weaken the chain.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

A picture paints a thousand words

Hope the following helps

Open chain rivet extractor
IMG_0001.JPG

then position chain in the jaws
IMG_0002.JPG

Screw in the extractor pin, quite a bit of resistance will be felt as you push the rivet out, once it's got throught the first plate it should go through quite easily.
IMG_0003.JPG

Rivet pops out the other side. :)
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

By the way, in some situations it is better not to push the pin out completely as it will be impossible (in my experience !) to put back in.

Have fun :D
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

IME any chain up to 8 speed will be fine using the " push out the pin method".
As Bruce rightly pointed out, some have rivets designed not to come out!

Shimano chains always used to need an oversize black rivet to re join the chain.
I don't know if this is still the case. I avoid using Shimano chains.
My bikes have Sachs or Kmc chains fitted.

Spare " quick links" are useful bits of kit to carry so you can rejoin a snapped chain
in an emergency. You need to match the link to the "speed" of chain ie an 8 speed chain
needs an 8 speed link.
Thank goodness for soup.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Orangey wrote: I managed to get the pin out "properly" but I also bent the side plate of the chain in the process .

It may well have been your chain tool at fault. My chain tool is identical to the one shown in the photos above and over 10 or 20 year period, had never had an issue with it (Either pushing pins in or out).

Until last year, when it became slightly corroded while in the bike mini saddlebag. The corrosion rubbed off with a cloth and appeared fairly irrelevant. But somehow it's altered the shape of the tools "pushing pin" to such an extent, that it now routinely ends up sliding to the side and pushing against the chains side plate while in use. Changing a 2 minute unthinking job, into a job requiring 5-8 minutes and considerable care.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

nice to see a workbench even more cr*p covered than mine
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Ugly wrote:nice to see a workbench even more cr*p covered than mine

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.