SPD pedal compendium

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: SPD pedal compendium

Post by Brucey »

I wasn't paying attention BITD, so I've never seen a set of these covers in the flesh; they didn't seem to appear on any EV techdoc, even back in 1994;

it does explain what the tapped hole is in the middle of the binding though; the covers are retained by a screw as well as the binding itself.

Interesting that they bother to refer to the (cheap) tool you don't need (or need just the once) for removing the cover, but they are keeping schtum about the bearing adjustment tool/palaver.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I reused the screw to secure the BB cable guide on a Cannondale, since it was the right thread. Years later, I couldn't remember why I always needed a special adaptor to undo it!

The adapter is on this EV: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://si. ... 0NXuWx4bIQ
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the tool appears on most PD-M323 EV techdocs, but weirdly the covers themselves do not.

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

This is the V-shaped notch on a pair of NOS M525 "DX" pedals mentioned upthread. Zero float with current SH51 cleats.

20210216_122524.jpg

Here's a picture with something black slid underneath to show the shape better. I wonder if it's the same as the "Type A" previously mentioned, but the curves at either side develop with wear? This new one is comprised of straight lines.

20210216_123837.jpg
Last edited by rogerzilla on 16 Feb 2021, 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I suppose it is possible that they made an unheralded change to the details of the binding in this model too, just as they did in PD-M747...?

Is there a date code on those pedals?

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I've uploaded an improved photo. I can't see a date code.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it looks like it is not a simple 'V', quite, either; it seems to have a joggle in each flank of the V...?

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Yes, it's three descending straight lines, then a flat bit in the middle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've just looked through my collection of old SPDs and I don't have NOS in this model but I do have a set that has seen so little use that there is still some black paint left on the four bumps surrounding the platform. These pedals are as close as you can get to NOS whilst still having seen any use at all, more or less. (like yours no visible date mark either BTW)

These pedals have front jaws with a distinct notch and rear jaws like the one you have shown. There is a distinct joggle in the flanks of the V, so presumably some kind of two-stage release...?

cheers
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Brucey wrote:....

I wasn't paying attention BITD, so I've never seen a set of these covers in the flesh; they didn't seem to appear on any EV techdoc, even back in 1994;
it does explain what the tapped hole is in the middle of the binding though; the covers are retained by a screw as well as the binding itself.
cheers

rogerzilla wrote:Its only purpose, as far as I know, is to remove the plastic protector that covers the binding mechanism on new M323 pedals.

Ah right!! I also wondered about the weird unused tapped screw hole on my PD-M323s. I had always assumed it was something used in the assembly of the pedals. Clearly not. I was buying Shimano pedals (clipped ones at that point!) when the PD-M323 was launched and I remember all the cheap combined shoe/pedal deals Shimano were offering to tempt people onto them, but I don't remember this "flat shoe" adaptor at all. No idea where you dredged that up from rogerzilla !!!????
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It travelled into the house the other day, having been trapped in one of the cavities in a TL-PD40!

On the subject of curiosities, aftermarket alloy lock bolts (or "collars" as they are sometimes called) were all the rage in the 90s to replace the standard black plastic ones. The ones for M737 and M525 are quite different. SRP is most common for the M737 but Allintex (based in the UK) made some nice ones for the M525. They are much better-machined than the SRP ones, which tend to be a little eccentric.

Allintex red lock bolts on M525:

20210217_203016.jpg

20210217_203003.jpg

Shimano's blingy gold lock bolts for the current MX30 miss the point a bit; they have a hex, which will usually be marked during removal with a spanner. The plastic TL-PD40 pastry cutter is much kinder to anodising.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've just updated the first post in this thread (for the 37th time, apparently... :shock: :shock: ) to include the latest/current models and latest information about LH threading on RH cones/locknuts etc.

FWIW it seems that click'r wasn't a big seller; the only click'r model remaining (from 16 current SPD pedals) is the PD-T421 model.

BTW PD-MX30 appears to be discontinued; whether spares for this model will remain available is yet to be seen. Blingy gold lockbolts currently exist in PD-M820 and PD-M828 'saint' models and these lockbolts use the PD-TL40 tool. I don't know what other pedals they fit. Also PD-GR500 (hex type, silver) and several other silver hex type ones too.

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The black anodised alloy hex ones on 105 SPD-SLs mark up quite easily, too. Ultegra and DA ones are silver, which is more sensible.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've just added approximate years of introduction to the chart at the start of the thread. It took ages, looking through shimano catalogues. I'm not sure it is 100% accurate, either; not only is the 1999 catalogue missing from those I can look at, but I'm sure I have paper techdocs with different dates on them, and likewise actual pedals with anomalous date marks on them too. It seems possible that some items were physically launched after the catalogue went to press, and appeared as 'new' in the catalogue a year after they actually went on sale. [For example PD-M540 EV techdoc is dated feb 03 but the pedal itself first appeared in 2004 catalogue.]

Also there are groupset anomalies; for some years shimano listed pedals within groupsets, rather than separately. This often meant the same pedal was part of several different groupsets. For example PD-M737 was part of the XT groupset at launch. However it was also listed as part of the XTR groupset in 1993 too (but oddly enough not XTR in 1992..). Later the PD-M959 pedal was clearly meant to be better than the 'XT' pedal and thus part of the XTR M9** groupset. But for some reason they didn't actually mark it 'XTR'. This meant that when PD-M970 was launched, they (more or less) claimed it was 'the first XTR pedal'. Well, kind of.... they were arguably wrong twice over.

Likewise calling PD-M525 'DX' seems a bit odd; Shimano didn't ever seem to do this. M5** parts were LX not DX (DX was M6** at the time) and in the catalogues the PD-M525 pedal seems only to be shown as part of the LX groupset, not the DX groupset.

PD-M505 seems never to have been listed in shimano's catalogues at all. Maybe it was only ever meant as an OEM pedal? If so there were an awful lot on retail sale!

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

amongst things SPD that passed me by at the time were these;

Bronze coloured PD-M540 pedals were available for a while.

cheers