SPD pedal compendium

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rogerzilla

Re: SPD pedal compendium

Post by rogerzilla »

The XT/DX labels for the M737/M525 were universal among MTBers of the time but the DX label was always unofficial (M737 was an actual XT groupset, DX was M650/MT60).

The Allintex lock bolts above came in a bag thus (bad eBay photo, sorry)

Screenshot_2021-02-20-06-56-37-170~2.jpeg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I don't remember calling PD-M525 pedals 'DX' BITD. If they had a common name, at a time when there was a choice of two offroad SPD pedals, they would have been called 'the cheaper ones' or something. Shimano certainly never called them 'DX' pedals. From the 1992 catalogue;

M737 SPD pedals in 1992 M7** XT groupset

1992 M6** DX groupset; no SPD pedals

1992 M5** Deore LX, including M525 SPD pedals
1992 M5** Deore LX, including M525 SPD pedals

They carried on including M525 pedals in the subsequent M5** LX groupsets until M535 SPDs were introduced, by which time there was of course no DX groupset for them to be omitted from.

The 1993 XTR groupset included PD-M737

should we call them "XTR pedals"..?... :wink: :lol:

ah, what's in a name anyway....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I think the names came about because the hierarchy at the time (pre-compact chainsets, when expensive bikes had 46/36/24 and cheap ones had 48/38/28) was XT, DX, LX. As there were only two types of SPD available, the second-best one got named for the second-best groupset by almost everyone except Shimano.

DX was more like an evolved touring groupset than a hardcore MTB one. The cantilever brakes, IIRC, were shared with XT. They are extremely good with the old 4-finger levers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

DX cantis were 'shared' with XT in the same way as LX ones were; similar design, different model number. DX was good stuff, but I never quite understood why it didn't include SPD pedals. After all it wasn't as if shimano wouldn't ever include the same pedals in two different groupsets at the same time, as the PD-M737 example shows.

LX was a bit of mixed bag at that time and the cost cutting shows in some LX parts in 1992; arguably PD-M525 were better quality and should have had a different number and been part of the DX groupset; it would have made more sense to me. Maybe they had planned to stop DX well ahead of time or something, and didn't want the pedals as a carry-over from an obsolete groupset?

Having said that, they did do the same thing in reverse; PD-6500 pedals were launched in 1994 and were about three years ahead of any other 6500 series parts.

All very odd.

BTW in 1992 all three groups XT, DX, LX were offered with the same four choices in chainring combinations;
1) 48-38-28 Biopace
2) 46-36-26 Biopace
3) 48-38-28 Round
4) 46-36-24 Round

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Ugh, Biopace!

I was thinking of cheaper mass-market bikes (LX still meant a proper raceable MTB), which almost always came with 48/38/28.

I remember having to choose between a Cannondale M1000 and a Kona Kilauea in 1993. The Kilauea was skinny steel and looked better but had Suntour XC of some description (Expert or Comp? not Pro). The Cannondale had Deore DX. I bought the Cannondale because in 1993 it was apparent Suntour was just about finished. I really wanted the Kilauea with Shimano kit, but they were all sold out. The DX was really good quality stuff but fairly heavy. I still use a pair of DX thumbshifters on one of my current bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one of my chums bought a 'clockwork' by orange in the early 1990s, in about the first year of SunTour Microdrive. I remember looking at it when it was only five years old and thinking it was a real 'time capsule' even then, so much had changed in the meantime. Back then I had no MTB racing pretensions and just used my MTB for training/fun so it too was a time capsule' also; steel frame and fork, and a collection of (mostly eclectic/modified) cycle parts and a 3x7 transmission (mostly late '80s kit) using inverted thumbshifters (so rear shifter on the left and front on the right). I used 170mm cranks on my mtb then because that way I didn't struggle with the change when I went back to the road bike.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if any one SPD model should have a claim to being 'DX' it is arguably PD-M636.

they even say 'DX' on them.... :wink:

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Yeah, they revived DX as a sort of freeride group years later.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in the 1997 catalogue (p35) it seems to be BMX slant. Bu marketing is one thing, sales are quite another.

cheers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The original M737 pedals don't have rubber lip seals like later pedals, so need a total grease fill. No seals are shown on the exploded view and I'd never seen them on pedals in the flesh.

However, I recently bought a NOS set of axle units to rejuvenate a cheap pair of M737s with knackered bearings, and these did come with seals (see photo). It looks as if Shimano did one of their undocumented product design changes when they recognised that water was killing M737s before they wore out (the bindings generally work perfectly, 30 years on).
20220412_133731.jpg
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've been running m525 SPD's since they first appeared. I made seals from an old inner tube. Fill up with grease every couple of years and I think they may be ok for a few more decades. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The Dura-Ace SPD-SLs are very vulnerable to water rotting out the inboard of the three (!) races but you can't fully pack them with grease in the normal SPD way, since there are 9 loose balls in the outboard race. They are unlike any other Shinano pedal.
atoz

Post by atoz »

I went over to SPDs 15 years back when I impulse bought my Tifosi CK7 audax bike (actually the LBS demo frame reduced due to a few paint chips off). Despite my club compadres claiming it would take me a while to get used to them, I took to them like a duck to water. So much for people telling me to get used to falling off at the lights lol. Didn't happen, and still hasn't (pause to touch wood). I rapidly then put SPDs on my other bikes and haven't looked back, for which my knees are eternally grateful. I use double sided pedals. Can't beat them, esp at the lights. Pretty sure they are the M520s.

I use Shimano MTB boots in winter. Very rarely use overshoes now. No probs with ankle movement but they are a tightish fit, size 43 for a British shoe size 8. You need to choose your socks (or hosiery) carefully. This with a Castelli Perfetto top, Megmeister winter base layer and Lusso winter bib tights, is a go to winter ride outfit. You can't beat modern winter kit...

Also the SPDs I use you can go shopping in, unlike the road types.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

M520 has become the standard entry-level pedal. They are very good for the price but, for what it's worth, I've always found M540s will run for years before they develop any bearing play, whereas M520s can get a bit wobbly in six months of commuting. It may be a random thing but it's possible the raceways are hardened better in the slightly more expensive pedals.
atoz

Post by atoz »

rogerzilla wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 10:14pm M520 has become the standard entry-level pedal. They are very good for the price but, for what it's worth, I've always found M540s will run for years before they develop any bearing play, whereas M520s can get a bit wobbly in six months of commuting. It may be a random thing but it's possible the raceways are hardened better in the slightly more expensive pedals.
Trouble is the M540s have no flats. In my experience it's better to have flats on pedals, as if they've been on the bike a while they can resist being taken off. It's easier having the spanner option with flats, more leverage. Recently took some old Lyotard pedals off that had been in SR cranks nearly 30 years (with the aid of cheap cola on the crank ends/pedal threads for around 45 mins soaking in). Even if you're diligent about greasing the threads properly, with some cranks you can have your work cut out removing the pedals later. Best are pedals that have both flats and Allen key option at end of axle. But a lot only have flats or Allen key. Give me flats every time.