Sidewall Cracking

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brunel

Sidewall Cracking

Postby Brunel » 19 Jul 2012, 4:46pm

Using Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x40 on the rear. I have noticed that the sidewall has a lot of cracks or small splits running round the entire circumference, same on both sides.

The tire still has lots of tread, approx. two years old, not used a lot.

Can I safely still use it, or is it fit for the bin?

Regards

IKB.....!!

gentlegreen

Re: Sidewall Cracking

Postby gentlegreen » 19 Jul 2012, 5:09pm

I had that problem with various kinds of tyre - until I bought a good pump and realised I'd been under-inflating for 20 years !

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 19 Jul 2012, 5:10pm

IIRC all Schwalbe tyres have nylon fabric in the carcass, rather than cotton of some other fabric. This makes them somewhat more resistant than some to carcass failure through rotting once the rubber starts to perish, but it is still a risk.

Most folk would reckon that a failed front tyre is more likely to cause an accident than a failed rear tyre, but if you (say) regularly corner in traffic at high speed then any additional risk of this sort may not be one you wish to take.

When I have had tyres fail, the tyre usually develops a bulge which I have noticed before it fails altogether, but I don't know if marathons tend to do this or not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

531colin

Postby 531colin » 19 Jul 2012, 6:11pm

Brunel wrote:Using Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x40 on the rear. I have noticed that the sidewall has a lot of cracks or small splits running round the entire circumference, same on both sides.

Regards

IKB.....!!

A photo would be good

Brunel

Postby Brunel » 19 Jul 2012, 6:38pm

Last edited by Brunel on 19 Jul 2012, 8:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 19 Jul 2012, 7:05pm

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 19 Jul 2012, 7:44pm

If I go to the URL that you used for the images,I get an invitation to log on to gmail.
It may be OK for you,but not for anyone else

shotaway

Postby shotaway » 19 Jul 2012, 8:36pm

well it don't look good but prob keep on trucking for a while but if it was a car or motorbike it would be a MOT fail or sure....
Ive got cracks in my tyres like that but no where as bad they where fine when i put the bike to sleep 2 winters ago i left it in the back of my van in the dark i think the cold winter nights may have done it..

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 19 Jul 2012, 8:41pm

Colin's URL worked fine for me;

you can post pictures directly by adding them to a post as an attachment but the maximum file size is restricted.

Alternatively post them on a photohosting website, and post each image's URL between the [img] tags generated by the forum controls.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

531colin

Postby 531colin » 19 Jul 2012, 9:07pm

I would be riding those tyres.
It looks to me the rubber in the sidewalls is a bit perished, but its the fabric that holds the tyre together.
As Brucey says, as long as there are no lumps and bumps on the tyre, I would ride it.

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 20 Jul 2012, 11:49am

Brunel wrote:Using Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x40 on the rear. I have noticed that the sidewall has a lot of cracks or small splits running round the entire circumference, same on both sides.

Regards

IKB.....!!

I had exactly that problem with the same tyre. The cracks eventually became a series of splits right around the side wall. I think it's something to do with the puncture protection layer being to stiff or something like that. I sent a picture of it on both tyres together with a letter to Schwalbe and they sent me two new tyres.

Brunel

Postby Brunel » 20 Jul 2012, 2:59pm

I sent a picture of it on both tyres together with a letter to Schwalbe and they sent me two new tyres.

Thanks for the advice, I will try this.

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 20 Jul 2012, 10:58pm

Brunel wrote:I sent a picture of it on both tyres together with a letter to Schwalbe and they sent me two new tyres.

Thanks for the advice, I will try this.

I think they must be aware of the problem. That was two-three years ago. I've been riding on the replacements ever since without a problem.

I originally took them back to the shop in Croydon where I bought them. They gave me short shrift saying I had been riding them underinflated. They lost a customer that day.

Also I meant an email not a letter. Still living in the past.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » 22 Jul 2012, 7:19pm

Yes you can ride but check it regulalry, like at the end of each ride. However after the failure of one of my wife panaracer which was in better contition than that tyre (massive blowout) than resulted in a avisit to hospital I no longer take any chances and the tyres in that consition get binned.

Brunel

Postby Brunel » 24 Jul 2012, 2:42pm

I have been contacted by Schwalbe, they wanted some details, pressure and weight carried, ( I am rather hefty!)

Awaiting further replies.