Wireless Computer Interference

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tandem Man

Wireless Computer Interference

Post by Tandem Man »

We have a wireless Shimano Flightdeck on the front of the tandem along with a B & M Oval Senso Plus headlight which uses an LED.

I have discovered that when the LED is lit the speed and distance readings of the Flightdeck don't function.Obviously there is some interference of the computer signal between the sensor on the front fork and the head unit caused by the LED.

I wondered if anyone else had had this problem and if they overcame it as it has me stumped at the minute or is it,as I suspect, something we will have to put up with.

Thanks.
julk

Post by julk »

I had similar interference between a Cateye CC-MC100W Micro wireless computer and a Solidlights 1203d headlamp.

I experimented with moving the items around and found that once the separation reached about 5 inches the interference stopped.
I ended up fitting an accessory bar to move one of them onto.

Hope this helps.
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Yes,since posting I have had a Google around ( should have done it first ) and it appears the magnets from the Schmidt hub are the problem.

I will do as you suggest and move the sensor further up the fork and see if this sorts it out.

Thanks.
julk

Post by julk »

What worked for me was moving the computer on the handlebars further away from the led headlamp and its wiring from the dynohub.

I never thought of moving the sensor up the forks.
rower40

Radio Interference

Post by rower40 »

On my dearly-departed Velocita, I had a cordless Cateye speedo fitted right next to a Garmin GPS.

Each worked on its own, but as soon as the other was there, they both went on strike. So although GPS is a radio receiver, it transmits a low-level (very-short-range) signal that is just enough to fool the Cateye.

Just moving the GPS away (more than 3-6 inches) from the Cateye caused both to work. But with handlebars under the seat, the 'normal' place for kit like this just doesn't work, so there wasn't much space for gadgetry.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

It now turns out ( after a further bit of Googling and an e-mail to Busch & Muller ) that the problem is the LED headlight which is known ( to all but me ) to cause inteference with computers.

This is what B & M had to say:-

"The reason for the disturbance of the wireless computer is the pulsing of the LED of the head light together with the very large spectrum of frequency of many computers. Unfortunately there is no other possibility than to have a great distance between both instruments or to use a wired computer."

So now we know