Touring wheels - advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
donnieban

Touring wheels - advice please

Post by donnieban »

Hi,

Looking for some before purchase advice on a new set of touring wheels as part of my preparation for my unsupported LEJOG.

Given its going to be a loaded (4 pannier tour) what wheel set should I go for? 700c wheels and 32 tyres and standard 135 OLN.

Options via Spa - LX hubs with Rigida Grizzly or Sputnik rims:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=2235

or Rosebikes:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb- ... aid:336356

The Rosebikes option is about half the price at £92.00 inc delivery...

Buy British, if so Sputnik or Grizzly? Or save the price of a Tubus Tara front rack and order from Germany?

(I'm not a total mercenary as my drivetrain upgrade was sourced thru Spa).

Help!
al_yrpal

Re: Touring wheels - advice please

Post by al_yrpal »

I went for the Grizzly option from Spa, didn't consider Rosebikes. Very happy.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the world is an odd place; Rosebikes give you a discount on the parts if you buy complete wheels. This means they attribute a negative value to their wheelbuilding labour. Or something... :shock:

This does make me wonder how good the build is.

What I do know is that the spoke breakage warranty is effectively worthless, unless you break a spoke at home, and you happen to live next to Rosebikes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Brucey,

Flip, hadn't expected a response from the boss. But sincerely appreciated, your pushing me towards where my head has directed me before...Do the right thing Donnie, believe...

So fair does, Sputnik or Grizzly? now you have lost me a Tara lowrider rack....feel free to direct me...
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Hi Al,

Respectfully, you aren't known for travelling light so could you please explain your robust wheel touring choice?

Cheers

donnieban
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I wanted really good wheels having suffered serial breaking spokes in the middle of nowhere. I just went by the recommendation of 531Colin who worked at Spa at the time. He recommended the Grizzlys and the LX hubs so that was good enough for me. After all he's the expert. Seemed a pretty good price for hand built wheels. I did get a Shimano dynohub built in to the front one and I purchased that dynohub from Rosebikes. Although my tourer has discs the Grizzlys are for rim brakes so if I change at some time in the future they are still suitable. My bike is only 14.5kg and the maximum load is only 15kg and me at 14 stone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Hi Al,

Nothing but respect for any wisdom issued from Colin 531. Flip, still end up spending. Fair does, long term investment wise....

Guess I was aware where this was heading long before now....!
Big T

Post by Big T »

If you look at the Rosebike wheels they don't seem to be in stock. FWIW I bought a new back wheel from Spa - Deore on Sputnik and have no complaints. Had it about a year and it's not needed any attention at all.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
thecycleclinic

Post by thecycleclinic »

Sputnik and LX hubs built by who ever you choose.
zaccy

Post by zaccy »

Last edited by zaccy on 14 Sep 2012, 3:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

zaccy wrote:To be candid it does not really matter, most bikes and their wheels these days are easily capable of just 1,000 miles, even the cheapest ones. Puncture proof tyres are what make the journey more pleasant.

That would've been very useful information for me on a tour I did about five years ago when at least half the spokes on the back wheel of a new MTB I was touring on broke within the first 500 miles. Had I know what you know, I would've been fine!! The bike wasn't cheap either.
I rebuilt it with different spokes when I went home and it's been fine since (wheelbuilding is a hobby of mine).

P.S. This is the offending bike... It died when I was hit by a car. I scrapped it because it had taken a helluva bang even though no visible damage was seen. The rear wheel still lives.
It's a Trek 6500

chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Hi. If it is a long term, high mileage set you are looking for then please consider Terry Rowland.

I bought a bike with them already fitted and have been sooooooo impressed (and Ive had a load of bikes and cycle a long way each year)

They are incredibly well made, solid and smooth.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

chocjohn9 wrote:Hi. If it is a long term, high mileage set you are looking for then please consider Terry Rowland.

I bought a bike with them already fitted and have been sooooooo impressed (and Ive had a load of bikes and cycle a long way each year)

They are incredibly well made, solid and smooth.

Where would I get wheels by this chap?
meic

Post by meic »

Big T wrote:If you look at the Rosebike wheels they don't seem to be in stock. FWIW I bought a new back wheel from Spa - Deore on Sputnik and have no complaints. Had it about a year and it's not needed any attention at all.

If you order one of the Rose wheels which is "not in stock" they just make it up for you and post it out a few days later.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gearoidmuar wrote: ....at least half the spokes on the back wheel of a new MTB I was touring on broke within the first 500 miles.

this isn't that unusual. This is exactly why good handbuilt wheels still exist.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~