Touring wheels - advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

Re: Touring wheels - advice please

Post by mig »

chocjohn9 wrote:Hi. If it is a long term, high mileage set you are looking for then please consider Terry Rowland.

I bought a bike with them already fitted and have been sooooooo impressed (and Ive had a load of bikes and cycle a long way each year)

They are incredibly well made, solid and smooth.

harry rowland i think you mean?
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Any idea how much he would charge for a set of touring wheels? Just a rough ball park would do :)
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Brucey wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote: ....at least half the spokes on the back wheel of a new MTB I was touring on broke within the first 500 miles.

this isn't that unusual. This is exactly why good handbuilt wheels still exist.

cheers

I know. I was debunking the pronouncement of the previous poster!
I've built or rebuilt MOST of the wheels I've used for more than 25 years as I'm big and tend to be about 15st or more. 14.10 at the moment.
mig

Post by mig »

is 'weight' the most destructive force on a wheel though?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

mig wrote:is 'weight' the most destructive force on a wheel though?

Yes.

Or more completely.......
Spoke fatigue is caused by the wheel rotating under the load....the 4 or so spokes at the bottom slacken each revolution, and fatigue (generally at the elbow).
So if spoke fatigue is killing your wheels, load is the culprit.... properly specified and built (stress relieved) wheels can withstand quite surprising loads.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49702&hilit=spokes&start=30
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

All this talk of spoke fatigue etc has given me the fear. I think I'll just get some built by Harry afer a discussion with what my requirements are, with his advice and experience thrown in I think it'll be well worth the money
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
Brucey wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote: ....at least half the spokes on the back wheel of a new MTB I was touring on broke within the first 500 miles.

this isn't that unusual. This is exactly why good handbuilt wheels still exist.

cheers

I know. I was debunking the pronouncement of the previous poster!
I've built or rebuilt MOST of the wheels I've used for more than 25 years as I'm big and tend to be about 15st or more. 14.10 at the moment.

I thought so.... the thing is, if somone had told me that, 30 years ago or whenever, I mightn't have believed them. I needed to find out for myself maybe... come to think of it I even needed to remind myself again. Statistically most of the non-handbuilt wheels I have ever used have broken spokes or have been otherwise troublesome.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big T

Post by Big T »

meic wrote:
Big T wrote:If you look at the Rosebike wheels they don't seem to be in stock. FWIW I bought a new back wheel from Spa - Deore on Sputnik and have no complaints. Had it about a year and it's not needed any attention at all.

If you order one of the Rose wheels which is "not in stock" they just make it up for you and post it out a few days later.

Thanks. I was looking at getting some CXP33's on Tiagra or 105's and they are shown as not in stock either.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Can I just say that I am actually quite shocked at how cheap a decent set of hand built touring wheels cost. I was expecting to have to pay in the region of £200 plus.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Brucey wrote:the world is an odd place; Rosebikes give you a discount on the parts if you buy complete wheels. This means they attribute a negative value to their wheelbuilding labour. Or something... :shock:

This does make me wonder how good the build is.

I have a couple of sets of rose wheels, They are farmed out to another firm to build, but the quality is very good, Ive had no spoke breakages or retrueing to do. They are built when ordered and not before.

If you dont buy there packages they do charge £15 for the building, So if you want something different to the offer, it becomes a non standard build and they add the £15 pound. This can be as simple as asking for a different tyre if the tyre is included. it is no different to other packages offered in different walks of life.
NUKe

Post by donnieban »

Time for an update following advice from Shetland. Wheels and rims going to be tailor built. Ordered this morning, delivery expected later this week.

Payment -"just put a cheque in the post when you get a chance".

Where = Big Al at Wheelcraft.

£150 plus £15.00 postage split with another Skye customer. Small world.

No relationship or allegiance.

Big Al hand-builds wheels to the tiniest of margins (typically less than a 'baw hair', or 0.5mm to folks from outside of Scotland) and always combines the best components for the job.

Now what would your wheel build choice be with 105 hubs at this price?

Watch this space....
531colin

Post by 531colin »

105 hubs are 130mm OLN (over locknuts)
You started this discussion talking about LX, which are 135mm OLN

What width is your frame?
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Hi Colin,

You just spoilt my night...

The Trek is def 135. An early morning phone call to make....

Obliged and now feel a t..t
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Update no.2.

My 520 touring frame spacing is 135mm OLN. The 105 hubs are as previously mentioned by 531Colin 130mm OLN. The 105 hubs become compatible by axle spacing. Spokes are 13/ 14g and the rims are Ambrosia Keba. The wheel build is intended to accommodate a 13.5 stone rider with loaded camping kit based to a two and a half week tour.

Would be happy for any comments from wiser forum members as the spec doesn't mean that much to me other than knowing the rims are v. strong and the spokes are tandem tested.

Cheers