Thicker handlebar tape - a cheap quick fix

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
steady eddy

Thicker handlebar tape - a cheap quick fix

Post by steady eddy »

Searching around for a way to thicken my handlebar tape without putting another layer on top I spied some thin foam packaging material which had come wrapped around a book in the post. I have cut this in to long strips about the same width as tape and wound two layers around the bars and retaped them.It is slightly stretchy and goes on very well. I now have thicker slightly squashier grips. A very satisfactory and free solution.
531colin

Re: Thicker handlebar tape - a cheap quick fix

Post by 531colin »

"Cyclists riding with thick padded gloves and thick padding on their handlebars is a curious solution to poor frame design."

Tony Oliver wrote something like that in his book in the late eighties. How much we have learned! :wink:
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

In the "old days" when I were a nipper, we used to wrap old ladies stockings (this is, old stockings formerly beloning to a lady, not stockings formerly beloning to an old lady) around the handlebars as padding before putting on the, what was then, cloth tape. Very effective.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote:"Cyclists riding with thick padded gloves and thick padding on their handlebars is a curious solution to poor frame design."

Tony Oliver wrote something like that in his book in the late eighties. How much we have learned! :wink:

My first 'proper lightweight' frameset was a Witcomb, which had (I much later realised) exceptionally springy forks. For years it never occurred to me you might want to have any kind of padding on the handlebars, even when I was running tubs pumped up to 100psi or more; it was comfy enough as it was.

Many modern frames, especially anything with disc brakes, have unpleasantly stiff forks IMHO. For the road, (except perhaps for racing and urban commuting), I have concluded that I am prepared to trade braking force for improved ride quality if I have to.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

[quote="The Mechanic"]not stockings formerly beloning to an old ladyquote]

There's no shame in likign the older woman :wink:

Wish I'd seen this post yesterday, just wrapped my bars!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

1" wide cotton webbing tape and a tube of Bostik from Woolies.
james01

Post by james01 »

Someone on this forum suggested using old inner tubing underneath the bar tape.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Silicone sealant :wink:
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Its relief for tennis elbow which I am seeking with a bigger diameter grip rather than solving a vibration issue. The extra sponginess is a bonus on the rough old tracks which pass for roads in parts of Norfolk.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

steady eddy wrote:Its relief for tennis elbow which I am seeking with a bigger diameter grip....................

OK, thats a new one on me. Will you let us know how you get on?
There is already stuff on here about Carpal Tunnell syndrome, and Ulnar nerve compression.