Wheel truing - How much wobble is acceptable?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
OrmRich

Wheel truing - How much wobble is acceptable?

Post by OrmRich »

On my road bike with 700 25C wheels if I spin the wheels I cannot detect any wobble in the front but the rear rim wobbles by about 1-2 mm. Is this acceptable or should I get it trued? It rides fine and there are no slack spokes.
Cheers.
Ayesha

Re: Wheel truing - How much wobble is acceptable?

Post by Ayesha »

The brake lever should move about 1/4" until the blocks are locked onto the rim. The brake stirup should operate symetrically.

If this is true, the rim shouldn't rub the blocks with the brake released.

Although, if you feel unhappy there is a wavering of the rim, get it trued.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Ayesha wrote:The brake lever should move about 1/4" until the blocks are locked onto the rim.

Lever movement is a matter of personal taste, and 1/4" is measured where? Other than that I'd agree will everything else.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Ayesha wrote:The brake lever should move about 1/4" until the blocks are locked onto the rim. ........................

Set the brakes so they "bite" with the levers at the position you like them......in my case, thats about halfway through their travel....I always brake from the hoods, and its more comfortable and easier for me to modulate with the levers there than further out.

OrmRich wrote:................ It rides fine and there are no slack spokes..........

Doesn't sound like a problem, really. Traditionally built wheels with 32 or 36 spokes are dead easy to true yourself, I have less experience with wheels with few spokes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would true my own wheels if they were this far out and the brakes were in danger of rubbing.

But if the brakes were not rubbing and I had to pay someone else to do it, I probably wouldn't bother just yet.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

531colin wrote:
Ayesha wrote:The brake lever should move about 1/4" until the blocks are locked onto the rim. ........................

Set the brakes so they "bite" with the levers at the position you like them......in my case, thats about halfway through their travel....I always brake from the hoods, and its more comfortable and easier for me to modulate with the levers there than further out.

OrmRich wrote:................ It rides fine and there are no slack spokes..........

Doesn't sound like a problem, really. Traditionally built wheels with 32 or 36 spokes are dead easy to true yourself, I have less experience with wheels with few spokes.

Yeh, its personal taste.

I prefer the blocks to start gripping the rim sooner rather than later.
BigG

Post by BigG »

1 mm wobble is certainly acceptable (to me, anyway) but 2 mm is marginal. This requires at least a 3 mm brake block clearance to allow for the inevitable flexibility in the bike structure and could make setting the brakes up to full efficiency more difficult. Try it. If it causes problems, true the wheel. if not, carry on using it as it is.
destry

Post by destry »

I would pluck the spokes in the vicinity of the wobble and see if one is looser than the others (bearing in mind that drive-side spokes will all be tighter than non-drive side). If there's a plunk in amongst the plinks, then it's an easy fix for the price of a spoke key.

I agree with others that on balance, 1mm is fine, 2mm should be corrected at some point, and 3mm or over wants doing soon.
OrmRich

Post by OrmRich »

Thanks for all you help folks; I'm reassured.
spanner

Post by spanner »

Check whether the cones need tightened slightly as this can give a false impression that the wheel is out of true also have you clipped a pothole recently? this could have put a slight twist in the wheel spindle and again this can give the wheel the appearance of being out of true a quick way to check this is attach the chuck of a cordless drill and spin the spindle with the drill this will show if its twisted or not another false out of true impression is a cracked bearing in the hub this causes the spindle to ride up over the broken bearing
check these things out before retruing the wheel an easy way if you have a repair stand is put the bike on the stand and spin the wheel slowly where the wheel catches on the brake block tighten the spoke or spokes on the opposite side and continue doing this until its running between the blocks without catching
if you want to learn wheel building can i suggest the wheel building dvd sold by Bike Inn it shows how to build a mtb rear wheel but the principle is the same for all other wheels here is a link to the page on their website
http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/training_videos.asp
they also do wheel building courses as well as bike mechanic courses for which you get a C&G certificate
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

City & Guilds acceptable tolerance is 1mm - which looks huge with a rim in a wheel jig!
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've built my own wheels when necessary for more than 20 years and what I've found (and others have found) is that if the spokes all have exactly the same note when tapped (on the same side in the rear wheel), the wheel is rarely perfectly true, but you should aim for them all to be within a tone (Doh Ray). If you allow this leeway, then it's easy.
Other tip, don't make big adjustment to any spoke unless it's obviously loose. Slight adjustment to several spokes is better.