replacing SA K type threaded drivers with later AW

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
chambo3413

replacing SA K type threaded drivers with later AW

Post by chambo3413 »

Does anyone know how involved it is to replace the threaded driver on early Sturmey type hubs.........I have a K32( 1932) that the sprocket is junk, given that they are difficult and expensive-ish to source can I install a 3 spline 'standard' driver from a later 3 speed?
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was/is an easy job???
information on cycling in and around Chesterfield during the 1930's -1970's wanted
Brucey

Re: replacing SA K type threaded drivers with later AW

Post by Brucey »

not sure about 'K's per se but I have replaced a Hercules threaded driver with an AW one.

IIRC the K was rather different inside and had a no 'neutral' position vs the AW.

BTW check the screw thread carefully on the 'K' driver; you may find it is the same as the one used on fixed gear sprockets to this day, in which case sourcing something that fits isn't a big problem.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robc02

Re: replacing SA K type threaded drivers with later AW

Post by robc02 »

There are six prongs on the K series driver so the AW type will not fit in its place. However, assuming you have a threaded sprocket, it can be replaced with a modern fixed one as the threads are the same. To get the old sprocket off you will need to remove the driver and fit it over the edge of a piece of steel plate (approx 5 - 6mm thick) held in a vice. The sprocket can then be removed with a chain wrench.