Raleigh tourer rear brake hanger adjuster

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rich100

Raleigh tourer rear brake hanger adjuster

Postby rich100 » 20 Sep 2012, 10:38pm

Does anyone know where I can get one of these brake adjusters for an 80's Raleigh frame:

Capture.JPG

It's a very narrow hole, and not a stop so can't just poke the cable outer in. A stepped ferule might do it but would like an adjuster for the canti's

Thanks

Brucey

Re: Raleigh tourer rear brake hanger adjuster

Postby Brucey » 20 Sep 2012, 10:43pm

were these adjusters M5 threaded? If so a barrel adjuster from a gear cable (plus a suitable nut) might work as these are M5 threaded too. Only problem is that not all brake outer housing will fit easily into a gear adjuster, but you will have to have a go and see I expect.

I think the barrel adjuster from a late 80's SunTour rear mech would work well; these have enough meat to them that they can be enlarged where the cable goes in if required IIRC.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

robgul

Postby robgul » 21 Sep 2012, 8:06am

I think you'll find that the adjuster from any old side-pull brake will fit & work - I have a large box of brake bits from old bikes I've take to bits or upgraded that includes (I'm pretty sure) loads of these - PM with an address and I'll bung 1 in the post

Rob

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 21 Sep 2012, 10:17am

robgul wrote:I think you'll find that the adjuster from any old side-pull brake will fit & work

I'm pretty sure it won't; I have owned several bikes with this exact bridge in the past and it did use a smaller than normal barrel adjuster. An M6 threaded one certainly will not work in this fitting. I fortunately never had to replace one so I don't know what thread they were exactly, but it was small. IIRC the frame fitting is plain drilled, not tapped, so anything that goes in the hole and will take a brake cable is good enough, anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rich100

Postby rich100 » 21 Sep 2012, 11:36am

So far I've tried a barrel adjuster from a rear mech and also one from a side pull weinmann brake, both were too large unfortunately. Many thanks for the offer though Rob.

It's been resprayed but doesn't look like too much paint in there or anything, the old one is lost now.

I can get the step down gear cable ferrules, I used one on another bike for the chain stay cable stop, this might work but it gives me no adjuster, although I could perhaps use an inline one along the cable somewhere.

meic

Postby meic » 21 Sep 2012, 11:42am

Mine has a stepped ferule which was almost certainly fitted at the factory in Nottingham (and I shall be careful not to lose it). The ferule is quite loose in the frame stop with possibly a millimetre of space beside it if pushed to one side.

My adjustment is on the brake levers as it is a different model bike but with the same bridge.
Yma o Hyd

rich100

Postby rich100 » 21 Sep 2012, 7:54pm

Been to the LBS and got a stepped ferule for brakes, remembered that the sissy levers on the bar flats have adjusters in them, so should be adequate.