rimd and tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
malverncyclist

rimd and tyres

Post by malverncyclist »

I don't get it and need some help. Having decided to keep my Cube Hooper I am looking to replace the tyres. Factory fitted Marathon supremes 35mm tyres on Alexrims n24 rims. I want something narrower, can I go below on these rims? I looked on Sheldon Brown's site but don't understand the techi lingo there. Can someone translate for me please.

thanks

Martin
meic

Re: rimd and tyres

Post by meic »

The rim is 19mm internal dimension.

http://www.alexrims.com/default.asp

Which allows 28mm to 62mm tyres according to Schwalbe (page 7)

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/_webedit/uplo ... 20Info.pdf
Yma o Hyd
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

ah, thanks for that.

Martin
malverncyclist

Re: rim and tyres - continued

Post by malverncyclist »

so the question now is, which tyre. I commute 20+ miles each day throughout the year and may want to use the bike (Cube Hooper) next year on a long ride (800 miles) to Germany. Combination of puncture resistance and low rolling resistance and weight.

Schwalbe Marathons? The plus version seems a pain to get on and off according to friends, so not sure I want those. Also probably go for 32 size rather than 28 (which would look weird on the fork which is about 3" wide).

Martin
mig

Re: rim and tyres - continued

Post by mig »

malverncyclist wrote:so the question now is, which tyre. I commute 20+ miles each day throughout the year and may want to use the bike (Cube Hooper) next year on a long ride (800 miles) to Germany. Combination of puncture resistance and low rolling resistance and weight.

Schwalbe Marathons? The plus version seems a pain to get on and off according to friends, so not sure I want those. Also probably go for 32 size rather than 28 (which would look weird on the fork which is about 3" wide).

Martin

you could do far worse! never had a problem with mine. HS308 version. admittedly these seem to be sold out now but 'supremes' get get reviews too.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

malverncyclist wrote:so the question now is, which tyre. I commute 20+ miles each day throughout the year and may want to use the bike (Cube Hooper) next year on a long ride (800 miles) to Germany. Combination of puncture resistance and low rolling resistance and weight.

Martin
What motivates you to reduce the tyre width? Because your wide rims won't aid a narrower tyre. You've spec'd 32mm as the preffered width, which won't make much difference from 35mm, esp as that is 440g and the 32mm marathon must be c550g

Why the change, is what I would ask? Even if the M+ version was easy to fit, would you actaually want it (with it's harsh ride and added weight)?

I think that there are plenty of light weight Marathons in wide width that would suit your bike (rim width) better than some narrow 28mm racing style tyre. Narrow tyre on wide rim = harsh ride - IMO.
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

Ultimately I want lower weight (as the bike with its Alfine hub is already a tad heavier than it would be with a derailleur). That would then translate into less effort which in return would lead to either a bit more 'easy' speed or just ... less work to do.

Martin
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Not much beats 35mm Marathon Supremes you have now for easy rolling.