repairing sturmey indicator chain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cdtb

repairing sturmey indicator chain?

Post by cdtb »

Hi, I have been looking for a Sturmey 3 speed AM indicator rod and chain for a 1950 model, and have two questions.
a) I have found a potential replacement L sided indicator rod and R sided chain, but the rivetted R sided chain is broken. Has anybody repaired the rivetted chain, and if so, how?
b) Why and how, did the the late 30s AM model use only the R sided toggle chain, omitting the L sided indicator rod?
If I can't find a replacement, or repair my damaged R sided chain, is it possible to convert my 1950 hub to single R sided chain usage, and therefore use the AW toggle chain that seems to have been used on the original 1930s AM model.
Many thanks for your help.
simonineaston

Re: repairing sturmey indicator chain?

Post by simonineaston »

Hi, I can't answer your question, but would like to encourage you to try to fix your indicator! I have a couple of broken indicators - one with a broken chain, another broken in 2, with the very thin threaded portion of the left side half now permanently inserted into the otherwise perfectly OK right side half...
I have often gazed at these 2 sad cases and thought to myself, 'Well OK - I'm not going to be able to do anything about the snapped version, but I wish I could think of a way to mend the one with the broken chain!'.
I have visions of settling down to work with tiny drills, and tiny anvil and an equally tiny hammer.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Silver solder a whole new chain onto the end of the rod?
Fiddly, but I reckon its possible.....better than trying to mend the chain where it needs to either bend round the axle nut, or fit into the axle....?
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I know that indicator chains can be repaired. Try Oldbiketrader for parts, or ask him to do the repair for you.

As far as I know you can use a single ended indicator - as per AW. You need to replace the axle key with the threaded type used in AWs.

EDIT: Let us know how you get on!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Where has it broken?
If it's mid-chain, take off the complete broken link. You can do this by filing off the rivet heads and knocking out with a thin punch.

You will then have the chain in two halves. With wire, it's possible to join the chain up. Although it's a chain, it doesn't carry any weight so the wire won't part. Pass it through the holes and twist the ends together. You don't need to worry about the pitch as the chain length is adjustable of course.

Try that on a bike chain and you'll be sorely disappointed, but it works fine on the toggle chain of a SA.
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

robc02 wrote:As far as I know you can use a single ended indicator - as per AW. You need to replace the axle key with the threaded type used in AWs.

you definitely can do that - i have. i also changed the threaded driver for a 3-splined one whilst i was at it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AW toggle conversion is best in the long run, but if you decide to re- rivet a chain, I would suggest drilling out to 2mm (~5/64") and using a short length of old 14g spoke as a rivet. A little work with a tiny hammer and all will be fine and dandy again.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
stanron

Post by stanron »

I had a broken chain for an FW hub. I replaced the missing rivet with a panel pin cut slightly long and cold hammered the end over. I've been riding it like that for years.
cdtb

Post by cdtb »

thanks all for the helpful advice. It seems the best solution is to change the axle key and use an AW chain. However, I had a go at repairing the toggle chain too. The rivets used to link together an AW chain have quite a lot of metal hammered flat to create each link of the chain. By judiciously filing off a bit of the metal and forcing the link apart with a very small screw driver, it proved possible to break apart an AW toggle chain, whilst retaining a sufficent amount of metal in the rivet pin itself to re-use the pin. Using this rivet pin to link the distal end of the AW chain, to the broken end of the AM indicator chain, it was possible to then hammer flat the remaining metal in the pin to unify the two ends and secure a single complete chain. It seems strong emough if I pull the opposite ends.......now to try it out! Many thanks.
cdtb

Post by cdtb »

......further to robc02's suggestion, I emailed 'Oldbiketrader' and this was the reply

'You have two options, you send the indicator to me and I will fit a new chain
cost £7, or you can purchase a toggle chain repair kit, HSS014 for £15 which contains, 3 new old stock SA Toggle chains, a pack of rivets & removal punch with instructions. Please make cheque payable to Derek Folgate, 96 Upton Road, Bexleyheathe, Kent, DA6 8LT'