New Wheels

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Oracle wrote:Just been fortunate enough to watch TDF on Eurosport and saw the coverage of a T Mobile rider hitting a dog (Labrador)

it's here, if anyone missed it

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c0dzMp61G5w

once the rim goes laterally over the flange, it's curtains for the whole lot.
does the rider get a time allowance for what he lost, or is it just an act of dog? 8)
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

Thanks for that! My goodness!

Doesn't look to me like he turned the wheel....just went straight into it.

From that clip it looks like he was going quite slowly, but that may not be real-time speed.

They don't make 'em like they used to do they??
(or like Mick still does... :-) ).
PW

Post by PW »

Yep he turns the bars to the right at the last second. That's the same speed I recall seeing on telly last night - ie slow!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

U-tube seemed to have different versions of that clip....I later watched one with a German commentary, and it started with a clip of them going at full speed, and they were really moving.

I think the actual collision sequence must have been slowed down so we could see what was going on, which might explain why the wheel caved in (cost they were going much faster than it looked) and why he didn't simply take avoiding action (as the guy on the left managed to).

It doesn't explain why the dog seemed unharmed.....just puzzled!

Regards,
M.
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

..because it was a fat labrador and they are like tanks, one ran out in front of my Dad's Honda and got up and ran away leaving a dog shaped dent in the front or the car.
The dog was fine thankfully as my Dad stopped and went knocking on doors to find out where the dog lived.
CJ

Post by CJ »

AlbionLass wrote:..'Nobody tosses a dwarf!'

... or a fat labrador apparently!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
pigman

Post by pigman »

montmorency wrote:It doesn't explain why the dog seemed unharmed.....just puzzled!

probably cos the wheel acted as a sort of crumple zone.
By the way I'd heard that they weren't racing, that was on monday's rest day. Even the pros can't stay off the bike on their days off - me, I'd have had a few beers in a mountain-top bar.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Actually, I'm more interested in the rear wheel we saw a rider throw away in disgust with a broken spoke the other day. If I could remember the rider's name or team I'd go look up who supplies their wheels, for future reference.

Given that professional riders in the Tour get brand new wheels, and that spokes, when they fail, fail by metal fatigue, which is a mileage dependent phenomenon, this simply should never happen in the TDF. If it does happen, it means that wheel must be completely useless for anyone hoping to get reasonable service from the parts of their bike.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlbionLass wrote:..because it was a fat labrador and they are like tanks, one ran out in front of my Dad's Honda and got up and ran away leaving a dog shaped dent in the front or the car.
The dog was fine thankfully as my Dad stopped and went knocking on doors to find out where the dog lived.

Now don't laugh, but in my misspent youth for a short while(inbetween motorbikes)I owned Relient threewheeler (like Delboy's) anyway i had the misfortune(or should that be hitfortune) to collide with a Great Dane(not Rasmussen) dog at about 20mph,the tricycle stopped dead,the dog looked at me indignantely over the bonnet and just walked off. :?