Audax/light touring groupset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycleruk

Re: Audax/light touring groupset

Post by cycleruk »

Bogawski wrote:Thanks All,
I am pretty much convinced now and will go for the 24t, nice looking bikes Cycleruk!

I would check that the front derailleur is upto the job of jumping the chain from the 24T to 40t middle ring.
I have tried to find the spec's for the triples but no luck yet.

Edit: Small ring BCD is 74mm and is in here:-
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... 202011.pdf

page 33.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cycleruk wrote:
Bogawski wrote:Thanks All,
I am pretty much convinced now and will go for the 24t, nice looking bikes Cycleruk!

I would check that the front derailleur is upto the job of jumping the chain from the 24T to 40t middle ring.
I have tried to find the spec's for the triples but no luck yet.

you are quite right; however since the original fitment could have been a 30-something-52 IIRC then a 28-something-50 should work OK. If the minimum clearance between the chain the bottom of the front mech is ~10-12mm then a 24T inner ring should work, but if it is less, you may have to compromise with a 26T or something.

Note that you will normally run out of front mech clearance in the small-small gear combination, which is not one that should be used in any event. I am happy to be denied a few gears I never use anyway, if it means an extended range without having to buy a load of new parts BTW.

Campag have a new triple chianset out for 2013 but they appear to have made it differently, so that 30T is genuinely the smallest ring that will fit, rather than the smallest ring they supply, which was the case with the older triples.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Thanks again, I am going to print these replies off and take them with me to the bike shop.
Cheers.
BigG

Post by BigG »

The 16 tooth jump from 24 to 40 should not be a problem with friction levers. I use up to a 22 tooth jump (20/42) without problems. The shift up from the small to the middle chainring with its simultaneous drop of 2 or 3 sprockets at the rear is always the most difficult shift in the range and with a big tooth difference a small overshoot may be required. This will depend on the design of the front mech inner plate and the ramps and pins (I have none) on the middle ring. Using Suntour Command shifters or downtube levers on Kelly take-offs it is the only change in which I actually remove my (left) hand from the bars in order to get a clean change and trim action in one movement.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Thanks Big G, coincidence we joined the forum on the same day!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Fitted a Shimano 12-30 10 speed cassette today, paired with a 105 long arm rear derailleur, works fine as expected.
This is matched to 50/39/30 chainset, so now a 1 to 1 ratio transmission. (27")?
The chainset has a 74mm BCD small ring so I can also drop this to 28,26 or 24T later if I want to assuming the FD will cope.

One of the noticeable things is the weight difference between tyres.
I got a used pair of wheels which had tyres already on. Immediately could tell the difference in the weight between similar wheels but different tyres.
(It was one of these wheels that I fitted the new cassette on, mainly as a spare for winter use.)
meic

Post by meic »

Is that one of the old 105's which is not supposed to take 30t rear cassettes or one of the new models which is supposed (though only with compact doubles) to take a 30t rear cassette?
Yma o Hyd
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

Have read all contributions above and much info elsewhere. Decided to base my build on the Thorn Audax Mk3 600 frame which arrived today. The geometry as discussed above seems right and, as others have reported the weld quality is great, it will allow me to use a 135 rear hub and although hoping not to use the 100 day money back guarantee it does provide a good fallback. This is my first full build so have listed the components below and if anyone spots any incompatabilities I'd be grateful for comments. Everyones choice is of course very personal and I'm sure many would not choose as I have done. Some things I have chosen in part because I have no experience of them and want to try them out (eg 2 piece crankset, carbon fork, the Shimergo combo of shifters/rear mech for which I hope I have read CJs table correctly)) - I can always rebuild if I don't like them! Most have/will be bought new online but the crankset I already had having got on ebay - it will need a new middle ring before long. Overall comes within my 1.2K budget so happy with that. Happy Christmas to all.

Supp;ier Price Estimate
Thorn Audax Mk 3 frame SJS £440.31
Cannondale Ultraslice carbon fork SJS £59.99
Cinelli Vai alloy bars 44cm SJS £25.99
Bar tape £10.00
Cinelli Vai alloy stem 120mm 17deg SJS £20.42
Front Hub Shimano Deore silver CRC £13.99
Rear Hub Shimano Deore silver CRC £24.99
Rims Mavic open sport 32h silver CRC £45.98
Spokes DT Swiss Competition 296 x48 £27.00
Spokes DT Swiss Champion 294x16 £10.50
Ultegra crankset 52/39/30 ebay used £30.00
Ultegra 6703 Bottom bracket CRC £14.99
Cassette 9sp 11-32 spare £-
Shimano 105 triple front mech CRC £12.99
Shimano SLX long arm rear mech CRC £37.99
Chain SRAM 95 1 CRC £9.99
Shifters Campagnolo Athena 11sp CRC £144.49
Tektro R539 Brakes CRC £43.99
Saddle £70.00
Tyres £50.00
Pedals Shimano M520 £24.99
Mudguards SKS black chromoplastic Wiggle £23.09
?rack £50.00

Discount voucher CRC 17 12 12 -£40.00
Discount voucher CRC 18 12 12 -£15.00

£919.19 + £217.50 = £1136.69
Last edited by jrclimber on 20 Dec 2012, 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

also need;

tubes, rim tapes, cables, headset, top cap, sundry bolts for mudguards (are the brakes AK fitting?), bottle bosses etc if not with frame. Seat pin? Lighting?

Open sports are cheaper from Parker mail order as are PD-M520 (available elsewhere for even less...).
Tektro brakes are £31 from Spa, less still from some other outlets.

I'd suggest going for a 36H rear wheel, for strength, keeping the 32H at the front. The extra weight etc is miniscule.

should be a nice bike.

cheers
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

meic wrote:Is that one of the old 105's which is not supposed to take 30t rear cassettes or one of the new models which is supposed (though only with compact doubles) to take a 30t rear cassette?

Very sorry Meic that I have not answered before but only saw your query today. :oops:
The derailleur is a 105 - 5700-GS.
Shimano documents say maximum 28T sprocket but it is clearing the 30T after adjustment of the "B" screw.
Whether I could squeeze a 32T in there I don't know but might be pushing it.
What I have come to the conclusion is that the 12-30, 10 speed, cassette is a nice spread. Close enough gearing to select a "nicer" cadence but with the extra low gears for climbing. :D
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Dear all,
finally got the 24 tooth sprocket fitted today, took it for a little demo round the car park and it shifts up and down to the middle ring ok, so looking forward to a bit of nice weather. £25 quid Brucey, Thanks
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

sounds like a result!

Might be waiting a while yet for the weather though.... :roll: :roll:

cheers
niggle

Post by niggle »

My lowly Tiagra/Sora mix 9 speed road triple groupset meets the OPs gear range fairly well with a 12-27T cassette a 50,39,30T but with the inner ring swapped for 28T. This can also be reduced to a 26T or 24T to get the gearing even lower, at the expense of slightly fiddly shifting between inner and middle and the Sora STIs have the 'washing line' gear cables with potential issues with fitting a bar bag bag.

However I had heard of the modification of using 90° V-brake 'noodles' where the cable exits the STI to turn the cable out of the way, but never seen this done so did some searching and found these web pages with pictures:

http://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress.com ... -shifters/

http://kentsbike.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06 ... trick.html

ImageImage

http://brazenbicycles.com/Koga-Miyata-Randonneur

Looks quite effective to me in most cases unless the bars are narrow and the bag very large. This would allow use of 8 speed ST2300 STI's or 9 speed Sora STIs with a Shimano road based driver train. ST2300 STIs for 8 spd triple are about £95 a set and are probably previous 8 spd Sora with new labels.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

If I were a novice cyclist I would be very worried now. Fortunately, I am not a novice. I have 130 oln wheels on my audax cum tourer bike, 36 spokes rear and 32 front. I have toured with front and rear panniers and rear only. I generally ride audax and other day rides with a bar bag and rack pack. I am 13.5 stone. I have never broken a spoke nor had a wheel collapse on me. I also have a race bike with factory wheels with 16 front and 20 rear. Never broken a spoke in those either.

Whilst I fully agree that a 135mm hub will be stronger than a 130 mm one built in the same way by the same person using the same materials, I think it is misleading to infer that a 130mm wheel is not fit for purpose on a tourer. That is clearly not true.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

strong, stronger, strongest.

Which is strong enough?

-it depends.....

cheers